Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 7:17pm
Went the shop to buy spuds. I bought 'red potatoes' coz they were BOGOF. And 'ideal for mashing, boiling or roasting'.
Why are there spud varieties such as red, maris piper+ king eddy etc. Why are diff spuds gud for diff ways of cooking them??
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 7:28pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Went the shop to buy spuds. I bought 'red potatoes' coz they were BOGOF. And 'ideal for mashing, boiling or roasting'.
Why are there spud varieties such as red, maris piper+ king eddy etc. Why are diff spuds gud for diff ways of cooking them??

i think its a question of the starch content in the spud!
the more starch the better for mashing i think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 7:29pm
All down to different types of soil I would imagine.

Never sure why though when there is a shortage of spuds the price of ya chips goes up in the Chippy but the price never comes down when the shortage is sorted!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 7:47pm
Ive got chip making down to a fine art!
Cook em on a medium to low heat til soft. Then take them out, whack the heat up full blast . Put them bak in and they crisp up good n proper+ go a nice colour.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 7:52pm
I dont actually take any notice of what spud does wot? I peel em the nite b4 for chips or roasties-dehydrated spuds gud for these.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 8:02pm
Just realised! Mashing+ boiling the same method?? I have peeled a 2.5 kg bag and all are destined to be ate. Only destiny/shape/size will determine wevva YOU (the spud) will be
A. A chip
B. A scallop-crinkle cut
C. A roastie

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 10:52pm
Rite....av got the munchies. Gna do myself some scallops...crinkle cut... Low/medium then whack it up to Hot hot hot!! Dunno wevva to have a chicken escpape hole too?? And if so, mayaswell go the whole hog and have peas??
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 11:33pm
Scallops- crinkle cut. And a 'cheese and onion crispbake'. T'was alrite.
After the 'twenty minute rule' i may eat plusones cheese n onion crispbake, that is currently in the microwave. Hypothetically- wiv his name on it-But-he dusnt know it there+ so i mite eat it, instead???
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 14th Nov 2009 11:57pm
i may eat plusones cheese n onion crispbake. -dusnt know it there+ so i mite eat it, instead???
ITS GONE!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Spuds. - 15th Nov 2009 1:44am
i may eat plusones cheese n onion crispbake. -dusnt know it there+ so i mite eat it, instead???
ITS GONE!!!!!

....and we were all gonna pop round for a late supper!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 17th Nov 2009 10:20pm
Am crap at peeling spuds-peel half the spud away.
Anyway-fried up the peelings-v.v. Nice indeed! Could hardly taste the differance, chips wiv skins on. Ive tryed this before with other type spuds and it tasted shite. Red potatoes- gud!! And as a brucy bonus-rude got roughage. ;-D
Posted By: Tatey Re: Spuds. - 18th Nov 2009 8:16am
My favourites are Lincoln Maris Pipers. If you scrub them before peeling, then roast the peelings in the roasting tray with the rest of the Sunday dinner = heaven!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Spuds. - 18th Nov 2009 7:24pm
King Teds every time - great flavour.

I find reds take longer to cook.

But I do like Smash (for mash eat smash ... giggle, giggle, giggle etc).
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Spuds. - 18th Nov 2009 7:34pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
King Teds every time - great flavour.

I find reds take longer to cook.

But I do like Smash (for mash eat smash ... giggle, giggle, giggle etc).
now your talking yumyum smash!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 18th Nov 2009 7:41pm
Fave 'spud' is a roastie. Reds werent much cop, i found
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Spuds. - 18th Nov 2009 7:41pm
Fave 'spud' is a roastie. Reds werent much cop, i found
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Spuds. - 19th Nov 2009 10:41am
For a change, try Jerusalem Artichokes. A bit arkward to peel but they make smashing chips, nice and crispy. I grow my own but you can get them in the greengrocers.

thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral