Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Salads "Rival Big Macs For Fat" - 25th Jun 2009 8:50am
Pre-packed salads are often not the healthier option, with some supermarket items higher in calories and fat than a Big Mac and fries, a report warns.

Researchers from Which? magazine looked at 20 salads from the major outlets and found many contained a large proportion of the recommended daily intake of fat. At least two had higher quantities than a standard McDonald's meal. Others had misleading labels, Which? said. Retailers said they offered a range of clearly labelled salads.

Smedleys Atlantic Prawn Marie Rose Salad, sold at Morrisons, was highlighted by the magazine as one of the key offenders on the fat and calories front. Which? said it contained 855 calories and 66.3g of fat - nearly half of a woman's recommended daily energy intake of calories and nearly all of the fat.

In comparison, a Big Mac and medium fries contains 820 calories and 40g of fat - although this meal does contain twice as much saturated fat as the prawn salad.

Ive always said, that anything you buy nowadays, is full of crap, one way or another, and these so called "health" foods are usually just a marketing ploy to get more cash out of people, and whilst they may be healthy in some aspects, they usually make up for it in other aspects...

Imho, just buy what you like, its all gonna make a turd, and if you believe what the do-gooders say, its all gonna kill you in the end!

I know a couple of people who would'nt dream of eating a Big Mac because "they are oh so unhealthy" but would buy a salad or a subway without hesitation - and Subway are by far the most unhealthy option of the lot.

BBC News Report
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Salads "Rival Big Macs For Fat" - 25th Jun 2009 8:53am
Salad is salad - its the sauce / mayo they put on it that piles the fat / calories on.... frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Salads "Rival Big Macs For Fat" - 25th Jun 2009 9:03am
Originally Posted by Beaker
Salad is salad - its the sauce / mayo they put on it that piles the fat / calories on.... frown

With GM crops and the like, I wouldnt be surprised if even lettuce contained hidden nasties nowadays! Not that its gonna stop me eating it (dunt like salads tho lol).
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Salads "Rival Big Macs For Fat" - 25th Jun 2009 9:04am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
With GM crops and the like, I wouldnt be surprised if even lettuce contained hidden nasties nowadays!

raftl raftl raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral