Forums
Posted By: lincle Strange happenings - 15th Mar 2018 12:56pm
Oooooh some weird people about . Last night I put my bin out for collection as usual.This morning I went to bring it in but it had gone. Some of you may not think that's unusual but the bin collection hadn't taken place so whoever took it also took two weeks rubbish as well so if you spot it on Wiki for sale please let me know or if you took it ,keep the rubbish,return the bin which is clearly marked as I can't afford £37 to replace it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Strange happenings - 15th Mar 2018 2:48pm
They used to replace stolen bins for free, worth an ask?
Posted By: lincle Re: Strange happenings - 15th Mar 2018 4:07pm
Thanks Digging,not holding out any hope but worth a try .Will ring now
Posted By: lincle Re: Strange happenings - 15th Mar 2018 4:29pm
Rang the Council ,Digging, great bloke but all he can do is send me 5 stickers to put on bin bags which the collectors will take. Ring again in a fortnight if bin not returned & they will send out a new one ,cost £37 . Oh well there goes my cold weather payment ☃
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Strange happenings - 15th Mar 2018 5:39pm
I think the grey ones are free, but I could be wrong.

Some time ago I read a newspaper columnist (can't remember his name) who heard a noise one evening and investigated to find a shamefaced neighbour at his bins. It appeared the neighbour had received a letter from the council pointing out that he wasn't recycling enough and might be fined! It turned out he (the neighbour) was something of a keen organic cook and bought very little prepackaged food, growing much of it in his allotment, so there was very little he COULD recycle. This cut no ice with the council who assumed he was bunging everything in the landfill bin.

The two came to an arrangement in which they would share their rubbish, and keep the council happy.
Posted By: lincle Re: Strange happenings - 15th Mar 2018 6:45pm
At the moment a grey ( ?) bin is half price for a limited period. I did ask if I could use my useless brown bin instead if I covered it in green sticky backed plastic. At least the bloke laughed so he was happy. Kind neighbour has offered the use of hers & my Daughter will also take my rubbish away.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Strange happenings - 16th Mar 2018 3:35pm
Sometimes, bins fall into the wagon. If that happens, the bin men are supposed to report it and if they do you get a free replacement. If they don't, that's it. You have to pay. We now have two green and two grey ones due to disappearance, followed (when we've bought a new bin) reappearance some weeks later!
Posted By: lincle Re: Strange happenings - 16th Mar 2018 4:22pm
Wish that had happened Ex but the wagon hadn't been ,the collectors were still 10 minutes down the road.They have promised to look for it . Luckily a neighbour now has no need for her spare bin as her family have left home so she is going to let me have it if mine doesn't turn up. I think it's so wrong to have to pay when it's taken ,the Council insist on bins being near to the road for easy collection but won't be responsible if some thief in the night goes off with it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Strange happenings - 16th Mar 2018 5:11pm
I think flats get free bins as well, yet another way landlords are subsidised.

So badly thought out are wheelie bins, you have no control over who robs it, no control over other people putting the wrong type of rubbish in your bin and then when its windy there is nothing you can do to prevent it getting blown over. They are also pretty impracticable to clean.
Posted By: lincle Re: Strange happenings - 17th Mar 2018 10:34am
There must be many houses with more green bins than needed.The Council will collect them but what happens to them then ? A good idea would be to give them free to people who have had their bin nicked .
Posted By: cools Re: Strange happenings - 17th Mar 2018 10:42am
Think you will have to put your bin out in the morning before they come lincle.. used to put mine out overnight but would find all sorts of rubbish that I hadn't put in, dog poo bags etc and worse.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Strange happenings - 17th Mar 2018 2:11pm
I don't have a problem with people using my bin as a public bin when it is out, its better than throwing it on the floor or throwing it over your wall.

Where the problem lies is others putting rubbish in the wrong bin or overloading your bin then the binmen refuse to empty it and you could face a fine.
Posted By: lincle Re: Strange happenings - 23rd Mar 2018 6:21pm
20.30 Wednesday evening two blokes were seen towing another neighbours bin down the road, also full of rubbish. Another neighbour gave chase & the bin was abandoned in a bus shelter two streets away. We now have a rough idea where they're coming from & the time so will be watching out. We think they're just messing about but don't realise that bins aren't free .
Posted By: Peter88 Re: Strange happenings - 21st Apr 2018 8:00pm
If your bin is stolen, call the police (non emergency line) and report it as stolen, they'll provide you wit ha crime reference number and then contact the council and report the bin as stolen and provide the crime reference number and your bin will be replaced for free. That's how it works with Liverpool and Sefton Councils, so I assume Wirral Council will be the same.
Posted By: Near_Oval Re: Strange happenings - 27th Apr 2018 9:06am
Just to note - wheelie bins have been observed being used in the process of theft - boiler removed from empty property and was slid into a wheelie bin and subsequently moved to vehicle for taking away.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral