Forums
Posted By: little_pob LOST: Car key - 31st May 2017 6:37pm
The key has fallen out of my car key whilst I was at J1 today. I had it before going into Aldi; but not once I got back to the car. Fortunately, because it's "keyless", I can open and start the car without it.

Aldi have my phone number if anyone hands it in there. But if anyone finds it, sees anything on Facebook, or hands it in elsewhere (e.g. M&S, B&Q, Police Station); please let me know via PM.
Posted By: j_demo Re: LOST: Car key - 31st May 2017 10:46pm
Keyless doesn't mean anyone can just walk up and open and atart the car, the key needs to be in the vicinity. So the key was there but you couldn't see it. May have been under the car or fell down the side of the seat?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: LOST: Car key - 1st Jun 2017 8:01am
Which Aldi might give us a clue.
Posted By: Dilly Re: LOST: Car key - 1st Jun 2017 8:09am
Ex as he said it was J1 that might give you a clue as to which ALDI it was. Read the post again!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: LOST: Car key - 1st Jun 2017 11:12am
J1?

Posted By: Dilly Re: LOST: Car key - 1st Jun 2017 11:27am
Yes junction 1 .
Posted By: Finney Re: LOST: Car key - 1st Jun 2017 2:26pm
Junction 1, M53, Bidston Moss.
Posted By: Near_Oval Re: LOST: Car key - 2nd Jun 2017 7:41am
Not sure about all keyless cars but ours works as follows - you walk up to it and door is opened by anyone, providing keyholder is in close enough proximity, same goes for starting car, if key is inside car itself, press button and it starts,

If I walk away with key, it self locks after a short amount of time, and anyone walking up to it cannot open it if I am far enough away - not tested for distance but cant be more that a few metres at most.

If i walked from parking space to shops and key had been lost in shops, i wouldnt be able to open, or start, the car.

If key is in immediate vicinty of car when you returned, you would be able to unlock and start it, to drive it away. If key had fallen under the car, this could have enabled you to drive it away but would either remain unlocked, or self lock when you arrived at next destination?

Or alternatively you may have had too many pockets/bags and inadvertently still had the key, so letting you open and start car to drive away?
Posted By: Madge Re: LOST: Car key - 2nd Jun 2017 4:41pm
if you can start open and drive the car then the key is in the car somewhere, as if you drive off without the key say for instance my hubby has the key fob which is`keyless` if he has the fob in his pocket and i dont have one and he gets out i can drive off but when i move away from him after a few feet the car starts binging and telling me its out of range, so its in the car somehwere you just need to find it, what car is it by the way
Posted By: little_pob Re: LOST: Car key - 9th Jun 2017 8:07pm
Apologies for late reply.

It's a 1 series BMW, which has a fob + hidden key:

[Linked Image]
(photo from ebay)

I have the fob, which is needed for the central locking, and must be slotted in the dash to start the car. It's the hidden key that I've lost.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral