Forums
Posted By: Steve123 Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 9:00am
Just been talking With friends in work and they say the hoylake lifeboat day is still ging ahead??

I haven't seen any news about it or anything

Hope it's on always a good day out at the beach and it's for a great reason too
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 9:06am
Looks like it is on but not going to be as busy

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...t-hoylake-rnli-open-day-100252-29304853/

Let's hope people still go smile
Posted By: Nigel Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 9:34am
They do the same ever year, that's why no one event is as busy as it could be, ie Matthew street in Liverpool, Lifeboat in Hoylake and Food and drink festival in Spital. Cant they spread um out over the Year FFS?
Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 11:10am
looking forward to it, leasowe lighthouse is open as well i think, should be a busy day
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 11:39am
I know what you mean having 3 events on the same weekend then non for months it does seem abit silly, ill be going the lifeboat day it's always been a good day out and I like to show my support for the great work the rnli do seen as the government don't give them a penny
Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 11:41am
quite happy to give it out to scroungers though, never understood that
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 12:23pm
That's so true dave, they will give dole Money to all these di** heads who will never do a days work in there life. And then there's the rnli that safe 1000s of lives and don't even get a pound!! That's what's so wrong about this country
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 12:47pm
I can recommend The Plasterers Arms in Back Seaview. Outside band and bar open all day!! :-)
Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 3:02pm
Originally Posted by Steve123
That's so true dave, they will give dole Money to all these di** heads who will never do a days work in there life. And then there's the rnli that safe 1000s of lives and don't even get a pound!! That's what's so wrong about this country

or lads on the ground in ganners who average just under 3 quid an hour. get paid for 8 hours a day but do 20. dont get me wrong its there to be used if needed but its not there to be abused. maybe scroungers can go to the rnli and paint the kerbs outside in pure briliant gloss
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 5:54pm
Just been talking With friends in work and they say the hoylake lifeboat day is still ging ahead??

I haven't seen any news about it or anything

The lifeboat day was always going to be on it just sadly wont have the red Arrows there like it was originally supposed to for obvious reasons.

Their website is utterly crap but for what its worth here is the page for the open day. It does not mention the attractions though.

http://www.hoylakelifeboat.org.uk/open_day.htm

And the poster. From this I can see that the Spitfire will be making an appearance again this year. I saw it last year and it looked and sounded great.
[Linked Image]

Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 6:45pm
the websitereminds me of the acronym KISS, keep it simple stupid
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 7:26pm
Its 2011 now. It looks like a website from the late 90s. The picture is not the original jpeg and not even a scan of the poster but a photo taken of a poster pinned on an old cork notice board probably on the wall in the sailing club doorway ffs.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 26th Aug 2011 7:54pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Its 2011 now. It looks like a website from the late 90s. The picture is not the original jpeg and not even a scan of the poster but a photo taken of a poster pinned on an old cork notice board probably on the wall in the sailing club doorway ffs.

made in ms word lol
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 27th Aug 2011 11:40am
Stop moaning there all volunteers, if your so go at web sites pop in and give them a hand
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 27th Aug 2011 4:32pm
I am not 'so go ' at websites and I don't profess to be but if I wanted one I would get someone to do it who knew how to.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 27th Aug 2011 5:22pm
Stop moaning there all volunteers, if your so go at web sites pop in and give them a hand

i do enough volunteering, why dont you go volunteer
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 27th Aug 2011 10:51pm
As per the poster this event on Monday not Sunday
Posted By: Hoof_Hearted Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 27th Aug 2011 10:52pm
Gutted. Some of us have to work frown Unfortunately I don't get bank holidays off unless I book it or it's my day off shift wise.

Hope everyone has a great day though.
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 27th Aug 2011 10:56pm
But that costs money mate
Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 28th Aug 2011 1:00pm
went down today, their frantically setting up lol, shud be good tomorrow
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 8:03am
Shame about the weather
Posted By: dave_h Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 5:01pm
wasnt too bad, shame there wasnt more people there
Posted By: PaulTaters Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 5:36pm
Originally Posted by dave_h
wasnt too bad, shame there wasnt more people there

Yes I really enjoyed it and whilst there were quite a few people there (in fact more than I'd expected), in previous years there were often many more than this. I remember the queues of traffic going back along the A553 Birkenhead Road for a couple of miles and the hordes of people that used to gather around the old lifeboat station to watch the aircraft displays. Sadly and as expected the Red Arrows understandably could not perform this time and the weather wasn't great. Also with other events going on, it all may have resulted in reduced attendance. Also, they don't seem to have the micro-lights any more do they? (unless I missed them).

I hope that next year, the weather is more favourable and also that the Red Arrows will be back again.

Good to see though that of the people who were there, most seemed to be enthusiastically donating either directly, or by buying things or playing the various games and raffles etc..

It is unfortunate though that the amount of donations that this event generates can depend on things like the weather, so I hope they are more lucky next year!

I always walk to the event, there and back from Birkenhead (one of my hobbies is hiking). Instead of paying train fare, I'd rather give the money to the RNLI.

Anyway, I took some photos, will upload a few shortly. smile
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 5:50pm
Did anyone else get a wave from the stunt plane pilot?.

Attached picture lbd-2087.jpg

Description: Hello
Attached picture wave.jpg
Posted By: PaulTaters Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 5:53pm
In this dice game, you had to roll 7 sixes. It was a bit of fun to donate a quid. laugh
[Linked Image]

Quite like these planters, fashioned in the shapes of various animals.
[Linked Image]

I bought one of these Red Arrows hand-made fridge magnets. Proceeds go to the friends of the Red Arrows.
[Linked Image]

This car could be won. Funny that the reg plate said "WIND" and it was a little bit windy today.
[Linked Image]

Spidermen
[Linked Image]

One of the many vehicles in use by the RNLI
[Linked Image]

The petition to save Liverpool coastguard
[Linked Image]

The old lifeboat station, now the museum
[Linked Image]

Model lifeboat inside the museum
[Linked Image]

The new lifeboat station
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There were some aircraft displays
[Linked Image]

Fairground
[Linked Image]

Stuffed toys
[Linked Image]

Ribble bus
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PaulTaters Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 5:57pm
Great pictures of the stunt pilot, Kev! laugh
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 6:01pm
Thanks Paul. Yours are great too. You covered the event well. The weather turned terrible when I was there. I hardly got the camera out.
Posted By: PaulTaters Re: Hoylake lifeboat open day this Sunday?? - 29th Aug 2011 6:05pm
Thanks, yes it wasn't the best weather for photography was it?

Nearly got rain drops on the lens of my compact camera a couple of times, had to put the camera away for a while. The wind was blowing the rain sideways a bit.

I was there quite early and when I left, there were a few more heavy showers on the way back.

Just glad to get some photos. laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral