Forums
Posted By: Helles Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 4:16pm
Some clown(s) have sprayed graffiti all over the banks in Liscard. I'm all for political protest but why deface our town? It achieves nothing and sets people against their cause who might have been sympathetic.

Posted By: torryman Re: Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 4:20pm
Couldn't agree more.... mindless jerks
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 8:51pm
withthat
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 9:02pm
and half of them are probs on the dole anyway and have no idea about political ideologies and why we are going through what we are.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 9:25pm
why is it anything gets done and its always people on the dole who get the blame for it.

new things your kids will now get to know in school

1. who started world war 1 and 2
someone on the dole
2. who made the a-bomb
someone on the dole
3 who started the fire of london
someone on the dole

just cos someone is on the dole doesn't mean they are running around doing all this same as saying all kids are yobs.

yes I work from home and I'm looking for a other job as I could be working this week then f all for two weeks, but I am not on drugs don't drink got no kids.

but if it makes you feel better then go ahead

remeber MP'S Don't rob do they raftl
Posted By: Shambo Re: Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 9:52pm
I must confess it made me chuckle when I first saw it yesterday, but I don't condone that sort of thing. It seemed a little futile to me and I'm sure it'll be removed soon.
The mention of the death of Steve Biko suggests it was somebody who was around student age in the late 70's. Maybe one of the last of the angry young men and certainly no stranger to political ideologies. The connection between Liscards high street banks and anti-apartheid activism in South Africa isn't immediately apparent. Could very possibly be someone on the dole, maybe recently made unemployed? There's alot of it about. sherlock
Posted By: tango Re: Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 10:34pm
saw the graffiti also - obviously they did not spend a great deal of time at school as they can not spell
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Liscard Banks - 4th Jul 2011 10:45pm
Kids were off school end of last week, usual increases of keying and graffiti when bored kids around.

Long school holidays coming up soon - great!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 5:52am
So where are the photo's then?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 6:08am
The defacing of property (graffiti) should be met if caught with a prison sentence of about 2 to 3 years, that way, these idiots might think twice before doing it, but lets not just stop at a certain few, what message does it send out when the likes of Banksy is held in such an iconic status, to me he is no better than the ... that done Liscard, and yet there seems to be a law for one and a different law for others, they are all scumbags in my eyes.
Isn't it strange the only qualification one needs to become a scumbag is being unemployed, nothing to do with education, upbringing and a level of decency, just unemployment, lose your job = scumbag, never been lucky to get a job =scumbag. Now i daresay someone will come back and say, not all unemployed just the scumbags.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 7:05am
I don't understand what all the caffufle is?

I'll have to view this 'graffiti' and decide for oneself if it's worth all this caffufle.

(I very much doubt it is). Old timers really get edgy about this sort of vandalism, why? I haven't the foggiest confused
It's only ink\paint, it comes off AND it keeps John, Fred, bill & Frank off the DOLE!

wink
Posted By: delta6 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 7:06am
what did the graffiti say?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 7:16am
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I'll have to view this 'graffiti' and decide for oneself if it's worth all this caffufle.

(I very much doubt it is). Old timers really get edgy about this sort of vandalism, why? I haven't the foggiest confused
It's only ink\paint, it comes off AND it keeps John, Fred, bill & Frank off the DOLE!

wink

You might have a different view if it was all over your house or your beloved car.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 7:22am
Bert, like I said, it comes off.
Yes it's an eyesore but it's not a major problem and it's not permanent.

If things like this didn't happen there would be more unemployment, think about it smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 7:37am
Ste, there's right and wrong in this world and we can't start accepting wrongs to help unemployment, we may as well start WW3, everyone would be employed then, if its a wrong doing, no matter how easy it is to put right, it shouldn't be done. wrong is wrong.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 7:42am
That's a very strange view of the world, but I understand what you're trying to say with that. I suppose everyone should just throw their litter on the floor too, as then someone can be employed to pick it up, in the same way I suppose we should leave our dog dirt, Kevin can be employed to walk round picking it up. I think you're singlehandedly solved the unemployment problem. Have you considered writing to the Prime Minister?

It doesn't bother me personally as I never set foot in Liscard, there are no shops there that could ever interest me and it's an extra 5 mins in the car and I'm in Birkenhead or Liverpool.

Still, my old Nan who lives a 5 min walk away and doesn't drive is sad to see the state of the place, she harps on about the good old days of Marks and Spencer and some half decent shops.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 8:03am
Originally Posted by bert1
Ste, there's right and wrong in this world and we can't start accepting wrongs to help unemployment, we may as well start WW3, everyone would be employed then, if its a wrong doing, no matter how easy it is to put right, it shouldn't be done. wrong is wrong.

smack
I didn't say it was right bert but what on earth can we do about it?
The damage has been done so why go on about it?
If it's anything like the graffiti above the shoemarket (which has been there for about 6 months) yes it's very much an eyesore but there's no point moaning on here about it is there?
Contact Angela eagle ffs no
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 8:06am
Alex stop with the sarcastic comments.
Posted By: paulph1972 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 8:08am
Any pics guys?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 8:22am
Alex stop with the sarcastic comments.

I said I understood what you were trying to say but used a very similar analogy that you did to show how I didn't particularly agree with it.

Posted By: tango Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 8:31am
tolerance of these acts, condones more, yes it is only paint, but on some one elses property, just another example of society by its acceptance, constantly lowering the bar to accomodate the simple minded
Posted By: bert1 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 8:35am
Well said Tango.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 8:57am
Spot on.

"It's OK, someone will clean it off"

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 9:30am
no wake up to reality, this is the real world, not some fantasy dreamworld.
Things like this happen, get used to it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 9:36am
no wake up to reality, this is the real world, not some fantasy dreamworld.
Things like this happen, get used to it.

That's precisely the attitude that means it will carry on.

Unfortunately you are probably right, there's more ... locally than there ever has been, you only need to look out of the car window in the middle of Liscard to see that.

Doesn't mean we need to 'get used to it' and tolerate it though, does it. It's still something we should get angry about and attempt to prevent happening again.

I would hate to see the state of the place in a few years time with you and that attitude in charge.

I'm not slagging your views off, just strongly disagreeing with them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 10:06am
I disagree to Ste... Seen this, Sat night it got done, maybe if Gordon brown never turned the CCTV off around Wallasey last year we may have some one for it now or may not have even done it.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 10:35am
Humans have been and carving names and splashing paint on stone and wood since we used to live in caves and bang rocks together. It isn't an indictment of a drop in the standards of society so please stop with the hand wringing.
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Kids were off school end of last week, usual increases of keying and graffiti when bored kids around.

Long school holidays coming up soon - great!
I'll say it again... younger people will not have heard of or care about Steve Biko so that's either a brilliant red herring or your completely wrong to assume it's just typical feral kid behaviour. It was probably done by a fourty/fifty year old, male, drunk, and with a grudge against the banks, (maybe recently lost their job/home or somesuch).
It's also my opinion that, whoever it was has got a good idea about whose behaviour is most detrimental to society, more so than those than those who simply choose to blame 'dole ...' for... well everything.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 10:45am
...and if you're wondering and it's removed before you see it, the graffiti is daubed across mostly Lloyds tsd and Barclays banks and IIRC goes along the lines of 'anarchy', 'steve biko murdered' and 'f**k the banks', (except I've spelt it right innit).
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 10:51am
I didn't say we had to tolerate it.

I'm right so there's no point in arguing about it.

It will happen again, the racist graffiti around Birkenhead is a prime example and that was in a large mixed race area.

I rest my case, now shh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 10:54am

wink Pish, it just means you've run out of argument.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:02am
Originally Posted by bert1

I am an 'old timer' and don't like most graffiti. Banksy is very welcome to put a mural on my wall and I think the 'Hub Festival' in Liverpool is great for young graffiti artists to show off their talent without upsetting the general population.Coupled with the jumping off walls thing-I don't remember what it is called, and the bike stunts it's a good festival for all ages.

Political graffiti say in Belfast or Berlin, has had historic value and part of tourist trail.
Graffiti in Liscard is probably beyond the pale.

I lived in Liscard when young and it is true when M&S went it was the death-knell and you need to go as stated today on the forum, further afield for most shopping.

wink

You might have a different view if it was all over your house or your beloved car.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:17am
Originally Posted by Nobody

wink Pish, it just means you've run out of argument.

laugh no, it means I'm right and not really interested anymore.
Posted By: Helles Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:20am
Get used to it! No, no and no. If you think this black stuff will come of the material that Barclays bank is built of then you are much mistaken. Possibly if they sand blast the whole building but I bet you will see where it was if not. It is not just a tiny bit of graffiti, but daubed across the walls of three banks. Santander was given the treatment also.

If people accept this as the norm then we might as well give up now. I live in Liscard and it has problems the same as other places but we don't have to make it worse by condoning this kind of thing, no matter what you feel about financial institutions. They don't give a toss anyway because none of the major players would live within two hundred miles of the North West.

Posted By: SUExx Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:32am
[quote=Helles]

If people accept this as the norm then we might as well give up now.

There are lots of things i dont want to except as the norm but at times its a battle.
Posted By: delta6 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:35am
no-one has said what was written yet.
can anyone update us?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:42am
Originally Posted by delta6
no-one has said what was written yet.
can anyone update us?

Originally Posted by Shambo
...and if you're wondering and it's removed before you see it, the graffiti is daubed across mostly Lloyds tsd and Barclays banks and IIRC goes along the lines of 'anarchy', 'steve biko murdered' and 'f**k the banks', (except I've spelt it right innit).
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:43am
Who is steve Biko anyway?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:47am

It was an American Sit com from the 60s featuring Phil Silvers wink
Posted By: rocks Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:48am

withthat
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:49am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner

Posted By: rocks Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:50am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner

so as stated by someone earlier it has to be older person not young kids!!
Posted By: SUExx Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 11:51am
thought that was seargent bilko lol.
his name was ernest in it.

Posted By: delta6 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 12:02pm
cheers softy - didnt see that in all the heated discussions that were going on above!!
Posted By: delta6 Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 12:07pm
Originally Posted by rocks

withthat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Biko
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 12:16pm
Steve Biko was a black activist in South Africa who was fatally injured by the police during interrogation.

Various British universities have buildings named after him and there are quite a few references to him in music, some quite recent.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 3:11pm
I can find the Bilko series on You Tube but no sign of the Biko series!
Is it available on DVD?? doh
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Liscard Banks - 5th Jul 2011 4:35pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
I can find the Bilko series on You Tube but no sign of the Biko series!
Is it available on DVD?? doh

Look up Wikipedia for 1987 Film called 'Cry Freedom'.
Cry Freedom is a 1987 British drama film directed by Richard Attenborough, set in the late 1970s, during the apartheid era of South Africa. It was written from a screenplay by John Briley based on a pair of books by journalist Donald Woods. The film centres around the real-life events involving black activist Steve Biko and his friend Donald Woods, who initially finds him destructive, and attempts to understand his way of life. Denzel Washington stars as Biko, while actor Kevin Kline portrays Woods. Cry Freedom delves into the ideas of discrimination, political corruption, and the repercussions of violence.

The film was primarily shot on location in Zimbabwe due to political turmoil in South Africa at the time of production. As a film showing mostly in limited cinematic release, it was nominated for multiple awards.

It is so moving that not a word was said in the cinema when it ended. Worth getting out on DVD or checking out on You-Tube
Posted By: MediKated Re: Liscard Banks - 6th Jul 2011 9:00am
May be slated for this but my daughter has heard rumours and whispers that the large group of gothy kids that hang in central park had something to do with it (not being a bitch because of what/who they are, my older teens are gothy rockers and know a lot of that group of teens). They were out in force after school last night siting in the benched area right by the graffiti and there wasnt the slightest hint that they had anything to do with it but you apparantly a few of them have been bragging around school about doing it. *shrug*
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Banks - 6th Jul 2011 9:05am
We should never believe Chinese whispers. And they wil not be welcome hear very much smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral