Forums
Posted By: 233Chris Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 1:03pm
There appears to have been a few of these now. See Darrenl's post. A neighbour of mine got hit last night, reckons at about 3:30 - 4:00am. Took his car keys and made of with the car and other loot while he slept upstairs. Police are warning people with uPVC doors to make sure that they are locked properly, not just on the latch -- turn the key. See http://www.merseyside.police.uk/index.aspx?articleid=10492
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 1:07pm
Get a good home security alarm an cctv.

that what helps me sleep at night......
Posted By: darrenl Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 1:27pm
sorry to hear someone else has had there home broken into,the community police came friday night to say about the upvc doors,and how easy they are to get in to,there was also a couple more break ins thurs night,so it seems its organized whoever is doing it,were about does you neighbour live and what car was stolen so we can keep a eye out
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 1:35pm
Who on earth doesn't lock their doors properly when they go to bed!?

Posted By: 233Chris Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 1:41pm
I don't want to give out too much info on a (semi)public forum, but we are really close by to you.The car is a sort of 4x4 jeep thing, its got markings on it that make it 'one of a kind'. The theives are going to know this and do what is necessary. You'll be really lucky to see it, it'll be well covered and long gone by now. The police will deal with that aspect. The important thing is to be aware. Lock your uPvc doors properly. Taxi drivers, night shift workers and insomniacs keep an eye out, especially around upvc doors. Nighttime wanderers,- don't be suprised if you get stopped by police. They are going to be looking for those going equipped. If you here a car start in the early hours, then get suspicious and do the right thing. Its just a matter of time before they are caught.
Posted By: 233Chris Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 1:53pm
The door was locked in the sense that it could not be opened from the outside. But could still be opened from inside. Like with a traditional yale lock / night latch. Some people don't like to actually lock themselves in, in case of fire etc. It seems reasonable as you're not allowing access from the outside. More cautious people 'deadlock' the door, so you need a key to get out. The theives are taking advantage of these 'nightlatch locked' doors. Deadlock it, its more secure. You risk getting locked in but while these 'door technicians' are on the loose its probably worth the risk. Also, stash your car keys. There is every chance that these theives have had access to houses, not got car keys, and so left and shut the door. The householder may be none the wiser. Once they have the car keys, they just press the fob to find the car. The alarm actually points them in the right direction. Then they grab what they can and make off in their 'getaway'.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 2:34pm
Originally Posted by Nobody

Exactly!. Probably the same people who moan when their expensive power tools have been robbed from the flimsy wooden shed in the garden they keep them in.
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 3:42pm
You wouldn't be saying that if it was your car lad!!! Or your tools would you
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 4:25pm
Originally Posted by 233Chris
The door was locked in the sense that it could not be opened from the outside. But could still be opened from inside. Like with a traditional yale lock / night latch. Some people don't like to actually lock themselves in, in case of fire etc.

Lock yourselves in and leave a key on the way down the stairs, that's what I do.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 4:26pm
Originally Posted by Steve123

My car has never been stolen, nor have my tools.

If they were, I'd feel stupid about leaving them in a shed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 4:27pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Originally Posted by Nobody

Exactly!. Probably the same people who moan when their expensive power tools have been robbed from the flimsy wooden shed in the garden they keep them in.

I'm with you mate.

My keys live out of the way of the front door but somewhere people can find them if they want to. I'd rather they took my car that woke me up with a knife demanding to know where they are. You can't protect yourself 100% but you can try and discourage them.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 4:29pm
where abouts in wallasey did it happen?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 4:53pm
Originally Posted by Steve123

I would not be stupid enough to leave anything expensive or that can be used to break into my house in a shed nor would I leave my front door not locked properly over night or the car keys anywhere but next to my bed. Lad.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 5:04pm
My keys are left on the bottom step so I know where they are in case of emergency but they are our of sight / reach from the front door
Posted By: GillnMick Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 8:34pm
Our Cherokee was stolen a few years ago. The police found it embedded in the coop on borough rd the following night.

They had pushed the car down the road before starting it, without the keys.

Posted By: oscarpops Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 26th Jun 2011 8:55pm
I always lock the front door of a night and keep me door and car keys out of sight especially when the other half is on nights
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 8:00am
Always lock and alarm when we go to bed.

Hope the car turns up!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 8:30am
We make sure our PVC door is locked at night and the key is left in on the inside so that in case of fire we have easy egress. The car keys are kept well hidden and well away from the door. The key left in the door also makes sure that it can't be opened from the outside, just in case there is a duplicate key anywhere. We always, always, check all windows and doors before going up to our chariot.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 9:16am
Come on give the guy a break, he has had his car robbed ffs yes he knows that he should of locked his door. ( when it's to late) but come on if the tip rats want the car and to get into his house so bad they will. A door locked is not going to make you safe even a alarm won't if they want it they will get it end of. smile
Posted By: ema_lou Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 9:55am
withthat yes they failed to lock their door (for whatever reason - we can all forget things sometimes) they have paid their price for their error and probably won't forget again! Its a shame that the ... who did it doesn't know how to make an honest living for themselves instead of taking from those that do.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 10:20am
These posts seem to be making the victim into the criminal going by some of the remarks
It's the ones who do the stealing that are the criminals.
What really frightens me is the thought of them being able to kick in your door and storming in as has recently happened in the news. If that wasn't gang or drug related I feel sorry for the householder who defended himself by stabbing one.
Anyway I hope the car turns up safe and sound
Posted By: bert1 Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 11:12am
Unfortunatly these people may not have forgotten to lock their doors, I've mentioned on here before and i can't name the actual item for obvious reasons, there is a device available that will unlock all types of cylinder locks, which are Yale type locks and locks fitted to the majority of UPVC doors. I've seen it demonstrated at a trade fair and its easily available on the web. Until homeowners start fixing mortise locks and secondary internal bolts etc, it will carry on and people will go on thinking they haven't locked their doors when they have.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 11:19am
A locksmith I called out not too long ago had one of them, was in the back door of our conservatory within seconds.

Lines up the pins or something and hey presto.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 11:23am
So you will understand having seen it for yourself that people don't necessarily leave their doors unlocked as they think. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a secondary lock.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 11:40am
On the lock cylinder fitted to my uPVC door, if the door is locked from within AND the key is left in the cylinder, you can't use another key (or Bert's ACME Openall Key ?) to try and open the door from the other side. I don't know if this is a peculiarity of this lock or it happens on all similar ones.

There is the very obvious flaw in this sketch of course. Some low life could smash the glass, reach through and turn the key. On double glazed hardened glass that would not be the quietest or quickest of operations.

Bert's suggestion of an additional bolt makes a lot of sense. It would slow the barstewards down, giving you plenty of time to release the safety catch on "Old Betsy" !!
Posted By: darrenl Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 11:47am
yeah the locksmith who came to change are locks showed us how easy it is,recommended we get a chain to put on the door as the thieves just want to be in and out without any fuss and no noise.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 11:52am
Pinz, leaving the key in the lock is fine providing its not left in the perfect vertical position. No need to explain, However on the Yale type locks fitted to the old timber doors and without the backup of a bolt or mortise lock, please come in and help yourself.
Posted By: LilJen Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 1:18pm
ma car got btoken into as wwell last week, my fault like, left a sat nav on the window diden I so only myself to blame.

went in thru the side window, glass ripped leather which is a pain in the ass like but not to worry im back now sorted it amen
Posted By: Handbag Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 7:39pm
I had mine stolen about a fortnight ago in Wallasey...

My fault too as I bought an old style Micra, which was easy to get into...

I hate listening to people blaming themselves when stuff gets nicked.. its not their fault its the little scumbags who are dragged up with no respect for anyone or their property... Why should we be constantly paranoid about security etc and blame ourselves its like making excuses for the delinquent, moronic ... who steal from decent people.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Another stolen car Wallasey - 27th Jun 2011 8:53pm
Originally Posted by Handbag
...I hate listening to people blaming themselves when stuff gets nicked.. its not their fault its the little scumbags who are dragged up with no respect for anyone or their property... Why should we be constantly paranoid about security etc and blame ourselves its like making excuses for the delinquent, moronic ... who steal from decent people.
[sarky]Obviously the UK doesn't have enough CCTV cameras yet. [/sarky]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral