Forums
Posted By: cools Flooding - 1st Aug 2019 5:15pm
Just watching news and really feel for these poor people getting flooded out year after year. It seems a regular occurrence now so I think they will really have to think about building on stilts well some kind if rubber pillars to take you upwards in these areas, don’t think they can stop it happening...
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Flooding - 1st Aug 2019 6:36pm
I have a friend in Bewdley; some new town houses were built a while ago close to the river Severn. The ground floor was just covered parking for car, and bin store. Accommodation was on 1st and 2nd floors. When a flood warning came, it was just a case of driving the car up to the car park at the top of the hill and tying up the bins. Can't speak for drains, but living spaces were safe from immersion. Doesn't solve the problem for older properties, but newbuilds should be designed to deal with it. The land where that new estate by Fender Farm was built was mounded up a good few feet before building started.
Posted By: cools Re: Flooding - 1st Aug 2019 7:22pm
That sounds sensible Greenwood, that’s the way to go.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Flooding - 1st Aug 2019 9:34pm
£800m a year spent on flood defence and yet the damage each year still tops £2bn, I guess they spend most of it on meetings and presentations!
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Flooding - 1st Aug 2019 10:25pm
Glad I'm not anywhere near Whaley Bridge tonight... now THAT'S flooding in a big way - possibly, but hopefully not. Obviously I hope fervently that the dam holds, but if it's breached that's going to put things into a whole different league - very scary indeed.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Flooding - 2nd Aug 2019 4:53pm
The Govt and EA pulled a blinder putting the dam under the Canal and River Trust ownership.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Flooding - 2nd Aug 2019 5:45pm
And local council putting the community centre and school straight beneath it!

Originally Posted by fish5133
The Govt and EA pulled a blinder putting the dam under the Canal and River Trust ownership.

Even cleverer than that, its a charity, that means they get money from the lottery and donations from the public. Does this Government actually spend any of the money it gets, British Waterways used to be wholly owned by the Government.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral