Forums
Posted By: granny Venezuela Crisis - 2nd Feb 2019 3:02pm
Here we go again. US backing for Mr Guaidó as the new President of Venezuela . Mr Guaido calling for nationwide rallies to happen today.
Military will support Maduro (obviously) . I read somewhere that US had already positioned aircraft in Columbia.. (but that might not be accurate)

The settings for another civil war.

Maduro should go, but for it to happen this way , would appear to be embarking on a blood bath, again . I blame John Bolton, he's nothing but a war merchant , an advisor in all the wars in the oil rich countries, since and including Iraq .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-47101291

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Venezuela Crisis - 2nd Feb 2019 4:17pm
There is no way that other capitalist countries are going to allow the 8th richest country in the world become rich.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Venezuela Crisis - 3rd Feb 2019 1:20am
chance for Trump to don his camo jacket...like all the previous Presidents who have presided over war
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Venezuela Crisis - 3rd Feb 2019 10:06am
How utterly tragic that a country with such rich reserves should have got itself into such a disastrous mess that it can't feed its people.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Venezuela Crisis - 3rd Feb 2019 12:59pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
How utterly tragic that a country with such rich reserves should have got itself into such a disastrous mess that it can't feed its people.

Er... Ever heard of the UK's food banks? It's very possible you may well be visiting one yourself after a hard brexit.
Posted By: granny Re: Venezuela Crisis - 3rd Feb 2019 4:45pm

Comparing UK food banks to the Venezuelan crisis, is somewhat odd .
Posted By: granny Re: Venezuela Crisis - 3rd Feb 2019 4:56pm

That little toe rag from France is putting his four pennyworth in too. Reported as warning Maduro, ' Ultimatum ends tonight' !

Strange isn't how a new leader of a country seem to have to make their presence felt by involving themselves in a conflict or similar, but he's itching to get the limelight despite the ongoing problems he has at home with protests ?
Agree with your point Fish. They all come out with thunder thighs and the macho walk , sporting combat gear and a handshake. Prats !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Venezuela Crisis - 3rd Feb 2019 6:29pm

There are a lot of other countries ensured that they are in this mess, they don't fancy Venezuela on the big world stage.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Venezuela Crisis - 3rd Feb 2019 10:35pm
Just to reassure Excoriator, as long as they don't ditch the old age pension and my daughter doesn't disown me, I should be safe from the food banks! However, the fact that they are needed at all is something of which those who run this country should be thoroughly ashamed.
Posted By: granny Re: Venezuela Crisis - 4th Feb 2019 9:49am
Just to reassure Excoriator, as long as they don't ditch the old age pension and my daughter doesn't disown me, I should be safe from the food banks! However, the fact that they are needed at all is something of which those who run this country should be thoroughly ashamed.

Considering food banks are world wide since 1960's, US 1967, France's first in 1984 our first was in 2004, increased with the financial impact in 2008, and rapidly continued in the same direction, I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. Germany and France, just two of many countries, have far more people using them than we do , and it was obviously part of the 'Big Society' that David Cameron promoted.
Volunteers, charities, NGO's, and donations from the public to keep the wheels turning.
That's fine , until it becomes the norm, and when, on Government websites, it advises people who are having difficulty financially to go to a food bank, I find that distasteful in any form. Basically it is assuming the public will continue to feed the people of this country who are suffering, and Government wash their hands of the problem .(the same in Europe)

However, the fact that Venezuelans do not have any spare food to give to charities or food banks is their major problem. It is cheaper for them to use bank notes as toilet paper, than it is to buy a toilet roll. That is the truth.

So are we lucky ,unlucky or over generous in this country ? I do despair when the church's boxes for food banks are filled by senior citizens , who in many ways are finding it harder to support themselves, but that is their decision.
The only way for Government to take responsibility now is for the people to stop giving .
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Venezuela Crisis - 6th Feb 2019 9:02am
Seems rather ironical that major EU countries now dictating to recognise Guaido as the interim leader of Venezuala without an election..Is this the new face of democracy. ?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral