Forums
Posted By: granny Scallop War ! - 29th Aug 2018 10:37am

Fighting over scallops.. poor creatures !!

I can't think whether Brits are right or wrong on this, it does seem as if we have the higher foothold with regard to fishing laws off the French coast. Wondering how that could have happened in the first place. re- the 'fishing season'

Sounds a bit of a severe reaction though , and positively thuggish behaviour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45337091
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Scallop War ! - 29th Aug 2018 11:24am
I wonder if the story would have been reported differently if identical events had occurred except that it had all taken place 12 miles off the UK coast with French fishermen invading 'our' waters?

I suppose it is a matter of how much one respects national sovereignty within the EU. If you believe national sovereignty should be maintained, then the French should have the right to protect fisheries off their coast. I suspect 'Sovereignty' on planet Torygraph or within the Mail is only important if it is British however and is used to support Brexit.

My personal position is that I welcome any measures from anyone which reduces man's pillaging of the sea in favour of management of it.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Scallop War ! - 29th Aug 2018 3:52pm
Who eats all these scallops? I reckon it is the restaurant trade which has exploded over the last 30 years taking the best of everything.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Scallop War ! - 29th Aug 2018 5:56pm
Not forgetting that this was in international waters outside the French 12 mile zone.

EU fishing vessels are allowed inside the UK fishing zone and will be able to continue doing so after Brexit.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Scallop War ! - 29th Aug 2018 7:24pm
Never trust anyone that would eat Kermits legs and Brian the snail smile
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Scallop War ! - 29th Aug 2018 8:26pm
Surely it's inside the 12 mile zone?

The French government would not be able to forbid French fishermen from fishing in outside their own territorial waters?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Scallop War ! - 29th Aug 2018 9:12pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Surely it's inside the 12 mile zone?

The French government would not be able to forbid French fishermen from fishing in outside their own territorial waters?

No, the media have purposely worded this in a vague manner, the French restriction applies outside the 12 mile zone for French fishing vessels. We have applied similar restrictions to our vessels in the past for other catches.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Scallop War ! - 30th Aug 2018 9:31am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Who eats all these scallops? I reckon it is the restaurant trade which has exploded over the last 30 years taking the best of everything.

Morrisons get through quite a lot, particularly the West Kirby branch.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Scallop War ! - 30th Aug 2018 11:13pm
Was in a high end hotel many years ago and decided as a treat to have an expensive evening meal. Ordered scallops for starters thinking i was going to get fried potato in batter and of course get served a tiny white thing...very tasty though.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Scallop War ! - 2nd Sep 2018 12:33pm
Was reading some stuff about pronunciation and it seems that the shellfish scallops should sound like 'scollops' and the fried potato slices 'scallops'. How anyone learns this language is a constant amazement.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Scallop War ! - 2nd Sep 2018 6:22pm
Potato ones are supposed to be called "potato scallops" but its been a tradition of chippies not to bother.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral