Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 3rd Jul 2018 10:23am
Only heard about this a couple days ago and the poor blighters been in there a week. Seems to be unfolding like the trapped minors in Chile back in 2010.. Loved the lad who asked the British diver where he was from "England" . Bet that confused the lad probably thought that was one hell of a swim to get there..

Just hope they get them all out safe and well as can be. What a logistics task... Not read how far the tunnels are flooded... Wheres Thunderbird 4 or Thunderbirds MOLE when its needed.. Seem to remember an episode that involved drilling into a mountain to rescue.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 3rd Jul 2018 10:28am
Yes, I've been following this, the comments all along were that they were probably alive. Full marks to the football coach, handling a load of kids in that situation must have been a task and a half, I bet he's going to sleep for a week.
Posted By: cools Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 3rd Jul 2018 10:32am
It's an awful situation this, thank god they've been found. Now the problem of getting them out. Just read that it could take months , unless they learn to dive ! The water will not go down for this amount of time. Just a nightmare..
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 3rd Jul 2018 10:35am
Yes, it's wonderful that they are all safe, but this is just the start of a long journey for them all and a logistical nightmare for those working to free them. What it must be like being cooped up in the dark like that, I cannot imagine. At least now contact has been made and supplies can be brought to them.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 3rd Jul 2018 11:19am

From what we have seen I find the bravery of all involved and especially the children ,astounding. All very calm. The football coach is only in his mid twenties . Let's hope an ingenious mind will come up with possibly an earlier exit and that everyone will stay safe. It must be pretty damp and clammy down there.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 3rd Jul 2018 4:26pm
Presume they will have some emergency extract plans should water levels rise or perhaps there might be higher drier ground further into cave system. Just that horrible feeling it could still go badly wrong.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 3rd Jul 2018 4:58pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Presume they will have some emergency extract plans should water levels rise or perhaps there might be higher drier ground further into cave system. Just that horrible feeling it could still go badly wrong.

Nah, these are resourceful Thai kids, not pampered western kids that would have a panic attack every 10 seconds at the thought of getting their designer clothes wet. They'll learn to use a breather in minutes and follow the rope, most of the delay will be setting up the rest stations, planning and making sure the kids strength have been built up again. They may have to be re-oxygenating the cavern where the kids are which will take quite a few trips with bottles.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 6th Jul 2018 10:56am
One rescuer has died of lack of oxygen, we need an experienced UK team down there.
Posted By: cools Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 6th Jul 2018 11:30am
This is getting worse , heavy rains forcast which could flood where they are. One british diver who reached them first I think was saying it took 5 hours to reach them so with them not having dived before and panic setting in it really is going to be hard. I was thinking is there any kind of capsule that maybe could take one at a time, something like they use to dive to deep areas in the oceans? Probably not I suspect. It's a horrible situation and that just hope they get to them soon.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 6th Jul 2018 11:44am

Very sad that a diver has died, apparently taking supplies to the boys. Five hours is one heck of a long time.. it almost seems an impossible task. Not a couple of children, but 13 in total !... they need a lot of prayers .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 6th Jul 2018 4:35pm
Capsule won't fit through the smaller gaps, they are even worried that full face masks might be a risk so are considering just mouthpiece breathers but the concern then is that if a child drops the breather they might panic - on the smaller passages nobody else will be able to see if this happens nor will they be able to help for some time.

They need to train the kids hard before hand, have them go under water numerous times and take the breather out etc until it becomes instinct, the problem with this is getting enough bottles of air down that end to do the practising.

The 5 hour run was the initial run by the English rescuers, I think they reckon a normal run is about 3 hours now but will be more than that with the kids. There are large caverns on the way that don't fully flood but might not have large ledges, they could do with getting some inflatable boats to those sections which will speed up the operation once they start moving the kids because otherwise (like a water slide) they can't start one until a the previous one is clear and currently they haven't got comms between sections..

I see the coach is getting the blame for taking them in, I hope he isn't treated too harshly, presumably the caves were bone dry when they went in judging from various comments. They certainly can pin the death of the rescuer on him, every diver knows the safety limits of their air supply and knows not to push them to the limit, this was a very unfortunate mistake by the volunteer and could have happened anytime to him if he didn't have the right mindset.
Posted By: venice Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 7th Jul 2018 3:05pm
Elon Musk has given them an idea now, which I didnt quite see how it could reliably work.--involving heavy duty tubes and inflating them to displace the water in the 'caves' so the boys could walk out?https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/elon-musk-has-an-idea-for-saving-boys-stranded-in-a-thailand-cave/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 7th Jul 2018 3:25pm
Way too high a risk, anything goes wrong and anybody in the tube is a definite gonna. Also the inflated tube will go the the top and will clamp sideways onto any weight inside and again getting it through the narrow parts would be difficult unless it is extremely light (and hence easily puncturable).

Nice idea for other circumstances maybe.

Moving anything that sort of size would be a huge struggle, they spent a few days just passing a fibre-optic cable through.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 7th Jul 2018 6:13pm

I thought that idea was in progress but only allowing for the boys to crawl through the narrowest stretches.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 4:33am

Rescue under way. Started about 3am and expected to conclude (if that's the right word) at 4pm .

May every one be blessed with a happy ending.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/44755093
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 5:30am
Looks like they are trying to group them together with about 5 stopping/resting places. They sound well organised now, should be good news.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 5:54am

One bonus is that they apparently know the cave. Whether they have been so far in before.. who knows, but they are obviously not strangers to the difficulties as they must have squeezed through the narrow gaps to get where they were.

I have no doubt the boys will get out, they of course will be priority, but I have some concern for rescuers who may use up oxygen if it takes longer than expected. They of course will be the last to leave.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 6:01am

Japan is having a disaster too. They seem to get more extreme weather conditions . At least 60 killed in mudslides.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 7:53am
Just watched two documentaries on the 1990 Chilean miners rescue which was an amazing feat of engineering.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 8:27am

My gosh ! 1990... hard to believe. Just been looking at the live up date on this rescue. It's not as straight forward as I first thought. Now they say they will rescue one boy at a time over, 2 to 3 days. It takes 6 hours for rescuers to reach the boys and 5 for the return journey. .. all being well.
Every one an amazing hero !
Posted By: casper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 10:51am
Originally Posted by granny

My gosh ! 1990... hard to believe. Just been looking at the live up date on this rescue. It's not as straight forward as I first thought. Now they say they will rescue one boy at a time over, 2 to 3 days. It takes 6 hours for rescuers to reach the boys and 5 for the return journey. .. all being well.

From what I've seen those lads seem very able and switched on, even after the length of time they have been in there, I wish them all the luck in the world and that everything ends well for them all.
Posted By: cools Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 11:45am
I'll never understand why folk want to go into these caves and such places, me I start panicking if the lift takes it's time opening. The same with why mountains get climbed and tragedys happen there. I guess there'll always be that adventurous streak , especially when you're young. I must admit I've been in a couple of hairy situations whilst sailing , in my youth I hasten to say! I wish them luck with this rescue too.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 1:12pm
Originally Posted by cools
I'll never understand why folk want to go into these caves and such places, me I start panicking if the lift takes it's time opening. The same with why mountains get climbed and tragedys happen there. I guess there'll always be that adventurous streak , especially when you're young. I must admit I've been in a couple of hairy situations whilst sailing , in my youth I hasten to say! I wish them luck with this rescue too.

some of the guided mine tours or places like wooky hollow are an amazing experience especially when you come to the "cathedral chambers" and underground lakes. You sort of have this impression that the earth is solid until you see these places.

Just read water levels have dropped a bit allowing some more areas to be walked. Hopefully good news by the end of the day 2 out and 4 more close.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 1:40pm

Six out now. pray
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 1:46pm

Trump tweets about Thai rescue

US President Donald Trump has tweeted that the US government is "working very closely" with the government in Thailand to rescue the boys and their coach.

Is that true ??? doh
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 2:04pm

Six out now. pray

Confusion on Sky News and Reuters. Apparently only 4 boys have been taken to hospital.
Posted By: venice Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 6:38pm
Posted By: cools Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 7:05pm
Only four out up to now Venice as far as I can see ? I
Posted By: venice Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 9:37pm
Flipping other half giving me duff info !! Apparently he was referring to all the first group which was mostly rescuers forming the total . Sorry folks , Ill ask Mark to remove that , its hardly appropriate in the circumstances . Im gutted, Ive been so pleased about it for hours !
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 8th Jul 2018 11:02pm
venice...lets hope your post was just a premature note for sometime tommorrow or tuesday at latest. If those British divers still involved i think some Honours should be heading their way.. Praying water drops a bit more overnight..
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 4:47am
Originally Posted by casper

From what I've seen those lads seem very able and switched on, even after the length of time they have been in there, I wish them all the luck in the world and that everything ends well for them all.

It's amazing how the whole world has come together for this rescue, in whatever small way , and it's such a shame we are not allowed to live in peace and unity all the time. What a wonderful world it would be.
After eagerly awaiting and following the news yesterday, I don't think I can follow this today, the mounting stress is too much and what their parents must be going through is unimaginable, but like you Casper... wishing them all the luck in the world.

Nothing to be ashamed of Venice, I too had to correct wrong information.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 9:04am
Chile mine disaster was 2010 didnt think it was 28 years ago..!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 11:54am
Yes, 2010, I got distracted by another rescue and got the two mixed up.

Fifth boy is out in Thailand yipee
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 11:56am
And 6th and 7th boys are out although on stretchers, lets hope all is well and its just exhaustion.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 12:10pm

Brilliant ! ... I sure hope they can get them all out today.. They had rain last night
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 12:19pm
And the eight boy is out. That will probably be it for the day, rescue and supply divers will be tired which would lead to mistakes if they persist.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 12:33pm

thumbsup
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 3:45pm
2 more out..........Dave and Boris
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 9th Jul 2018 4:45pm

FISH !!
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 9:47am

One divers praise for the kids.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world...e-no-kid-has-cave-dived-like-this-before

Reuters reporting that another 2 more are out this am. GMT making 10 in total. They did get it wrong the other day though ! Hold that thought.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 11:08am
Three out today now.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 11:37am

at 12.27pm

Via BBC Live page:

The Thai Navy Seals, who are leading the rescue operation, have posted to their Facebook page to say that the Wild Boars - the nickname of the boys' football team - will be reunited.

Whether that means all are now safely out of the cave, we don't yet know.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 11:45am
12th lad not out yet, this is getting worrying as they said the weakest kids would come out last.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 11:49am
12th person has been brought out.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 11:51am
And now confirmed that all 12 kids are out and safe.

Lets hope the coach, doctor, three seals and the rescuers are careful to complete the mission.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 12:00pm
Confirmed that the coach is out .... only the Doctor and three seals named as remaining in the cave.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 12:15pm
What an incredible rescue - it has gripped the world. Hope the remaining people are soon out safe and the boys don't suffer long-term effects from their nightmare. Huge relief to hear of such a successful result - so sad for that diver who lost his life though. They are all heroes.
Posted By: granny Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 12:17pm

All out apparently.. Yeh... Amazing. I've got tears..
Posted By: cools Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 12:44pm
So glad this is over and alls well , sorry that one person lost their life trying to save them. Well done to everyone involved, heroes....
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Thai Cave Rescue Attempt - 10th Jul 2018 4:05pm
Brilliant news this week....equalled only by an England win over Croatia
© Wirral-Wikiwirral