Forums
Posted By: Excoriator The new MOT. - 14th Apr 2018 9:20pm
I see that new rules on the MOT test are coming in next month. It seems that those jokers who got their particle filters removed in order to improve performance or because they were having problems with them will find they have to be refitted. Good thing too!

I am a bit ambivalent about diesel. I certainly the think the elevation of 'carbon nanoparticles' as life-threatening objects that will kill you just like nerve agents is OTT. The old name for these things was a lot less scary. 'Smoke' Given that the human race has lived for many tens if not hundreds of thousands of years in huts with a wood fire and a hole in the roof - in other words in a near constant environment of carbon nanoparticles - I think we have probably earned a high degree of relative immunity by now.

I see one thing that seems a bit worrying. If the testing garage fails the vehicle, it has to be put right there. You cannot drive it to a garage of your choice as this will involve a heavy fine. The opportunity for a bit of money making from a dodgy garage will probably prove irresistible.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The new MOT. - 15th Apr 2018 1:34am
Originally Posted by Excoriator
I see one thing that seems a bit worrying. If the testing garage fails the vehicle, it has to be put right there. You cannot drive it to a garage of your choice as this will involve a heavy fine. The opportunity for a bit of money making from a dodgy garage will probably prove irresistible.

Although they have made a big song and dance about it, this is the same as the previous MOT, if the vehicle was classed as dangerous in the MOT, you were not allowed to drive it. In any case if the vehicle is dangerous you weren't even allowed to drive it TO an MOT.

The difference now is that the police number plate recognition system can identify this MOT status so you are more likely to get caught if you are driving a vehicle classified as dangerous.

Most of the items in the new MOT Manual (still draft when I read it a few days ago) that permitted it to be declared dangerous are pretty serious things, there are many failures that aren't classed as dangerous.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The new MOT. - 16th Apr 2018 1:39am
testers discretion
© Wirral-Wikiwirral