Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 8:30pm
I really felt quite sorry for him trying to talk up a blue passport as a great triumph for freedom, democracy, the British people, sovereignty, UKIP etc.

In fact, it is not the old large stiff inconvenient ones we've had in the past with two windows in the cardboard, it is tory-blue version of the smaller floppy EU one. It contains the same type of chip containing your biometrics and no doubt complies with the same electronic protocols as the EU one does.

In my opinion, the whole idea of a passport implies a restriction on your freedom, whoever it comes from. Why on earth should your freedom to roam the planet be constrained by governments anyway? They were originally introduced as an AID to travelers. A piece of paper backed by the government telling other government that the holder was a good chap and should be allowed free entry. Over the years it has morphed into a way of preventing those the government doesn't want to travel from doing so. Hardly something to celebrate in the name of freedom is it.

But I felt sorry for Nigel, attempting to do so. He was about as convincing as a chocolate teapot!

Posted By: cools Re: Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 8:54pm
Yay I say bring it on, good one Nige happy
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 9:12pm

Attached picture passport.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 9:29pm
Of course the biometrics comply with the same as the EU ones, they both conform to the ICAO standards, it would be no use having a passport that doesn't comply with international standards, it is after all primarily for travelling abroad rather home use.

The UK biometrics don't have as much information as many other countries have, its basically your picture and data, many other countries have fingerprints as well.

The burgundy colour wasn't obligatory under EU rules.

I'm quite happy to keep passports because they track criminals and in the absence of having national ID cards they are useful for proof of identity.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 9:40pm
[youtube]v=F8XwnQEGYg8[/youtube]
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 10:21pm
Well, can see that as it's the only thing that's changed you have no option but to declare it a triumph.

Kindly explain how this changes anything at all? The (red) EU passports were issued by the UK. The (blue) UK passports will be issued by the UK.

Apart from the colour they are virtually identical! You, and I as plebs living on Merseyside will be treated in exactly the same way. The only difference will be that you won't be able to afford travel quite so easily.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 10:47pm
Dare I presume it will be a free straight swap of one for the other or a small fee. Will we have to apply for a new one at the usual cost
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Poor Nigel! - 22nd Dec 2017 10:48pm
Dare I presume it will be a free straight swap of one for the other or a small fee. Will we have to apply for a new one at the usual cost
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Poor Nigel! - 23rd Dec 2017 8:56am
I can't imagine this government missing an opportunity to rip us off. My bet is you'll have to buy a new one, and the cost will probably be even higher than the old one!
Posted By: granny Re: Poor Nigel! - 23rd Dec 2017 9:52am

Scare tactics again and you know it !

[youtube]mYj1TSacLVQ[/youtube]
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Poor Nigel! - 23rd Dec 2017 11:11am
Originally Posted by derekdwc

As I understand it existing passports will be replaced when they are due for renewal.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Poor Nigel! - 23rd Dec 2017 10:10pm
According to the Guardian, it will mean more delays for Brits at airports.

But this is all worth it, of course. As we have a British passport, the world will gaze enviously at us in our long queues as they speed through the barriers!

My children from a previous marriage to an Irish national have very sensibly paid £30 to the Irish Government and secured dual nationality and will travel using an Irish passport. Lucky them!

What a brilliant thing brexit is!

Scare tactics? Well, we'll see won't we!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Poor Nigel! - 23rd Dec 2017 11:06pm
The same delays that we have when we travel to the majority of the rest of the world. Which generally aren't that much different from EU airports because we aren't in the Schengen Area anyway.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Poor Nigel! - 24th Dec 2017 12:08am
EX....Do you have a lock on your front door and if so, why?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Poor Nigel! - 24th Dec 2017 1:27pm
Originally Posted by fish5133

To stop illegal immigrants from nicking his front door?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Poor Nigel! - 24th Dec 2017 2:19pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by fish5133

To stop illegal immigrants from nicking his front door?

laugh

And we also ask for ID
© Wirral-Wikiwirral