Forums
Posted By: palemoon How dare he threaten us! - 22nd Apr 2016 6:01pm
US President Barack Obama has said Britain would go to the "back of the queue" for trade deals with the US if it votes to leave the European Union.

I hope that this intimidating threat backfires big time. Obama has no right coming here to 'advise' us on our own affairs.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: How dare he threaten us! - 22nd Apr 2016 6:11pm
America/ Obama are just soo arrogant.

I agree - keep your nose out America!!!
Posted By: fish5133 Re: How dare he threaten us! - 22nd Apr 2016 7:01pm
Just read it and i thought threat or statement of opinion. Just cause he is married to a transvestite.?
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: How dare he threaten us! - 22nd Apr 2016 7:38pm
Barack Obama is an embarrassing excuse for a President on the International Stage.
He still acts just like what he once was (a "Community Organizer") he is no Statesman, regrettably.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 22nd Apr 2016 8:24pm
I presume he's paying back some favour he owes Cameron.

I was p'd off with him interfering with our politics at first, but then I thought how much the UK has said about Donald trump recently so I guess we have no room to talk.

I personally think he's the best President the USA has had for a long time, he has achieved miracles when you consider how right wing America is.
Posted By: casper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 23rd Apr 2016 6:59am
If we look at it this way at least we have got an answer on a future trade agreement, maybe not the one we wanted, but there it is, no doubt there are other countries that think the same, the world owes us no favours,the French are vindictive and will do their best to make an exit uncomfortable for us, Bojo's promises of cake tomorrow are begining to look a bit jaded, normally I would be expecting a dressing down from granny for this response, but sadly that ain't going to happen. frown
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: How dare he threaten us! - 23rd Apr 2016 6:33pm
Americans don't know what a queue is, they use "line" I wonder who wrote his speech?
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: How dare he threaten us! - 23rd Apr 2016 7:22pm
Wow can't wait to vote to stay in cos Barack Obama told me to
Posted By: snowshoes Re: How dare he threaten us! - 23rd Apr 2016 8:21pm
A whole lot of Obama dissin' going on here. I think he's
speaking from the heart. The Americans are super friendly
and will bend over backwards to help. They are our allies.
Let's keep that in mind. I see the UK going backwards and
the US going forward.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 12:21am
An interesting quote from Boris Johnson which puts things in perspective .....

We haven't had a trade deal with America for 43 years. Why not? Do you know why not? Because we're in the European Union.

In any case the US-EU trade deal (TTIP) has been widely lambasted, it basically opens up European markets to US competition, especially in the fields of public health(eg NHS), education and water services. It also reduces our current food safety and environmental protection to the US standards. Everything is reduced towards the lower standards.
Posted By: casper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 7:16am
Well, maybe there is another reason to vote in dd, there is a great resistance against TTIP both here and in Europe,if we leave and eventually get a trade agreement with the USA (and thats a very big if), we will have no choice but to accept TTIP, this will put us under the thumb of the yanks, so out of the frying pan into the fire, up to now we have heard nothing credible from the brexits other than their main theme about scaremongering, nothing of how we are going to claim utopia outside of the EU, at least we now know who we wont be doing business with in the near future.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 8:10am
"Scaremongering......"?

Think thats been the better in campaign not the brexit one.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 8:48am
Originally Posted by snowshoes
the US going forward.
I don't think it's dissin I myself think of it like this you wouldn't ask a builder to do open heart surgery same as I wouldn't tell the USA who to vote for come November
Posted By: casper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 9:41am
Yes I know Fish, that's what I meant, they have not put forward any good reason for leaving other than to harp on about scaremongering by the stay in's of what will happen if we leave, how do we know it's scaremongering? because Bojo says so? a lot of people are very worried about immigration control, the brexits imply that we will have more control over our borders if we leave, yet even if we leave the EU, to get any kind of a trade agreement outside of membership we must still allow free movement of peoples from EU countries, so no benefit there.
Posted By: palemoon Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 10:01am
the US going forward.

I've always thought that Obama was ok, and I still do. But I take offence at him treating the United Kingdom like some 2nd rate country who will be chastised by the great United States if we don't tow their line.

P.S. Belated birthday greetings, snowy. smile
Posted By: snowshoes Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 4:36pm
Originally Posted by palemoon
the US going forward.

I've always thought that Obama was ok, and I still do. But I take offence at him treating the United Kingdom like some 2nd rate country who will be chastised by the great United States if we don't tow their line.

Hi palemoon

The US loves the UK and respects it totally. BO is not chastising
the UK and would never do so. And yes, maybe it is in American
interests for the UK to stay in but at the same time he values
the importance of the UK staying in the EU. Personally speaking,
I think the UK should leave. One Wiki member used the word arrogant. That is beyond me. BO is not an arrogant man nor are
most Americans.

P.S.
Did I miss something about snowy's birthday
Posted By: venice Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 5:09pm
the US going forward.

Hi palemoon

I think the UK should leave. One Wiki member used the word arrogant. That is beyond me. BO is not an arrogant man nor are
most Americans.

P.S.

Cant profess to keep up as I should with politics, but everything I do hear that involves America, always seems to leave me with the impression that

AMERICA LOVES AMERICA !! Full stop! It never seems to do anything that doesnt involve there being something in it for America, and I dont believe it would be loyal to any country if the chips were down and being disloyal suited them .

BO himself may well be a genuine man, I dont know , he managed to get a good wedge of healthcare improvements from a really difficult position of resistance which has to be admired,even though he didnt manage his original plans . He wont be there much longer though , and who knows what the next president will be like.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 5:55pm
Good points venice.
Yes, America loves America, I have no problem with that.
Nothing wrong in wanting the best for your country. I don't
believe he would be disloyal to his closest allies.
And what about The Donald. Fancy him as the next President?
Posted By: venice Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 8:20pm
Good points venice.
Yes, America loves America, I have no problem with that.
Nothing wrong in wanting the best for your country. I don't
believe he would be disloyal to his closest allies.

And what about The Donald. Fancy him as the next President?

I dont reckon they value us much.

We had the special relationship with America back in the fifties - that didnt stop them putting the boot in against us over Suez .

They didnt support us over the Falklands

They didnt join us in WW2 out of the goodness of their hearts , they charged us handsomely for it (weve only just finished paying it back) and in reality , they joined because they feared Germany would be after them next with its new technology the US didnt yet have.

And now, they threaten not to make trade deals for yonks of we leave the EU ? (Dont believe theyd keep to that either if we offered a deal they thought was good - I think its just scare tactics because it suits them for us to stay in the EU)

Not that I think the UK is or would be a shining eg of loyalty either . The fact is, I believe all countries will do exactly whats best for themselves .
Posted By: snowshoes Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 8:51pm
I agree and rightly so, why not.
I really don't understand the anti Americanism that I
sense coming from the UK. I understand and accept your comments.
Would you agree the US are our closest allies?
Maybe living so close to them I have a slightly different view point.
Posted By: venice Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 9:48pm
Would I agree that the US are our closest allies?

Well, yes if it suits them at the time . A good ally to have on the odd occasions when we do share a common aim though .

I think the US close links with Israel , mostly to the detriment of the Palestinians dont help people feel kindly towards the US. They seem to me to be very happy to turn a blind eye to obvious wrongs ,and happy to interfere anywhere without invitation, to further their own agendas.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 10:00pm
Venice
I sense your dislike for the USA. However I truly believe
if the UK was in crisis at this point in time they would
be the first one to step in and help.

Good night my friend.
Posted By: venice Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 10:27pm
I'd like to think you're right snowshoes - . Night night. Fresh new day tomorrow .
Posted By: chriskay Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 10:50pm
Hmmm; closest allies? Maybe not. They were late to both recent world wars and then claimed to have won them.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: How dare he threaten us! - 24th Apr 2016 11:00pm
Then who is the UK's closest ally chris?
Posted By: casper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 7:31am
I don't get were the US has threatened us, what BO has said is basically we shouldn't expect to go to the front of the queue for any trade deal, we are talking business here, as others have said all countries look after their own interests first, so how have we been threatened? if any country has threatened us its the French, they have said they will remove any cooperation over immigration which is already agreed,after all we have little or no industry, the only future I see for this country if we leave is that we will become a service industry for all the spivs and money launderers that want to holiday here.
Posted By: palemoon Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 10:52am
the US going forward.

Hi palemoon

most Americans.

P.S.

No you didn't. I was wishing you a belated Happy Birthday. But if that's your attitude, I take it back.
Posted By: cools Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 11:00am
Palemoon , think you're being abit hard on Snowshoes there. The way I look at it is we have two members on here starting with snow, snowshoes and Snowhite , Snowhite gets called Snowy so I think snowshoes thought he had missed Snowys birthday. Maybe I'm wrong!
Posted By: palemoon Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 11:41am
Originally Posted by cools
Palemoon , think you're being abit hard on Snowshoes there. The way I look at it is we have two members on here starting with snow, snowshoes and Snowhite , Snowhite gets called Snowy so I think snowshoes thought he had missed Snowys birthday. Maybe I'm wrong!

You could be correct. But it was snowshoes' birthday the day before my post so you you can read into snowshoes' reply what ever you want.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 11:47am
I think the President and the PM both want to leave some legacy as they are near the end of their terms.
They both want TTIP to go ahead and be hailed as great leaders bringing prosperity to their countries.
If TTIP goes through on some of the unsavoury terms the Americans and our gov agree to I can see the USA eventually in control of medical and health services, social services, education, post, finance, telecommunications, transport, energy, water, environmental and cultural services are all on the table in TTIP, meaning that American corporations may have full access to them.

The President is now in Germany trying to get agreement there. After talks with Chancellor Merkel, US president says he wants transatlantic trade deal finalised before his term ends.

click

Posted By: snowshoes Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 1:02pm

You could be correct. But it was snowshoes' birthday the day before my post so you you can read into snowshoes' reply what ever you want.

@palemoon
cools has it right. I cannot figure out why your so upset.
Thankyou for your birthday wishes.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 2:51pm
However I truly believe
if the UK was in crisis at this point in time they would
be the first one to step in and help.

Wishful thinking, there has never been any significant example of where the USA helped us out unless it has not been greatly one sided to their advantage.
Posted By: palemoon Re: How dare he threaten us! - 25th Apr 2016 3:04pm

@palemoon
cools has it right. I cannot figure out why your so upset.
Thankyou for your birthday wishes.

No probs. Genuine misunderstanding happy
Posted By: derekdwc Re: How dare he threaten us! - 8th May 2016 12:35pm
I'd be more worried about what the media especially newspapers owned by non-UK residents and suspected tax evaders print. Depending on which one is read can significantly influence how people vote in our elections and the referendum.
CLICK newspapers

To counter Obamas statement I wonder how we'll get on with America if Trump gets in who supports Brexit
Trump
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: How dare he threaten us! - 8th May 2016 2:45pm
There's a good response on the replies to that article.

It seems to me that anyone who has an iota of compassion for human beings and points out the wrong in the world is considered ‘left’.

Which I think is true, but also the converse is true, anyone without compassion for human beings is considered right wing. That might not be true for the general population but it certainly is for the conservative leaders.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral