Forums
Posted By: granny Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 9:22am
Brussels Zaventem airport and metro explosions 'kill at least 13'

Several explosions have struck Brussels airport and the metro system, causing at least 13 deaths, Belgian media say.

Two blasts tore through the departures area of Zaventem airport shortly after 08:00 local time (07:00 GMT).

An hour later, an explosion hit Maalbeek metro station, close to the EU institutions. The metro system and airport have both been closed.

The attacks come four days after Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the Paris attacks, was captured in Brussels.

The Belgian government has confirmed casualties at the airport but has given no numbers. The cause of the explosions is unknown.

The whole metro system has been closed. Belgium has now raised its terror threat to its highest level.

Brussels airport blasts - latest updates

Belgian broadcaster VRT said that in addition to the dead at the airport, at least 35 people were severely injured.

Emergency services are clearing the airport completely. Belgium's Het Laatste Nieuws reports that more bombs were found.

The Belga news agency reports that shots were fired and shouts in Arabic were heard before the two explosions.

more @:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35869254
Posted By: cools Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 9:39am
It really distresses me these horrible horrible Attacks. Pure evil Bs these monsters who do this! How can we protect people from this when they give no one a chance , they blow themselves up for Gods sake! More poor families lives ruined. The world is such a horrible place at the moment..
Posted By: snowhite Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 10:11am
Could have been another planned attack.
Wonder where the next one will be.
Posted By: venice Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 12:25pm
Dreadful news this morning re Brussels. Does this mean that Shengen is rapidly goint to be toast?
Posted By: cools Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 1:05pm
It's horrendous! Just heard on news allegedly Ryan Air is asking £6000 to fly back from Brussells. So so bad if that true...
Posted By: Mark Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 1:31pm
At least 34 have died at the airport and metro station.

1 Briton has been injured up to now.

Omg

This is getting closer.
Boarders are being tightened.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 2:53pm
Can anyone explain to me why the civilised world doesn't combine its forces and destroy ISIS? Militarily we could do this as easily as swatting a fly, I realise we wouldn't eradicate their ideology but it might make them think twice before attacking us again. In the meantime we are cowering in fear from a bunch of savages who haven't changed their philosophy since the Middle ages. We need to be proactive and take the fight to them, not sit idly by, giving them the freedom to pick the targets of their choice.
Posted By: granny Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 3:39pm
What is becoming an even more serious concept is the fact it was reported this am about information recovered from the flats raided in Brussels the other day , indicating nuclear power plants could be targeted.

Today we see that Brussels has evacuated two nuclear power plants and Germany one (as of earlier).

These terrorists are getting stronger all the time and we (the rest) appear to be getting weaker.
Posted By: cools Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 3:53pm
It's so frightening I'm with Lud on this, we can't all live in fear something has to be done by everybody and quick. My god if they do get to a nuclear power site that's it...
Posted By: granny Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 4:02pm
As I understand it, the source of ISIS is in Saudi Arabia, so however much we attack other places, the hub is still in the same place and we can't go in and start bombing it.

Posted By: casper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 7:21pm
Two Arab looking lads got on the train last week both had backpacks on, one had earphones, the first thing that came into my mind was are they would be terrorists? I know it sounds silly but that's how suspicious we have become, I remember back in the seventies outside of barracks we had to visually check our cars for ED's courtesy of paddy pira.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 8:07pm
It is shocking and purposed to make us fear but look at it statistically and you may have more chance of being killed in a car accident. At least in the states you can carry a weapon to defend yourself.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 8:08pm
Originally Posted by casper
but that's how suspicious we have become
Not me Casper. A lot of it due to media hysterics, feeding the publics fear.

Is this not playing into isis hands? Creating an 'us' and 'them' in the hope that ordinary Muslims join them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 9:19pm
Rifle found at the Brussels airport- how long will it take to discover the 'usual' un-damaged terrorist passports to appear? think
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 22nd Mar 2016 9:30pm
Sad news, and hope we'll see a end to this like we did with the IRA, was listening to radio 5live today and they asked should they report attacks all day or not as it hi-lights IS and I was thinking yes you should it's best to get to much info and know what to look for than to know f all.

What I get fed up with is the news interviewing Muslims who all say the same thing eg it wasn't us why do we have to hear this everytime? We didn't go round looking for Irish when the IRA bomb us, it like a broke tape now.
Posted By: casper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 9:43am
I dont mean in terms of personal safety Rude, more like being security minded, unattended bags or packages as an example, as sad as it may sound, we all need to be much more aware and this may help to avert another atrocity, make no mistake this is one area were the term we are all in this together is appropriate, the more eyes and ears we have from all communities the better chance we have of saving lives, we have no civil defence as such now so the burden of looking after each other falls on all of us, as most of the tv footage shows most people are willing to help each other by either offering support and comfort or by giving first aid, lets hope we never have to.
Posted By: cools Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 11:24am
Totally agree Caspar, think you've got to be. It is going to happen here and I just pray it's no one I know will be affected (selfish I know). I'll be honest individuals such as you described make me feel very nervous and I will avoid if I can not to be anywhere near them. Rude won't like that statement I know but she can deal with it her way and I'll deal with it my way. Obviously I know im being overcautious but that's me. Be vigilant is all we can do...
Posted By: granny Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 12:01pm
Cools, do you remember the IRA and the uk bombings ? Casper will.

They placed bombs wherever and we always expected Liverpool to be targeted , but we didn't think about it ! Going about our business on a daily basis. Bomb threats here, there and every where, that were hoaxes. Bomb hoaxes on ships in the docks. How on earth could anyone search a ship properly back then. So the ship and crew sailed, bomb or no bomb. Nobody even turned a hair, it was common practice. Like the bomb scares in Asda on a weekly basis. 'not another one ?' people would say . We adapt and nothing is about to tell you where these shits will hit next, so why worry ? Don't, you'll die from that instead !

It's like now, you are worried in case it happens. It happened in London (how ever many years ago) but that didn't stop you going out up here.

You can't live your life in fear or like a hermit, because of what might happen.
Posted By: granny Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 12:20pm
One thing is a bonus and that's the fact that they now have one in custody. He can give names to faces etc. and he won't even know what happened in Brussels yesterday.

It turns out, two of the bombers are brothers.
Posted By: cools Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 12:53pm
I know you're right Granny but I am such a worrier, I've said it before these people who go and live in remote places with their families and just live life as it should be I think may have it right. My family say exactly what you say , you can't do anything about it so just get on with life. It's them I worry about not me. Didn't have so many to worry about when the IRA were at it. Just dread the future for my grandson. Every time some atrocity happens like this I get stressed but I'll calm down you have to don't you?
Posted By: casper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 1:46pm
Cools I hope I didn't worry you with my comments, the likely hood of attacks here on Merseyside are very low, these people like high profile targets for the propaganda value, airports, railway stations, shopping centres, usually were they can blend in and cause the most casualties, damage, disruption and cost to a countries infastructure.
Posted By: cools Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 1:56pm
Thanks Caspar for the reassurance but as we know it could happen anywhere but of course very much likely to happen in the capitals and airports etc. We all have family going on holiday, my son regularly goes on business trips to Europe, these are the times that worry me and I resent having to worry because of these fanaticals, but I still maintain we all gave to be vigilant .
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 2:19pm
Cools, I love that word "Fanaticals" I think I'll start using it, keep calm and carry on.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 4:26pm
Makes you wonder how people made it through WW2, not knowing if tonight would be the night a bomb might land on you (home folks) or a shell rip you to shreds, or a torpedo blow up your ship (as happened to my Dad) - etc etc.

As humans we always have to believe it will be someone else, don't we (heck we even do that for road accidents, tornadoes, hurricanes, getting on a bus train or plane...)

We live in a perpetual state of denial, really, don't we? (probably just as well, or else we'd never be able to venture outside our own door at all!!!!)
Posted By: starakita Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 23rd Mar 2016 5:55pm
I know these terror attacks are awful but it won't stop me from going about my normal day today life.I'm a bit concerened about my daughter going on the school trip to Paris,I've realised the time of their trip coincides with the Euros which could mean another attack but the school are constantly monitering the situation.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 9:12am
These Muslim communities that have infiltrated most countries in Europe are now proving to be breeding grounds for terrorists. I wonder if the governments of these countries wish that they could turn back the clock and not allow these cuckoos to enter their nests instead of worrying about whether it would cost them votes if they appear to be racially prejudice.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 11:00am
In Berlin the kids used to rollock anyone they saw getting into their car without doing a bomb check first. Being alert and cautious becomes second nature after a while and you do it naturally. Unattended packages should be a great concern, saw several blown up by the bomb squads as a precautionary measure. We weren't going around on hot bricks all the time but were just aware of the situation and reacted accordingly. An instance is that pair in the photos with black gloves on their left hands, suspicious behaviour. Never expected to have to do this back in Birkenhead though. Also never realised that it was the media going around setting of bombs, silly me.

oldman
Posted By: casper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 11:03am
As analogy and to avoid any hint of racism, if an apple wanted to hide it would hide in a barrel of apples, apologies if this comment has upset any apples.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 11:33am
About time somebody upset the apple cart !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 2:22pm
The bombs aren't about destroying things, its the publicity and terror, proper organised terrorists will usually go for higher values targets otherwise they are seen as weak so I doubt Birkenhead is at much risk.

The random independent yob is a slightly different kettle of fish.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 3:28pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The bombs aren't about destroying things, its the publicity and terror, proper organised terrorists will usually go for higher values targets otherwise they are seen as weak so I doubt Birkenhead is at much risk.

The random independent yob is a slightly different kettle of fish.
Bet the people of Warrington said the same about the IRA no one would bomb us, didn't they find terrorist living in Liverpool last year? link never say never
Posted By: granny Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 5:23pm
When we think back to what Radovan Karadzic did between 1992-1995, sentenced today to 40 yrs, it is another example of how some Muslim groups would want revenge, and many must still harbour the pain and suffering.

The next seven countries hoping to join the EU are; Bosnia, (45%) Serbia, (3.1%) Croatia,(1.4%) Serbia,(3.1%) Kosovo, (90%)Montenegro,(19%) Albania (80%) and Macedonia.(35%)

The numbers in brackets are the Muslim population in each country. Some populations are quite small, but as some are predominately Muslim, our ethics will have to change 'big time' and we will be pouring more money in, to support these poor countries.

From that scenario, ,as all states will have to agree on laws pertaining to all. EU will be a different place to contend with and unless we change our attitudes, I think this will be the longest battle in all eventualities, that the world has ever known. Particularly if Turkey comes into the equation.

Costs to the NHS in this country, for example, will be incredible, due to the fact that women patients won't be seen by men, and male patients won't be seen by women. Schools, Laws, Courts, Work ethics, the list goes on. and not so simple as there are many different groups of Islam with different priorities and we ( non Muslims ,who are the majority ) will have to twist ourselves into knots for fear of being anti .

The frustrations will develop into greater things for the fate of us all.

The yob at the end of the street, seems 'small fry' in comparison !!
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 6:16pm
So true granny and if we don't agree with them they'll pull the race card on us
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 24th Mar 2016 10:14pm
I was out there late 93 early 94 and they're all 'orrible. Trouble is that they will bring all their mutual animosity with them. Heard some terrible things out there and on top of that they didn't like us being in attendance either.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 25th Mar 2016 11:20am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Rifle found at the Brussels airport- how long will it take to discover the 'usual' un-damaged terrorist passports to appear? think

I share a little of your cynicism..remember Gladio. However, if states can sponsor terrorism as false flags so can fundamental ideologists. The ideology is harder to fight than the terrorists.You kill terrorists but have to educate against the ideology.Even harder when "god" is involved.
Posted By: casper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 25th Mar 2016 12:38pm
We need to look at the futility of it all, idealism, the allies used many hardcore Nazi's after the war, specifically against the Russians, many former Waffen SS soldiers joined the Foreign Legion and went on to fight in Indo China, a good read if you can still get it titled The Devils Guard, gives some background.
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 28th Mar 2016 2:07am
I recommend you all watch Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis. It's quite a long documentary, and takes a while to get going, but helps to explain the rise in terrorism. It's a very good documentary.

The world faces terrorism because of Salafi ideology, originating in Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Four things happened that help explain Islamic terrorism in the last 2 decades:

The first was the oil embargo of 1973 by the Saudis because of Western support of Israel. This made the Saudis confident and allowed them to hold the world to ransom using oil to achieve their aims. The balance of power was changed because of our addiction to oil. The pact that America made with Saudi Arabia after the second world war meant that they got cheap oil in exchange for guarantees of non-interference for Saudi Arabia and it's ideology.

The second was the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 to prop up a communist government. The West didn't like communism, so the USA funded Salafi Mujahideen groups to kick the Russians out. Once the Mujahideen achieved this, the USA pulled the plug on their funding and support, making them feel betrayed. The truth is, America always hated the Mujahideen, but they hated the Soviet Union even more, so they were happy to fund their proxy war.

The third was the 1979 Islamic Revolution in Shia majority Iran and the Grand Mosque Siege in Sunni majority Saudi Arabia. After the Grand Mosque siege finally came to an end two weeks later, the Islamists in the Saudi government decided it was time to wind the clocks back 1400 years to prevent it from happening again. The religious movement of Salafi/Wahhabi ideology, a branch of Sunni Islam, became the order of the day. From then on, women were banned from driving, cinema and theatres were closed down and music became illegal. Anything religious that wasn't to do with Islam, i.e a bible, became blasphemous and liable for public execution by beheading, and segregation of men and women was enforced by the religious police (Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice). Shia Islam became the number one enemy of the Islamists, and Western civilization a close second.

The forth and final nail in the coffin was the 2003 invasion of Iraq under false intelligence, and things have gone rapidly downhill since then.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 28th Mar 2016 7:21am
I think people look at the religious side too easily, its mostly young thugs that do the fighting, religion is just an excuse as they can't think of anything better to justify their blood-lust.
Posted By: casper Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 28th Mar 2016 7:37am
Good point DD some of our home grown terrorists have been petty criminals/ drug users, what better to live their dream of achievement, given a gun and the power that goes with it, the dizzy heights of being someone important, if you have seen the film scarface there are similarities, immigrants rising to power through violence and murder, "say hello to my lil friend"
Posted By: palemoon Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 28th Mar 2016 8:47am
Kieran 1981.

Thanks for that post. Interesting stuff.
Posted By: granny Re: Brussels Under Terror Attack - 28th Mar 2016 9:07pm
How on earth can someone be 'charged' with an offence and then released, due of lack of evidence. Maybe it's different in Belgium, but isn't it normal to be arrested on suspicion, and then charged. Not 'charged' first and then released ?

I hope they haven't made another massive blunder , if they have, they will NOT be popular.

----------------
A man referred to officially as Facyal C was released on 28 March after being arrested on 24 March in Brussels and charged with "participation in the activities of a terrorist group, terrorist murders and attempted terrorist murders

© Wirral-Wikiwirral