Forums
Posted By: granny Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 11:59am
Pleasing to know that although Merseyside's number of incidents were 69 times on children, there are no reported cases on Wirral or in Cheshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31608320

More than 400 children have had tasers drawn on them by police in England and Wales in 2013, figures obtained by the BBC show.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 1:36pm
Meh. Considering how violent and vile some youths are, I'm not too sympathetic. Don't be fooled by the use of the phrase "children".
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 2:06pm
That's 10 - 17 year olds, according to the article. How can you be called a child if you're above the age of consent, can leave school, join the army etc? A 16 year old completely off his/her head on cheap cider or worse won't be stopped by anything short of a taser, I reckon. Very misleading headline, but I'm not surprised - press always goes for the sensational angle.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 2:27pm
A group of youths acting in a pack mentality can be menacing. Some groups, even as young as ten, have gone on to beat up or cause the death of adults so the drawing of a taser or baton can often be a necessity as a lot of kids today have no respect for authority.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 2:37pm
What about the things you are unable to do legally, when seventeen or under. Vote, Drink buy cigarettes, gas or glue to name a few.I might as well throw in be paid the going rate for a days work.
The sensational headlines are part of growing up and recognising them for what they are, and saving the disappointment of being had.I did buy the Sunday sport one time (Woman has three breasts).I had to explain to all and sundry why I had bought the rag.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 2:44pm
The distinction has to be made between "children" and young feral thugs I suppose. A police officer may only have a second or two to issue A) a verbal warning or B) 50,000 volts !

Pre-nanny state, a thick ear and a frog-march back to the parents for another thwack from them would solve the problem. Sadly, no longer the case. Where's Dixon of Dock Green when you need him? grin
Posted By: Norton Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 3:18pm
Various quotes from a recent article on 'The State of Children's Rights 2014 Report' by Children's Rights Alliance England from Freedom of Information requests made to all police forces in England - but not all forces replied.

Tasers were deployed in some form against children in 230 cases last year, according to the report.

A spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers said they could not comment without seeing the raw figures.

Cases in which the less lethal weapons were actually fired - as opposed to being merely removed from the holster or "red dotted" - constitute a small minority, however.

The report recommended banning use of tasers on children.

Note that the BBC report is for 2013, and is from the Home Office, which says this is the first time it has released these figures.

Posted By: casper Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 4:58pm
I live near a school, some of the lads there are six foot odd and well built dont let the label "child" confuse you, I left school and went into the Merchant navy at 16 starting as a peggy you learned to do as you were told pretty quickly, no need for a taser, just a slap or a thump.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 25th Feb 2015 9:18pm
I think what is more shocking (pardon the pun) is the number of deaths caused by tasering. Would have thought they could come up with some safer form of "control" . But I suppose you could argue theres many people still alive that would otherwise just have been shot dead.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 26th Feb 2015 12:53am
The problem with 'control' when talking about controlling another person is how to take away their ability to still do harm to themselves or to others without causing harm to the controllers. Previous generations have gone from the sword and muskets down to batons and tasers in this country. This is because we, hopefully, are becoming more understanding and humane. The difficulty is which form of non-lethal measures do we use? All methods need to be despatched from a safe distance. So we have a choice of letting the person doing the wrong to carry on or control them via the likes of tasers, baton rounds, shooting bean bags, batons etc and they all have ethical issues and risks. I'm sure any sensible ideas to problem would be appreciated. After all, not all police officers are hardened and they too suffer from the stress and guilt of any unfortunate mishap.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 27th Feb 2015 9:09am
Great video of "children" beating up a drunk man:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/426842/VIDEO-Watch-man-drunk-fight-group-schoolboys
Posted By: Norton Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 27th Feb 2015 1:51pm
The most recent police statements that I have seen refer to Tasers (or Tasering) as the 'least-lethal' means of control.

If I remember correctly (as other posts on here do the same)then they had been called 'non-lethal'.

That seems to be a discrete admission that they are actually lethal.

I know, the police are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. And as a recent poll/survey revealed, two thirds of the population wouldn't have their job.
Posted By: Wench Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 5th Mar 2015 9:59pm
Given the choice between a baton, CS gas, land shark or taser, I would take the taser (not that I will ever be in that position) every time!

And just to clarify, just because the taser is drawn, that doesn't mean used wink Sometimes, just being red dotted is enough.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 6th Mar 2015 2:33pm
Don't know what all the fuss is about?

Got to be better getting a quick shock than getting kicked around by the cops like they did years ago. smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 6th Mar 2015 5:56pm
My son and his mate got red- dotted exciting a local Urbex Location. Arrested too but released without charge.

The place was surrounded by police- we thought it was a bit of an O.t.t reaction. Perhaps they were looking for some body else??
Posted By: casper Re: Tasers Drawn on 400 children in 2013 - 6th Mar 2015 6:46pm
Because of the many threats we all now face, i think there is an over reaction sometimes by the authorities, probably erring on the side of caution, you can understand it in some cases, as gratuitous violence seems to have become the norm, knives, bottles and in some cases guns used by those who appear to be normal, but whose brains live in the fantasy world of the big screen, where the injured and shot jump up and carry on and the drug addled dont know what they are doing.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral