Forums
Posted By: Mark Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London - 6th Nov 2014 11:37am
Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London from dawn to dusk
From the first light of dawn to the fall of night, thousands of people come each day to honour the First World War dead at the sea of red ceramic poppies at the Tower of London

Source Click Me

In the lead-up to Remembrance Day, volunteers have been planting thousands of ceramic poppies in the lawn around the Tower of London to remember those who died in the First World War.
The Telegraph filmed a time-lapse of the field of poppies from 06.30am to 5pm on Tuesday as huge crowds paraded past.
The memorial, which was created by artist Paul Cummins, includes 888,246 ceramic poppies which have been progressively filling the Tower's moat. At the peak of the installation on November 11, there will be one poppy for each British fatality in the First World War.
Up to four million people are expected to have visited the installation, called Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red.
A team of 11,000 volunteers will begin removing the display on November 12, with the proceeds from the sale of the poppies being split between six charities providing support to service personnel, veterans and their families.
Posted By: Mark Re: Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London - 6th Nov 2014 11:37am
The Poppy's are an amazing idea, and should stay all year round.
Posted By: granny Re: Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London - 6th Nov 2014 12:28pm
To me, this is one of the most wonderful and meaningful ideas ever. So powerful in making us understand, so beautiful to look at. Would be amazing to actually be at the Tower.

remember walking into cemetery near Bayeux and watching the tears roll down my late fathers cheeks as he found the gravestone of one of his comrades. Think that really brought home to me the emotional effect the war had on our young servicemen and women. Seems to easy for our politicians these days to commit our soldiers into harms way..IMO campaigns like Help For Heroes plays into the Governments hands --as long as they are seen to get support for our heroes then the less flack they get from joe public. We will remember them --we will remember them that also lost their lives based on mistruths told by Bliar and co.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London - 7th Nov 2014 11:39am
Mark, folk

I agree totally that this superb memorial should remain for a lot longer ie not start to be dismantled next week

If you agree then sign the petition on-line

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71621

Snod
Posted By: Mark Re: Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London - 8th Nov 2014 11:23am
Now extended until the End of november

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29965477

Posted By: granny Re: Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London - 9th Nov 2014 10:23am
. [youtube]58aX_EBwzr4[/youtube]
Posted By: granny Re: Poppy memorial time-lapse at Tower of London - 9th Nov 2014 10:31am
. [Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral