Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 4:19pm
BBC NEWS

Whats this nonsence?

Pay rise?

Bet they are on more than me and i work my ass off, was in work from 8am-11pm last night and these are moaning, pi**es me right off this crap!

Strikes should be illegal, sack em i say plenty of people out there willing to take the job.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 6:39pm
First strike in 30 years might suggest they have a genuine grievance
Posted By: chris58 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 7:21pm
I can see two sides of this strike.
1. My 21 year old daughter works at arrowe, works her b««ls off on 12hr shifts to be subjected to abuse from patients and families,smackheads, cleaning up sh»t, sick and other bodily fluids from people who can help themselves. She never moans and her attitude is you take the rough with the smooth.
2. Other side of the coin is how would i feel if a nurse was caring for my sick or dying relative and suddenly announced "sorry im off on strike now". I wouldnt be best pleased.

I doubt my daughter will take part in the strike, she believes the patient comes first. And I for one am proud of her
Posted By: casper Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 7:39pm
I can guarantee you Ste that some of the benefits you get at work have been fought for and won by trades unions and their members, to get these rights they had to take industrial action, and when they do this both they and their families suffer by losing wages and other things, no one chooses to strike, it is as a last resort, they probably are on better rates of pay thanks to efforts of themselves and their trade unions, so Ste instead of whinging and begrudging others and taking what others have fought and paid for, why don't you join a trade union ? your the same as a lot of people who condemn unions but are happy to reap the benefits without the pain, BTW those that steal others jobs are called scabs, in less tolerant times many years ago they were ostracised and spat on in the street, one of the lowest forms of human being.
Posted By: rossie Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 7:48pm
Nurses have to study for three years and obtain a degree then have a starting salary of around £20k. This includes shift allowance. Working late and Sundays without any extra pay. They have very responsible jobs.
HCA work shifts and earn little more than minimum wage.
Teachers are educated to the same level and time scale as a nurse.They work far less hours and earn far more.Teachers deserve their pay nurses should be paid the same or more.
Posted By: j_demo Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 8:02pm
Yeh they might be on more than you but the responsibility they have on a daily basis justifies their measly wage. Nurses should get more. Inpatient nurses should get more than community nurses for the sh*t and politics they have to deal with (nothing against community nurses, they work just as hard but a slightly less stressful and demanding environment) and as mentioned before, often on weekends and nights and all other unsociable hours including bank holidays (Christmas also included)

I for one support the strike. But without changing the whole NHS agenda for change pay scale, unfortunately I can't see a quick resolution.
Posted By: chris58 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 8:46pm
Trouble is with the Nhs theres too many chief's and not enough indians. Fat cats on nice salaries who dont get their hands dirty, with their nice safe jobs. I work in the nhs - not in the hospital, but its the biggest money wasting organisation. Granted their pension schemes good!
Posted By: j_demo Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 10:05pm
Originally Posted by chris58
Trouble is with the Nhs theres too many chief's and not enough indians. Fat cats on nice salaries who dont get their hands dirty, with their nice safe jobs. I work in the nhs - not in the hospital, but its the biggest money wasting organisation. Granted their pension schemes good!

agree completely.

I too work in the NHS and have worked for 4 different divisions/teams/services and each time there has been what i feel is too many in management positions and not enough actual workers to meet demand. Can't comment on the pension scheme, i'm not in it (i'm only 25, will start when i'm 30 and paid off my car and stuff) but i've heard good things about it. Staff discounts in shops and restaurants is also a bonus but nothing extraordinary though (usually 10% off, but domino's pizza is 50% which is nice and healthy lol)
Posted By: snowhite Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 12th Oct 2014 10:19pm
At the end of the day we have did our work,We work for what we earn.Its a struggle but at least it keep a roof over our heads.
I think a strike is worthwhile.
More the reason to protest.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 12:08am
Originally Posted by casper
Ste instead of whinging and begrudging others and taking what others have fought and paid for, why don't you join a trade union ?

You have not got a clue pal.

At the end of the day a job is a job, you choose to do that job and you know what it entails.

Originally Posted by j_demo
Yeh they might be on more than you but the responsibility they have on a daily basis justifies their measly wage. Nurses should get more. Inpatient nurses should get more than community nurses for the sh*t and politics they have to deal with (nothing against community nurses, they work just as hard but a slightly less stressful and demanding environment) and as mentioned before, often on weekends and nights and all other unsociable hours including bank holidays (Christmas also included)

You are only around 25, you haven't been born yet so shh.

Oh, and there are security guards in place for the s**t.

I have to deal with s**t like most others in their line of work, do we go on strike??? NO!

I can imagine the nhs workers are on good dollar, my point is, they have work, there are plenty of people who would happily work at their rate who cannot find work so what gives them the right to strike?

I am on the same wage in my job as when i started 8 years ago and i don't strike??? i go to work everyday without fail 9-6 sometimes 8pm and these mo fos are moaning about a pay rise?????

F O!

Don't know what work is!!!

I have every right to be p***ed off about this because i work my ass off 7 days a week, most nights until 11pm! thats what you call work!!! mad

Strike? Tehhh!!! mad

SACK EM & RECRUIT!!!
Posted By: casper Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 6:34am
Its you who doesn't have a clue, you spout the politics of jealousy like many others, poor me, I only get, work my fingers to the bone, well Ive got news for you your not the only one, perhaps you should think on when your doing over a ton on the motorway and cause an accident, those people you are denigrating might have to save your worthless life mad
Posted By: venice Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 7:37am
Originally Posted by chris58

FIVE BILLION POUNDS a year according to George O this morning!! Scary!

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 8:36am
Its you who doesn't have a clue, you spout the politics of jealousy like many others, poor me, I only get, work my fingers to the bone, well Ive got news for you your not the only one, perhaps you should think on when your doing over a ton on the motorway and cause an accident, those people you are denigrating might have to save your worthless life mad

You si.

Jealousy? About what?

People shouldn't strike, like i said there are plenty of people out there who are desperate for work who would happily take their jobs, if they don't like it they should ship out!
Same applys to me and everyone else!

Oh by the way, your comment is retarded.

when your doing over a ton on the motorway and cause an accident, those people you are denigrating might have to save your worthless life

Wtf?????

Posted By: Mark Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 9:01am
wikiopinion

Posted By: venice Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 10:40am
Being below the rate of inflation, I think the offer of just 1% is an insult ---for the staff (like all newbies) who are NOT already on the old 3% yearly incremental pay rises (which are paid automatically with only the proviso that the employee is 'competent ') However, Im not sure I agree that the staff ON the yearly 3% should also get the 1% on top, which is what it sounds like theyre asking for to me.
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 9:33pm
Ste is just trying to enflame argument like a good troll
Truth is we actually need more mid wives and to fill the gaps the powers that be pay MORE for agency staff etc
Many sectors have been taken over by private parasites like g4s serco capita etc. Theyd love everyone to be on 6.30 an hour to keep share holders happy and fat cat salaries topped up.
Sounds like stes job anyone could do....not years of education and sacrifice.
They have a right full claim since mps scumbags give themselves high increases wage wise.
I couldnt work in the nhs or the police ,army ,paramedics etc cause i couldnt deal with people or their problems,ill health,tolerate their abuse and so on....so i cant complain about people who do. They work hard and get crap pay.
ste has the mindset of the type who complain about firemen playing darts,cooks and lying in bed . When in reality they get 95 pound a day to cut dead people out cars at 3am ,dont have beds ,dont have snooker tables ,deal with floods ,fires,and pay in 100k to a pension of 30 years only to get it halved when they come to it.
you wont change his views, maybe when he gets old or needs help or crashes his car or sets fire to his house he will realise he talks tosh.
its like the old saying " one can never talk until youve walked in their shoes "
dissent is how things change and people stand against getting shafted.
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 13th Oct 2014 9:37pm
Plus .... didnt the dti study of mid wives say they should be on 35 k not 20!?
But the gov say "youre not getting it "
Pity we cant say that to their 65 k a year!
Posted By: granny Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 12:23am
Starter level midwives are just over £21K increasing to £26K after the first 12/24 months. The next band up is anywhere between £30,500 and £40,500 . As I understand it, the ones on higher bands are the groups that are wanting an extra 1% on top of their already 3%. Don't know about any of the other NHS staff.

This is a chart of national average figures for 2012. I have yet to understand which county the national average is taken from. Probably not around here. Once upon a time companies offered salaries on a competitive scale, now they stick to the job evaluation salaries, which was a very clever move on the part of the previous government. Just made sure that everyone on the lower end of the spectrum was put in a box, and stopped mobility for job seekers.( Can't work in Cheshire or London if you can't afford the rent.) So everyone lives with their mums now.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...average-UK-salaries-400-occupations.html

Chief Executive of WBC receives £135,000. So he's overpaid, according to the national average.

Posted By: svenlock68 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 6:39am
Ive been to nyc alot its a great city,while there last year there was strikes by macdonalds workers (they are on 4.30 an hour) yet rent in the city starts at 3500 dollars a month.
Just imagine the uproar in the uk if low pay workers got that!!
Admittedly unions have no real power now but to strike ,thatcher started that in 1984 with the miners.
Private companies would love workers to be on 3 pound an hour if they could legally get away with it. More profits for them.
It all reminds me of george carlins speech "the ametican dream" i mention on here alot.
Or the the band "heartland" track recorded in 1986 !
The uks become a bad version of the usa ==watch x factor as your job gets changed and your pension gets raped,stay dumb ,dont argue and consume products via debt like a good consumer robot. Sad really
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 6:48am
Matt johnson was and is a great song writer
His track "sweet bird of truth" is about war in the middle east and can be applied lyrically today.
Its on the the "infected" album 1986.together with "heart land "
Posted By: dustymclean Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 10:13am
I've been down the West Coast of Africa a lot, but would not think of using the pay scale of another country as a comparison.All governments use smoke and mirrors to keep the poor poor.One of the reasons Globalisation has fallen on its backside is the disparity of wages in a global market place.Enjoy Rip Off Britain while you can. "Robin Hood" was the next prime minister at every election since I can remember and workers have had to crowbar everything they have from their paymasters. "The Pitchforks" really are coming.
Posted By: granny Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 10:24am
There are times when I do think strike action is necessary, but there are also times when strike action is not possible. It would appear to be the professionals and the higher paid workers, who are able to strike in this country, with a view to holding a gun to a head.
The low paid worker in McDonalds has no choice. They get either take it or leave it. The same with all the small businesses, that more often than not are owned by persons who have not a clue about works ethics etc.
There are also the contracts which will not exceed two years. Therefore nobody can be considered for rent or purchase unless they have been employed for over two years in the same job. We also find in certain sectors that lunch hour/lunch half hour has been eroded, and it is now 20mins if working over 7 hours.
Where are the unions in those cases ? Those are the things they should be targeting but all those re-designed practices were put into force by the last government, which was really working against the very people they purported to support.
In the 60's and 70's, they did get better working conditions not only pay, but Unions took it too far and brought the country to it's knees.
So in my opinion the Unions are of no worth now, you can just keep giving them your money to pay their mostly excessive salaries. They have to appear to be doing something and if winding people up into taking action, then that's their reason for being there !
The total pay of the general secretaries and chief executives earning over £100,000
was over £4.6 million in 2009-10, that was up 5.4 per cent from under £4.4
million in 2008-09 for the leaders of the same unions.

Top of the list, according to the report, was Michael Bradley, of the General Federation of Trade Unions, whose package totalled £203,416. His salary was £65,594, but other benefits, including pension payments, were worth £137,822 – boosted by a ‘loss of office’ payment of £30,000 when he retired at the end of December last year

Derek Simpson from Unite £186,000.in 2012

Makes your eyes water doesn't it ?

The Uk has always followed in America's footsteps. What happens there, finds it's way over here a few years later.
NYC might appear to be a great place from the view of the visitor, but as half the population is living in near poverty, are we expected to follow that tradition of theirs too ?

March 2014

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/nyc-poverty_n_5240355.html

The study revealed 45.6 percent of New Yorkers are barely making ends meet, even with more adults working full-time since the recession. A combination of low wages, rising rents, and a lack of benefits is largely to blame.

I've said too much again... but I would like to see someone make it possible for the lower paid to keep a roof over their heads before we end up like yet another eastern European country with a nation of beggars and thieves. Why should people not be allowed to have some dignity in this life ?
Posted By: bert1 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 10:42am
Originally Posted by granny

I've said too much again... but I would like to see someone make it possible for the lower paid to keep a roof over their heads before we end up like yet another eastern European country with a nation of beggars and thieves. Why should people not be allowed to have some dignity in this life ?

Fairer distribution of wealth and the elimination of greed, how's that for starters Granny?
Posted By: svenlock68 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 11:00am
I do realise ceo pay is out of hand ( including charities ) it has gone up in the recession but if people remain "will fully ignorant " of whats being done to them,their pay ,their pension, etc it will continue.

Posted By: granny Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 11:27am
Originally Posted by bert1
Originally Posted by granny

Fairer distribution of wealth and the elimination of greed, how's that for starters Granny?

Let's not forget Peter Mandleson's words. " I have no objection to people being stinking rich"
He now being President of the Policy Network, a International policy think tank, from where most of our policies are directed.
'Mandelson bought a home in Notting Hill in 1996 with the assistance of an interest-free loan of £373,000 from Geoffrey Robinson, a millionaire Labour MP who was also in the government' An undeclared loan for which he was sacked, but brought back again....how many times?
Maybe to target the indiscriminate crooks within the parties would be an objective. There is reason to believe that corruption breeds corruption.

It depends on what you call wealth Bert. Is it British individuals or British Gas. I for one, would consider anyone with an income over £17,000 as wealthy. Maybe you and I could pool our resources and I could have more and you could have less ? Would you be happy with that outcome ? smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 12:30pm
Granny,
You can gladly have half of my nothing.
Posted By: Dilly Re: NHS STRIKE MONDAY - 14th Oct 2014 1:00pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Granny,
You can gladly have half of my nothing.

and I will give you the other half smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral