Forums
Who in their right mind ok's these decisions

http://swns.com/news/wetherspoons-open-24-hour-pub-serving-booze-motorway-service-station-36142/
Idiots, lets just promote drink driving eh?

Total fools!
Originally Posted by reddragon
That has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard, of course some one has been paid of to give the go ahead on this.

Next I suppose they will want to hold AA meetings in pubs.
If you travel to Spain or Europe you will see that a bars and fuel stations go hand in hand. And yes i though it was crazy when i seen them.

Also motorway car parks allow you only 2hrs stay before you get a nice big clamp or fine. As the report says a disaster waiting to happen.
apart from the 24 hour license i honestly don't see what all the fuss is about?
Originally Posted by mrhanky

This is a possible example of what can happen at these motorway pubs
" Drunk mother jailed after driving wrong direction on motorway for 23 MILES " found on same page as above link I know I wouldn't like to meet a driver never mind a drunk driver coming towards me on any motorway
Originally Posted by mrhanky

This is a possible example of what can happen at these motorway pubs
" Drunk mother jailed after driving wrong direction on motorway for 23 MILES " found on same page as above link I know I wouldn't like to meet a driver never mind a drunk driver coming towards me on any motorway

so do we close down every pub that can be accessed by road?

surely what you should of said was...

This is a possible example of what can happen at any pub in the country

I think it is fairly obvious that they intend to be predominantly selling food and it will also be there to service the travel lodge but don't let that get in way of some good old fashioned moral outrage.
Comeon it's ridiculous having ale served at the side of a motorway.

Totally different to around town roads.
but what about at the side of a dual carriageway? or on the same road as a school?
Wanna drink then you wont be on the M40. Police will be all over it. Dont see the problem. I have such sympathy for anyone who has suffered loss from drink drivers but its not the supplier its the drinker who drives.
Okay, whatever you think. We are all entitled to our opinions guys.

I know for a fact it WILL cause problems, there are a lot of irresponsible people out there.

Just because you guys wouldn't do it doesn't mean to say others wouldn't.

wink
cheers for the support _ste_
Well I suppose that a lot of people won't get done speeding home for a bevy when then can make a pit stop en-route. Hat, coat, door......
Realistically, hysteria apart, the net result of this will be zero. If you are dumb enough to drink and drive, there are already gazillions of places that you can drink and then hop right onto a Motorway. Maybe we should close all those, as someone already said? Or bring back Prohibition?
By definition, the incident Red referred to (person driving the wrong way on a Motorway) can't have been due to drinking at, then exiting, a Service Area the wrong way, can it? (which, by the way, is probably quite a bit harder to do / less likely to happen, at a Services than at a normal junction?)
In case you all haven't noticed service stations are miles between towns most of the time.

There are no excuses.

There are plenty of dumb idiots that WILL drink and drive.

There WILL be crap caused by the brainless morons that have allowed this to happen.

Don't come out with bollox like "maybe we should close all pubs" or "it's just the same as driving past one in town", No, it's not and like I said, the idea is beyond belief and ludicrous.

Freakin joke. no
The article does state:

"Wetherspoons defended the move by saying motorists could already buy alcohol at many supermarket branches at motorway service stations"

If alcohol was such a problem then wouldn't that be banned?

The problem is that people are creating "what if" scenarios to suit their personal agenda and opinion.

The police haven't objected, surely they know more than the average forum armchair expert?
Miles between towns? That may be true of many but this is about J2 of the M40. If you have never been there, then you might not realize that these "Motorway Services" aren't even ON the M40 Motorway at all (like most others are), they're on normal roads NEAR the M40 (just South of J2) and they are not only accessible from the Motorway, like most others are, local traffic can use them too. So it's really not that different from most any other Pub that is within easy reach of a Motorway junction.
IIRC there was similar outrage when the Spoons planned to rival McDonalds and start doing breakfasts. Some years on and there's no rampant alcoholism at 8am like people claimed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1257226/Pub-chain-open-7am-breakfast-beer.html
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Miles between towns? That may be true of many but this is about J2 of the M40. If you have never been there, then you might not realize that these "Motorway Services" aren't even ON the M40 Motorway at all (like most others are), they're on normal roads NEAR the M40 (just South of J2) and they are not only accessible from the Motorway, like most others are, local traffic can use them too. So it's really not that different from most any other Pub that is within easy reach of a Motorway junction.

Storm in a tea-cup?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral