Forums
Posted By: rocks lotto changes - 19th Jan 2013 8:52pm
the price is getting doubled!!!
http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/lottonews.ftl
Posted By: TheDr Re: lotto changes - 19th Jan 2013 9:52pm
They're taking it up from £1 per line to £2

If you read the blurb it tells you how matching three numbers will now give you £25 not just a tenner, and how the jackpots will increase, it's just one line in the middle, easily missed, that says the cost will double.

A lot of people play the same numbers week after week, have done for years, so they'll probably try and keep it up, the thing is, do we really need it ?

If the prizes are doubling (or more than doubling) does that increase your odds of winning, no, they must stay the same as the game hasn't changed.

Has anyone ever complained because the jackpot that week was "only" £4 million, and they had to share it ?

The lottery, to me, has always been a bit of fun. It costs a couple of quid a week, now and then you win a tenner, and some of us know people who've won big, but no one (realistically) plans their next week banking on winning this, and by increasing the amount you have you stake I see it becoming a problem for some people, perhaps the amount bet on it actually decreasing, meaning the ultimate jackpots will stay about the same.

The National Lottery is a fun way to raise money, okay so it may be a form of stealth tax that we voluntarily pay, but by increasing he price I think it changes the whole game.
Posted By: Salmon Re: lotto changes - 19th Jan 2013 10:10pm
Surely most people spend a weekly amount (£2 or whatever) so they will just buy half the number of tickets so the revenue will stay the same.I cannot imagine many folk doubling the expenditure.
Posted By: granny Re: lotto changes - 19th Jan 2013 11:41pm
Not sure about stealth tax Doc. How much of our £1 goes towards 'good causes'?

Camelot sold to Canadian pension fund for £400m

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/25/camelot-takeover-ontario-teachers-pension-plan
Posted By: rocks Re: lotto changes - 20th Jan 2013 11:31am
i only play one line on both days but that still amounts to £8mth there is no-way i can afford £16mth and so how can i pick which day to play? weds? sat? as i'll be scared to check the other days numbers in case i would have won, iv played the same numbers for many years, i may just stop playing altogether then and never check the numbers "just to see" if i would have won as id be more than gutted if they came up after all these years. i may play the Irish instead, no more dreams of being a lotto millionaire frown
Posted By: Salmon Re: lotto changes - 20th Jan 2013 11:43am
You will not be alone Rocks, I can see many folk dropping out and very few doubling their weekly spend.Camelot have,hopefully, shot themselves in the foot.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral