Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 4:18pm
Royal Mail are putting the prices up next month on stamps.

First Class stamps will be 60p and Second Class 50p.

For those who can remember when we had a decent postal system, that is 12/0d and 10/0p respectively.

Ten bob for a second class stamp - you've GOT to be joking!!!

No Christmas cards from me this year then. I will be putting "Christmas Greetings to All" in the December edition of the Mytholmroyd and Todmorden Sewage Works Enthusiast Magazine instead !

Royal Mail is being privatised next (?) year. THEN watch the prices leap up even more ! oldman

Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 4:52pm
wont be long before everythin is e-mail!!!
Posted By: hoseman Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 4:57pm
Havent they capped the 2nd class at 55p?
We send loads of invoices and statements from the business, told the missus to look at E mailing them now and if not might invest in a Franking Machine. The postal service round here in Bromborough is abysmal, weve complained so many times and all they say is that there is too much for the one guy to deliver!!!!
What p*sses me off is that when they sent TWO guys out in a van, they park outside ours (caus we are in the middle) and both walk in opposite directions up and down the other side of the road and do us LAST!!!!! No wonder no one uses their service, serves them right!!!
Posted By: JellyStar Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 5:43pm
Please ALL this has nothing to do with your lovely Post Office Counter Staff!! Don't come in tommorow and tell us it's disgusting, we know smile
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 5:59pm
Originally Posted by JellyStar
Please ALL this has nothing to do with your lovely Post Office Counter Staff!! Don't come in tommorow and tell us it's disgusting, we know smile

Haha we could never blame the staff laugh specially not the ones in the liscard post office I constantly go in there with LOADS of stuff an all staff have always been spot on, now i wont go any where else
Posted By: Tatey Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 6:16pm
I hardly ever post anything, so for me it is not a problem, but when my local pub informed me today that the beer was going up by 5 pence a pint (or 1 shilling to us old farts) I replied that my first PINT only cost a shilling! I may give up drinking!!!
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 6:18pm
our postman openly admits he goes for a full cooked brecky during his round and he doesnt get to us till at least 1.30pm!!!!
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 6:57pm
I spend about 10k per year at the post office so definitely going to feel hike in prices, not just 1st an second class stamps , its everything going up frown
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 6:57pm
not sent a letter for years so its not going to affect me in anyway

Wonder how long it will be before we are charged for our emails noonoo
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 7:54pm
Same here Jabber, the last time i sent a letter , i think it was about 24 pence for the stamp .lol
Posted By: Katryn Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 8:32pm
woah it is just a few pennies Blimey!!
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 9:16pm
Its a 30% rise in first class so if you use the post a lot then it will matter- obviously you are just a normal user but in business this is a huge issue. I suppose it will make everyone turn more to scanning and emailing.
But yes you are correct it only seems like a few pennies.
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 9:18pm
Report him then- thats the type of behaviour that puts up prices- then again I would do the same if I did not get caught as I am fat lol
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 9:25pm
Originally Posted by Katryn
woah it is just a few pennies Blimey!!

To an average user it is but to business as chopper said its alot.

I spend £10,000 a year to royal mails postal services and now with the increase it will add an extra £3,000 to the total.

I am sure I am just small fish compared to huge companies however its still alot
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 10:00pm
Originally Posted by JellyStar

Very true, its the bigwigs raping it before it goes private. Remember folks we are all slaves to huge corperations and everything is expendable, including the queens own mail service.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 27th Mar 2012 10:04pm
I remember hearing a couple of years ago now that Royal Mail lost money on 1st and 2nd class letter deliverys, and made the difference in parcel and larger item deliverys.

Whilst the price has really stepped up, has it been much higher than the increased cost in fuel used to deliver a lot of these, and they must also set a fixed price to send a letter to ANY UK address at both extremes of the country think
Posted By: JellyStar Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 28th Mar 2012 8:14pm
:)Thank You. I'm in a town centre branch and to be honest it really was'nt too bad today, a few moans here and there (quite rightly) not directed at us!! They don't actually rise until 30th April so I say PANIC BUY!!! grin
Posted By: TheDr Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 28th Mar 2012 8:30pm
If you buy stamps with FIRST on them now, will they still go as first when the price goes up?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 28th Mar 2012 8:34pm
Should do Dr!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 28th Mar 2012 9:33pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
If you buy stamps with FIRST on them now, will they still go as first when the price goes up?

Yes, whatever the current price might be. Applies to second class too, of course.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 9:48am
Might I encourage you to do what I did last year? Instead of sending Christmas cards out I sent £50 to Help for Heroes. I told as many people as I could by email that I would not be sending cards out and tried to encourage them to do the same. Total waste of money is cards as far as I am concerned.

P.S. You get a nice thankyou from H4H as well.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 10:44am
An excellent idea Bandy. It might be an idea to refresh this thread again just before Crimbo. I'd gladly give H4H the equiv. amount. Better them than the Royal Mail!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 11:30am
Yer I like that, facebook can help there aswell, provided your friends and family use FB!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 11:54am
More scheming from the good people of Wiki to condemn more to the dole queue, its a wonder no one has suggested, get the troops to deliver them in between dropping the fuel off.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 12:23pm
Afternoon Bert1,How are you ? I was in Costco yesterday evening and some bloke in front of me bought £500.00 worth of stamps ,at the lower price and he stands to make a decent profit when the time come`s ,he will no doubt be charging top price then June
Posted By: dannyp13 Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 7:12pm
RIP-OFF BRITAIN....or should that be rip britain..... go figure

danny
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 8:40pm
Hi Danny smile i agree with that too rip britain
Posted By: jimbob Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 29th Mar 2012 8:49pm
Have we been paying to little for a long time as far as the price of first or second class post for a letter. After all you pay the same price for a letter you want to send to say Liverpool, as you do for one you may send to Glasgow, and for 95 to 99% of the time its an exelent service.
Posted By: JellyStar Re: Rip-off stamp prices! - 30th Mar 2012 7:54pm
To be fair, yes it is a huge price hike, however postage in some other countries is much more than ours. At the mo it costs 68p to send a card (up to 20g) to Europe, cheap as chips!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral