Forums
Posted By: ResearcherTony Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 17th Jan 2012 10:22am
to me this is another reason why human rights needsto be seriously changed when dealing with individuals like this!

Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported to Jordan because he could be tortured, European human rights judges rule

A hate cleric has been told he can stay in the UK because of his human rights, despite being described as Osama bin Laden's right hand man in Europe.

In a blow to the British government, radical Muslim Abu Qatada was told that he would not be deported back to Jordan even though he has been convicted on terror charges.
Described by one judge as 'a truly dangerous individual', he remains an iconic figure for many supporters of Jihad.
The European Court of Human Rights said that he could not be sent back because 'there remains a real risk that evidence obtained by torture will be used against him'.
He has been described by another judge as 'a truly dangerous individual', he remains an iconic figure for many supporters of jihad.
The decision flies in the face of UK law Lords who ruled almost three years ago that he could be sent back to Jordan and is the first time the Strasbourg-based court has found that and expulsion would be in violation of the right to a fair trial.
But in a landmark judgment in February 2009, five Law Lords unanimously backed the Government’s policy of removing terror suspects from Britain on the basis of assurances from foreign governments.
Jacqui Smith, the then-home secretary, said the ruling vindicated the Government’s efforts to remove dangerous individuals.
But Qatada’s lawyers appealed to the European Court of Human Rights, where the latest ruling was made.
Today's court ruling - which went against the UK Law Lords' judgment and agreed with the earlier decision of the Court of Appeal - means the 51-year-old cleric must stay in Britain, where he is currently held at Belmarsh high-security prison, for now at least.

The Law Lords' judgment had been a boost for the Government's use of written guarantees from other countries that they will not torture deportees returned home

Source
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 12:19am
I am not even surprised when I hear these stories anymore.

Why dont we just say that the lions in London zoo are hungry, as that would be inhumane we are letting him leave the country of his own free will.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 12:29am
I would love Willian Hague to rule he would be all for capitail punnishment and deport all thease immagrants.
more jobs and less tax comming out our wages.
and he is fair as well. am not racist or against any ethnic backgrounds. but i think the law on everything needs to get tough.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 1:18am
Another Daily Fail story from Tony! Thx dude!

/nonstory.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 9:19am
To save the air fare deporting him, let's torture him here.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 10:29am
He goes but Nick Griffin stays?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 6:04pm
Nick Griffin stays because he is British, like it or not. He also is not fomenting unrest abroad. I don't support him at all but just answering the question.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 6:11pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Nick Griffin stays because he is British, like it or not. He also is not fomenting unrest abroad. I don't support him at all but just answering the question.

withthat

wellsaidbandy, have you ever heard of modern day englishmen trying to force rule in the middle eastern muslim states?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 6:42pm
We had thousands of British troops in Iraq recently, does that count.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 6:55pm
To be honest I've been in loads of places where sections of the local community didn't want us to be there but while I was there I still obeyed their laws and rules, well mostly. I certainly didn't monk about what they did or try to overturn their local governement. We have to move on in a changing world but I don't necessarily believe that blowing up the host country is particularly helpful. The Afghan bit and the Iraq War are politician led things about which I have no control, the sameas everything else, but terrorist shouldn't be given a free hand, especiall Captain Hook.
To be honest I've been in loads of places where sections of the local community didn't want us to be there but while I was there I still obeyed their laws and rules, well mostly. I certainly didn't monk about what they did or try to overturn their local governement. We have to move on in a changing world but I don't necessarily believe that blowing up the host country is particularly helpful. The Afghan bit and the Iraq War are politician led things about which I have no control, the sameas everything else, but terrorist shouldn't be given a free hand, especiall Captain Hook.

nicely sid bandy, these left wingidiots havegonesofarleft they haveleft reality, when one isaway u must obey, countries are different for a reason.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 7:59pm
I thought this thread was about deporting someone to a country where he may get tortured, So Tony while your peddling your right wing vomit and giving the impression you have no problem with torture, remember the European court has stopped his deportation for that reason, while we are in Europe we have to abide by it, also remember this, there are two sides to every coin, the flip side to this one is how can we protest against British citizens and British service men and women being tortured if we knowingly let anyone we deport face the same.
I'm quite happy to see him in our prisons, who knows, the Jordanians might let him go.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 8:10pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I thought this thread was about deporting someone to a country where he may get tortured....
er, no, no-one said he may get tortured himself, what was actually said was:
The European Court of Human Rights said that he could not be sent back because 'there remains a real risk that evidence obtained by torture will be used against him'.
Not quite the same thing.
Personally I think he's lucky to be kept alive by the UK that he despises so much - he could easily have ended up with the fishes, like his buddy Osama..!
Posted By: DavidB Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 8:18pm
Heeeeeerrreee we go agaaaaainnnn.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 8:23pm
Bert made a mistake and I pointed it out. Anyone got a problem with that?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 8:54pm
No problems from my end, please read dark black type, top of post.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 9:59pm
OK Bert fair point I missed that.
My fault for actually reading the article cited by the link to the Source, which actually says the following (my boldening):
"The Strasbourg court accepted that diplomatic assurances given by Jordan to the UK meant that Qatada would be protected from torture if he were returned to face charges in relation to the so-called Jordan Millennium bomb plot.
But the judges added that the deportation had to be stopped because it was likely that torture had been used to gather evidence against him."
Posted By: bert1 Re: Hate cleric Abu Qatada cannot be deported - 18th Jan 2012 10:38pm
Either way torture is unacceptable, gaining evidence by torture is dodgy to say the least, the likely outcome is false testimony due to pain and most people will own up to anything to avoid that pain. I have no liking for Qatada and frankly little trust of assurances that he won't be tortured, as I said before, we can't have it both ways, we can't object on one hand and accept it on the other.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral