Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 2:21pm
Broadcaster Bob Holness has died at the age of 83, according to his family.
Mr Holness, best known as the host of the ITV1 quiz Blockbusters, had a career spanning almost 60 years.
A statement released by his family said he "died peacefully in his sleep early this morning".
Mr Holness, who suffered a number of strokes and has been in a nursing home, leaves his wife Mary, three children and seven grandchildren.
Holness was born in Natal, South Africa, but grew up in Kent after his family moved back to England.
He returned to South Africa as a young man to begin a career as an actor and broadcaster that saw him star in radio plays, including one where he played an early version of superspy James Bond.
In a 2008 interview, he told the BBC: "Well, that just came up through a hole in the floor. I was doing lots of radio plays at the time but I wanted to do something a bit different so when James Bond came up I ventured in and said yes.
"I had never even heard of him at the time but it became an amazing part to play and the response from listeners was terrific."
He returned to England in 1961 and became a familiar face on television, but it was roles as chairman of BBC 1's Call My Bluff and host of Blockbusters that made him a household name.
The quiz, which ended in 1993, featured student contestants answering a series of trivia questions based on the letters of the alphabet.
A regular feature of the show saw Mr Holness trying to keep a straight face despite facing sniggering students asking him: "Can I have a P please Bob?" - a question he claimed never to be fed up with hearing.
He said: "People say 'Don't you ever get fed up with it?' but I didn't. I loved everything to do with the show so it always got a very positive reception from me, however many times I heard it."
The arrival of dance drug Ecstasy on the rave scene also saw Mr Holness regularly asked for an E by his student contestants.
One mark of his popularity was the widespread urban myth, believed by many, that Mr Holness played the trademark saxophone solo on the Gerry Rafferty hit Baker Street.
It is believed to have been started as a spoof by music paper NME in 1990.
In a statement, his family said: "Iconic television host and broadcaster Bob Holness passed away peacefully in his sleep during the early hours of the morning, aged 83, after his health deteriorated following a number of minor strokes over the past few years.
"Although Bob will be best remembered for being the host of the cult television programme Blockbusters, it should be mentioned Bob was also an accomplished theatre actor and his radio broadcasting career spanned over six decades.
"The famous Pinner resident was beloved by students everywhere for his catchphrase 'I'll have a P, please, Bob'.
"Bob leaves behind a loving wife, three children and seven grandchildren."

Sky news
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 2:39pm
sad news r.i.p
Posted By: reddragon Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 4:08pm
thoughts go out to Bobs family R.I.P Bob
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 4:25pm
on a lighter note " i will have a p, please bob"

This guy brought many hours of entertainment in my childhood, really was a nice fellow, back when presenters were regular people and not camp ass people.

sorry to hear he has died but im sure he is a guy that will always be remembered.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 4:26pm
Well said Tony, shame that, I remember him from my childhood aswell, i'd put him on par with roy walker etc, guys a legend
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 4:40pm
can remember him from call my bluff as well which was also a good show
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 5:01pm
RIP man give us a p please bob before you go...... just one last time
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 6:54pm
i used to come home from school and watch it, still do now on challange, i'll have a R.I.P bob
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 7:08pm
Good genuine bloke.

Thanks to reminder of "Call my Bluff", an absolutely brilliant program thanks to the great characters on the panels.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 7:30pm
god, i remember the days of robin ray and frank muir on call my bluff

also loved blockbusters, a good programme
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 7:32pm
Suce a shame

R.I.P bob
Posted By: TheDr Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 6th Jan 2012 11:25pm
Can we have an R.I.P please, for Bob
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 7th Jan 2012 12:12pm
[youtube]HldatSdS8_4[/youtube]
Posted By: ResearcherTony Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 7th Jan 2012 12:15pm
[youtube]nSKQR0k6tUY[/youtube]
Posted By: Edna_ Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 7th Jan 2012 1:40pm
So sad, R.I.P Bob
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Broadcaster Bob Holness Dies Aged 83 - 19th Jan 2012 7:12am
So sad.. this man was my idol when i was a kid.. Great Charecter and when Blockbusters finished i was livid.. Then long came Call My Bluff.. Well i watched it or tried to catch it every time.. Great panel of chacters and this program. Introduced me to one amazing woman and very funny.. Sandi Toksvig.. RIP Bob.. You will be missed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral