Forums
Posted By: Clive Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 7:39am
MOTORWAY speed limits are to go up from 70mph to 80mph, the Government confirmed yesterday.
The new maximum for cars and vans will come into force within two years, Transport Secretary Philip Hammond announced.

As he launched a consultation ahead of the change in 2013, he insisted experience abroad showed a "minimal" safety impact.

The 70mph limit dates from 1965 — before seatbelt laws and airbags.

Mr Hammond branded it "out of date" and said the new limit will give a huge boost to UK finances.

But Greenpeace scoffed: "The Saudi oil minister will be rubbing his hands with glee."

Mr Hammond said: "It is time to put Britain back in the fast lane of global economies."

He said quicker journey times will benefit the country by "hundreds of millions of pounds" — even though a similar change in Denmark saw overall speeds actually increase by less than 6mph.

Accidents barely rose — and Mr Hammond pointed to massive advances in brakes and safety features since our 70mph limit was imposed almost 50 years ago.

He said: "The economic benefits will outweigh the very, very small impact on casualty numbers."

The Irish and Spanish can already do 75mph. The French and Italians drive at 81mph. German autobahns have no limit.

Ellen Booth, of safety campaign Brake, said deaths are "likely to increase".

The AA said: "The best speed limits are ones drivers understand and respect."

Source
Posted By: Wheels Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 7:56am
I've always thought modern cars would be built in such a way so when they are driving at 70mph they are at their most economical (gearing ect) ?. Or is that me just making things up again raftl
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 9:24am
Raise motorway limit (maybe have a higher limit on the fast lane only) and lower speed limit in built up and school areas.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 9:50am
I'll continue to drive in the same way I always have, which is watching the road, being aware of all junctions and other traffic and not overdriving my brakes or my field of vision.

In my view there is a massive difference between driving too fast and exceeding the limit.

If the limit goes up to 80 then I will continue to drive at 100 when I feel it's safe, just like I'll continue to drive slower than 30 past a school even though 30 would be 'legal'.

[Linked Image]

EDIT: I have 3 points coming my way for 47 in a 40 on a well lit dual carriageway at 2am... it won't stop me exceeding the limit, it's just a risk you take.

Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 9:50am
Originally Posted by Wheels
I've always thought modern cars would be built in such a way so when they are driving at 70mph they are at their most economical (gearing ect) ?. Or is that me just making things up again raftl

I think that's you making it up. Different cars will have different speeds at which they are most economical.
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 9:59am
Think its about time they raised the motorway speed limit. Think they should have a minimum limit too.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 10:05am
Mine is most efficient at about 55 especially if I'm behind a truck but its soul destroying so I don't bother. That's in a 2.0 diesil by the way.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 10:17am
Originally Posted by Pepper_Head
Think its about time they raised the motorway speed limit. Think they should have a minimum limit too.

I think the ROI has a minimum limit of 30 but I'm sure nothing like that exists here. You'd be more likely to be prosecuted for careless or dangerous driving if your speed was causing an issue.

Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 10:19am
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Mine is most efficient at about 55 especially if I'm behind a truck but its soul destroying so I don't bother. That's in a 2.0 diesil by the way.

I remember reading that 56 was the speed at which it was generally accepted you would be being most economical, on average.

If I'm driving for work I tend to sit at the same speed as the lorries/trucks, mainly as there's no need to risk speeding fines etc when I'm in no rush and also because I'm getting 40p for each of these miles so if I can make the tank last 350 miles rather than 250 then that's £40 in my pocket.
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 10:48am
Well people who join the motorway from a standing start in 1st gear & then proceed down the motorway & 50 in the middle lane are a danger to other road users.
Posted By: Clive Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 10:53am
I drove down to Bournemouth a few month ago, and I never went over 60 I was comfortable at that speed so that is what I will do.
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 10:54am
Originally Posted by Willo
I drove down to Bournemouth a few month ago, and I never went over 60 I was comfortable at that speed so that is what I will do.

Thats fine mate in the correct lane.
Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 10:58am
Not many things make me as angry as a middle lane moron.
Posted By: Clive Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 11:01am
sorry
Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 11:10am
sorry

I wasn't calling you a MLM...

But, if you are... lamethrower

Haha.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 11:13am
When heading down to the Wirral a few weeks ago, motorway 99% of the way, I generally stuck to 70. Kept to lane 1 except to overtake HGV's and the occasional Vicar in his Micra.

En route home I came from Chirk to Ayrshire in one hop. The difference was, that not being in any rush at all, I generally did 60 in lane 1. I can't quote figures, but the decrease in fuel consumption was noticable!

Yes, I've read in a couple of motoring columns that mid-50's is the most economical, but that speed on the motorway sucks.

Does anyone else wish they had a RPG to fire at lane 2 hoggers? Grrrrrrrrr.
Posted By: Clive Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 11:21am
laugh

Attached picture imagesCADCM1TX.jpg
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 11:27am
laugh

PMSL. Class mate. raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 30th Sep 2011 11:31am
Excellent !!!!
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 4:17pm
they should make it like Germany and have no speed limits, that would be fun.

My car is probably most economical doing about 60 mph, averaging about 22 mpg, if i do 90-100 its alot less
Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 4:27pm
Do those Renaults really only do 22mpg at 60?

That's pretty horrendous!

Bit like the Focus ST, the amount of juice they like to consume is really quite frightening!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 4:27pm
Originally Posted by lau2908
they should make it like Germany and have no speed limits, that would be fun.

My car is probably most economical doing about 60 mph, averaging about 22 mpg, if i do 90-100 its alot less

withthat laugh

I average 18 mpg, using the turbo less I get 20 mpg although my dad had my car for a week last week and he reckons he was getting around 28mpg then again he works in ellesmere port so mostly motorway.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 4:40pm
The turbo noise is pretty addictive, if i used it less it would raise a little more i guess
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 4:41pm
when i had my clio 182 2.0 16v, that got more mpg but not that much more about 27 round town an say 33 on motorway, that wasnt turbo though
Posted By: AlexB Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 5:02pm
18 Ste? Jesus.

Did the Clio really average 27.

I need to start driving harder!
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 5:05pm
haha yeah but the clio 172 and 182 and the 197 and the 200 are gas guzzlers, my old 1.6 clio used to get about 40 mpg
Originally Posted by lau2908
haha yeah but the clio 172 and 182 and the 197 and the 200 are gas guzzlers, my old 1.6 clio used to get about 40 mpg

That makes sense. My 1.6 does about 48mpg up and down the motorway
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 5:48pm
Bout bloody time, Im against the autobahn system over here though as there are too many idiots to get their heads around how it actually works.
Posted By: conan Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 3rd Oct 2011 6:00pm
Ive got an 09 fiesta 1.4 diesel for work and ive noticed its unbelievably good on fuel at 55-60 mph (trip comp says 64mpg) however if i do 80mph then it drops dramatically to around 44mpg.

I get 11p a mile back so it makes sense to stay at 60 ish but its mind bogglingly boring sometimes lol.
Posted By: curious_cath Re: Motorway Speed limit to rise to 80mph - 6th Oct 2011 5:25pm
I must admit I dont think it will matter what the government put the speed limit at people will always drive how they like. Well how they feel is safe anyway!

Set it at 60mph, people will drive at 70mph, set it at 70mph people will drive at 80mph anyway.

where the 80mph limit is good is for the people who are happy to sit in the outside lane out of the way doing 75-80 which I am one of!

© Wirral-Wikiwirral