Forums
Posted By: Wench Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 1:35pm
Source

I hope the crew managed to eject in time. Thoughts are with them all sick
Posted By: Helles Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 2:28pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Source

I hope the crew managed to eject in time. Thoughts are with them all sick

There is only one but I echo your sentiments.
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 2:43pm
There's the pilot and the Circus, which I make 2 per plane. I meant as in all of the Red Arrows & support crew when I said thoughts are with them all.
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 3:16pm
That's 2 per plane for a flypast.
Posted By: Helles Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 4:32pm
What is a circus? Bearing in mind I spent two years on an RAF station and red arrows were always single seaters.
This from the BBC news story ;
'Both cockpit seats are fitted with Martin-Baker Mark 10B rocket boosted ejection seats.'
Originally Posted by Helles
Bearing in mind I spent two years on an RAF station and red arrows were always single seaters.
The Red Arrows use Hawk T1 trainer aircraft which are twin-seaters though I think they generally only have single crew for shows.

Even in the days of the Gnats, the Red Arrows used the trainer two seater version and that is going back some time.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 6:59pm
Oh dear - the Pilot didn't make it. BBC news item was just updated. (see link in OP)
RIP.
Posted By: ponytail Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 7:40pm
A full engineering investigation has been undertaken into potential faults found on the Martin-Baker Mk10B ejection seats fitted to Hawk T Mk 1 aircraft QUOTED ON 5 AUGUST 2010
http://www.armedforces-int.com/news/hawk-flight-ban-lift-sees-red-arrows-return.html
It really makes you wonder how much care is taken to routine safety in light of the accident in Crete last year. http://www.armedforces-int.com/news/raf_red_arrows_crash_updated.html
Although they look absolutely wonderful with all the acrobatic displays and smoke, how much intensive training and concentration can they take under pressure? And how much stress, even if it is not obvious, can they tolerate knowing that one slight error, whether it is theirs or a fault, can see them lose their life? I do admire them though and love watching their displays but shudder at the thought of even a slight miscalculation in their manoeuvres. Its so sad to see someone so young lose their life. Hopefully the RAF with hold a full investigation and find the cause.
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 11:19pm
We'd been told just after that it was Red 4 but didn't want to believe it. Only 4 weeks ago, I was on cloud 9 having been entertained by Jon & the rest of the Reds. I feel so sorry for Emma, his wife, as she was there watching.

It's been a hellish afternoon but nothing compared to what they must all be feeling.

RIP Jon Egging - thank you for the amazing memories. You'll never be forgotten Eggman. You flew with the best, now fly with different wings.
Posted By: amaterasu Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 11:28pm
So sad! Last time I saw them fly was in Brize Norton when they where bringing home lost boys from 'stan

RIP
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 11:32pm
Originally Posted by ponytail
A full engineering investigation has been undertaken into potential faults found on the Martin-Baker Mk10B ejection seats fitted to Hawk T Mk 1 aircraft QUOTED ON 5 AUGUST 2010
http://www.armedforces-int.com/news/hawk-flight-ban-lift-sees-red-arrows-return.html
It really makes you wonder how much care is taken to routine safety in light of the accident in Crete last year. http://www.armedforces-int.com/news/raf_red_arrows_crash_updated.html
Although they look absolutely wonderful with all the acrobatic displays and smoke, how much intensive training and concentration can they take under pressure? And how much stress, even if it is not obvious, can they tolerate knowing that one slight error, whether it is theirs or a fault, can see them lose their life? I do admire them though and love watching their displays but shudder at the thought of even a slight miscalculation in their manoeuvres. Its so sad to see someone so young lose their life. Hopefully the RAF with hold a full investigation and find the cause.

Driver error, obviously.
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 20th Aug 2011 11:38pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Originally Posted by ponytail

Driver error, obviously.

Not obviously at all!! Jon may well have given his life to make sure the Hawk didn't end up in someones house and kill them! He could have easily banged out but he steered away from residential areas. I think that shows what an amazing pilot he is/was* and moreso what kind of person he is/was*.

Best not to make assumptions until we have the facts.

* Still can't get my head round it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 12:11am
A machine like that does not fail.

R.I.Peace to the guy. He went out enjoying himself.
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 12:17am
Of course they do! Not every single mm of every single part can be checked by the mechs or circus every time they fly. There's plenty of incidents of planes and helo's failing.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 12:22am
Of course they do! Not every single mm of every single part can be checked by the mechs or circus every time they fly. There's plenty of incidents of planes and helo's failing.

No!
A driver knows his car, therefore a Pilot knows his plane, Pilot error but he enjoyed his job thus resulting in a peaceful death. smile
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 12:32am
So a car doesn't break down or cause an accident without warning on the motorway or road? Load of bollocks!! Tyres explode, engines break - I know, I've been in a car when the engine has blown and the owner was a mechanic! He checked his car religiously but something still blew! If cars and their engines didn't break down, we wouldn't need mechanics!

I'm walking away before I say something I regret. Agree to disagree. It will all come out eventually. Either way, he did fooking well to steer it away from people to keep the death count down to just the one.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 8:50am
Of course mechanical failure is an option!!!

In fact it mentioned it in one of the reports I read. He also broke formation and pulled away before crashing and it looks like he purposely tried to bring it down in a field.

RIP Jon.
Posted By: Muggy Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 9:13am
Very said loss Rip Jon. Love and light to his family and friends.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 9:57am
My uncle flys for BA, multi million pound Boeings, all planes can suffer from mechanical failure from fuel pumps failing to under carridges refusing to lock down, in flight computers going pear shaped altimeters giving false reads air speed indicators playing up the list goes on pilots are trained for these eventualitys etc, hes been with BA for at least 15 years and has told me countless stories of close calls across the board, these pilots are known as creamies as in cream of the crop, imo the pilot did very well not to plant into someones house, he could have ejected but i suspect he didn't for fear of the debris and crash killing inoccnt by standers. Take my hat of to him even more so as he'd served in Afgan sorties
So a car doesn't break down or cause an accident without warning on the motorway or road? Load of bollocks!! Tyres explode, engines break - I know, I've been in a car when the engine has blown and the owner was a mechanic! He checked his car religiously but something still blew! If cars and their engines didn't break down, we wouldn't need mechanics!

I'm walking away before I say something I regret. Agree to disagree. It will all come out eventually. Either way, he did fooking well to steer it away from people to keep the death count down to just the one.
well said! sorry for the loss a very brave man!. R.I.P.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 11:45am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14603644
How very very sad. The Red Arrows are one of the great things we have to be proud of in this country. Its such a shame that this has happened. I also think we should wait until the investigation to see what went wrong. There is no way of knowing what happened at this stage of game based on a vague news report and some crap video footage.
Wench,Obviously you are upset over this terrible accident,but your tasteless quote is quite unecessary.
Originally Posted by parkgater
Wench,Obviously you are upset over this terrible accident,but your tasteless quote is quite unecessary.
Eh?
think this was in response to another inconsiderate post.
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 3:21pm

What tasteless quote?
think its a mix up.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 3:23pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Eh?

That was my first response!
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 3:27pm
Ri dont know raggy ?
I was refering to your childish quote at the bottom of the page each time you post.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 3:36pm
Who? I'm lost, doesn't take much like
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 3:55pm
I was refering to your childish quote at the bottom of the page each time you post.

It's a signature. Most of us have them. It has nothing to do with the post at all. If you don't wish to read it, you can turn them off on your settings. Hope that clears that up.

Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 3:58pm
All becomes clear, yeah, PG, Wench is right loads of users have signature lines, its not specifically aimed at you check other post its a default message
I'd say its a very relevant "quote", most of us have been guilty at some time or other.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 4:30pm
withstupid
Yeh what's up with you? We all have a signature. You don't have to look at it.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 4:32pm
Hahaha mad head
Wench sorted out the signature thing,sorry to upset you,mr small parts.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 5:16pm
Lol laugh
Posted By: chris58 Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 5:22pm
Terrible accident. He was a friend of my nephew and his wife, both in the RAF. Such a brave man
Thanks N glad all is ok now.
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 6:17pm
Parkgater, you'll get used to the banter and this lot all meant in the best possible nature laugh
Posted By: Wench Re: Red Arrows Hawk crashes near Bournemouth :( - 21st Aug 2011 8:05pm
Wench sorted out the signature thing,sorry to upset you,mr small parts.

It didn't upset me, just baffled me. Anyone that knows me knows there is no way on earth I would say anything against them. x

Originally Posted by chris58
Terrible accident. He was a friend of my nephew and his wife, both in the RAF. Such a brave man

I knew who it was as it was just released that it'd happened as he's a friend of a friend. We sat & sobbed but didn't want to believe it. When the announcement came from the MoD I was devastated. I still can't get my head round it to be honest. I feel so sorry for Emma & the crew (red and blue) and support staff. It was his circus' first season too.

It's such a close knit community the RAF, and it's been felt right across.
such a sad loss, RIP Jon Egging.
obviously a sad loss for a lot of you guys on wiki, a sad loss for me and my family,just saw the news on tv 08.00,his poor wife being interviewed,very brave.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral