Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 10th Aug 2011 5:24pm
A rescue operation has begun after a group of people, including a number of teenagers, became trapped in a cave in North Yorkshire by rising water.

Police said the group, including eight teenagers and three adults, became trapped in Lower Long Church cave in the Ingleton area.

Officers said the group were understood to be "safe and well" but had to wait for the water to subside.

A coordination centre has been set up at Settle College.
THE BBC

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 10th Aug 2011 6:46pm
I think the beeb may have got it wrong. Should be Long Churn Cave I think. Done that trip years ago. A bit fitter (and slimmer) then !! ha.ha.
Posted By: Clive Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 10th Aug 2011 7:35pm
Young cavers are led to safety

A group of cavers, including eight teenagers, have been led to safety after becoming trapped by rising water, police said.

North Yorkshire Police were called just before 1pm following reports that 11 people had become stuck in Lower Long Churn cave, near Selside in the Ingleton area, due to rising water.

The group, which included eight teenagers and three adults from the Oldham area, had to remain in the cave until about 6pm when the water levels dropped sufficiently for rescuers to enter and bring them to safety.

"Precautionary medical checks were carried out by paramedics and all those involved were declared fit and well," a police spokesman said.

A respite centre was set up at Settle College where concerned family members gathered as they waited for the water levels to drop before the rescue effort could be carried out, the spokesman added

source
Posted By: Wench Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 10th Aug 2011 8:14pm
They're forever flooding. I used to help run a pub up there, at the bottom of Ingleborough, and we were often used as Cave Rescue base. I miss the lads from Cave Rescue!! Steve Dangerous was lush raftl
Posted By: Bluesman Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 10th Aug 2011 8:42pm
Originally Posted by Wench
They're forever flooding. I used to help run a pub up there, at the bottom of Ingleborough, and we were often used as Cave Rescue base. I miss the lads from Cave Rescue!! Steve Dangerous was lush raftl

ha ha Brilliant!! Love it.
Posted By: Jinxi Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 11th Aug 2011 12:31am
Lol if that was my ex Steve on mountain and cave rescue based in clapham
not sure i would agree he he Xx wink
Posted By: Wench Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 11th Aug 2011 6:13am
Jinxi - Approx 5' 10" - 6', bald head, penchant for Black Sheep beer, had the need to show everyone that he could get through "the wheel" in the Old Hill Inn. I think he lived out Bentham way.

I probably know you if you're his ex raftl
Posted By: Jinxi Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 11th Aug 2011 9:40pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Jinxi - Approx 5' 10" - 6', bald head, penchant for Black Sheep beer, had the need to show everyone that he could get through "the wheel" in the Old Hill Inn. I think he lived out Bentham way.

I probably know you if you're his ex raftl

Wench - Definitely not ! :-)
5'6, strawberry blonde ( yeah right), to brown hair, small man syndrome with an attitude & rather controlling/bossy!
But !!! - Flipping amazing at cave and mountain rescue ... has gorgeous collie dog called Bramble !
( amazing photographer too - got his pics framed on my wall ) x
xx
Posted By: Wench Re: Cave group trapped by water at Ingleton - 11th Aug 2011 9:55pm
I've got a photo of him in the loft I think, in amongst loads from when I was up there. If I ever locate it again, I'll give you a shout raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral