Forums
Posted By: torryman netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 2:52pm
Just thought you should know that ASDA are closing all our local Netto's down and converting them to mini ASDA's..The one in Bidston has already started winding down.

I know that they get a bad press, but for the last few years they were discounting top branded name stuff and not the poor rubbish they sold when they first opened.

The prices will all go up now... there goes the case deals on my beloved Carlsberg Lager...
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 3:17pm
your.asda.com/netto
Posted By: Snodvan Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 3:41pm
Argh - I rather like the brash and cheap/ cheerful Netto shops. I especially remember the one in Liscard some years ago. All the boxes for the "offers" were a complete mess, but it was great fun hunting though to see what knick-knacks I could find

Snod
Posted By: yewgarth Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 4:45pm
Oooooohhhh me tomato's !!
Posted By: LippyBitch Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 5:41pm
I was chatting to a member of staff in the Seacombe Netto and according to her that particular branch won't be changing to an Asda. She said it'll just close eventually. It's a shame, I love my Netto bargains.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 7:12pm
Very old news... Asda acquired Netto 18 months ago for anyone interested. The Birkenhead branch is sure to close and the workers transferred to the new Asda 100 yards away lol.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 7:26pm
Originally Posted by LippyBitch
I was chatting to a member of staff in the Seacombe Netto and according to her that particular branch won't be changing to an Asda. She said it'll just close eventually. It's a shame, I love my Netto bargains.
Not happy! frown
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 7:32pm
47 of the Nettos that aren't getting re-branded to Asda are being sold, mostly to Iceland, Morrisons or UGO(Haldanes) to avoid the Asda/Netto deal being referred to the competition commission.
Posted By: The_Monk Re: netto closing down - 2nd Aug 2011 11:34pm
Netto in Birkenhead is being turned into a George shop
Posted By: Guddok Re: netto closing down - 3rd Aug 2011 12:25am
Originally Posted by The_Monk

Only ever went in once

Smelt of death and crushed dreams
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: netto closing down - 3rd Aug 2011 6:18am
We used to make Netto pork pies in the pie factory I once worked in and there was nowt wrong with the way they were made, just the same as the others, only the wrapping was different and they were beaut. I worked at Adams in Lincolnshire.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: netto closing down - 3rd Aug 2011 2:38pm
Originally Posted by The_Monk

doubt that, they don't have stand alone Georges anymore. I heard it was going to be part of the Pyramids car park, I.E pulled down and made bigger.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 4:48pm
Seacombe Netto hasnt got much stock. Defintly 'winding down'. frown
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 5:03pm
Ive just been to netto in seacombe, its already owned by asda, but its not going to be turned into an asda, it can,t be due to the fact that asda in liscard and tescos express are less than 4 miles away from it. so unless anybody buys the building it will just stand empety. such a shame cus im moving to bell vue rd, just to the side of neto, and i was looking for ward to it becoming an asda. as thats the local buzz going around at the moment. that the seacombe netto will become an asda well it wont. the people that work in the seacombe netto will be divided out to asdas existing shops, to work, for a period of at least 3 months, this stops asda having to pay ther redundancies. girl on the till told me all this befor. Its getting quite empety in ther now. Just brought the last table and chairs set lol
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 5:18pm
I don`t see what all the fuss is about?

It`s hardly convienient standing in line waiting to pay for your items.

Whats wrong with the local shops?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 5:21pm
Overpriced.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 5:41pm
where am i going to get me crushed tins of beans now?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 5:49pm
You lot know nothing, but I CBA getting into it.

I'll miss Netto for it's hangover cheap Double Deckers.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 5:56pm
Originally Posted by yewgarth
where am i going to get me crushed tins of beans now?
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Overpriced.

hhaha crushed tin of beans

whats overpriced ?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 6:07pm
That was in reference to Ste asking whats wrong with using local shops.
Milk, for example- 99p for 4 pints at Netto or 99p for 2 pints at Singhsburys.
Are we getting a replacement store, Al?
Posted By: chriskay Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 6:40pm
Originally Posted by Nobody
You lot know nothing, but I CBA getting into it.

I spy an aberrant apostrophe.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 6:43pm
according to the girl on the till today, unless somebody buys the building it will just be empety, so lets hope that a reasonably priced supermarket take over, mind you i ca,t see how they can, with this 4 mile radius rule, unless thats just for asda having another asda within 4 mile radius of liscard. i reckon a property developer mite buy the land and build new houses.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 6:48pm
Have a look on the link on my f.b Sarah. May become a Ugo or a Co-op.
Mind you, we had nowt for years when the Kwiky first shut.
Theres also rumours of an Lidl being built adjacant to the Five Bars pub. Cant see it tho.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: netto closing down - 24th Aug 2011 9:00pm
I got told that birkenhead netto is closing on the 28th of september by one of the staff that works there
Posted By: 24424m Re: netto closing down - 25th Aug 2011 7:13am
Originally Posted by Guddo
Only ever went in once

Smelt of death and crushed dreams

That made me laugh out loud! grin
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: netto closing down - 25th Aug 2011 10:13am
Originally Posted by oscarpops
I got told that birkenhead netto is closing on the 28th of september by one of the staff that works there

sounds about right as Asda opens around Nov 7th
Posted By: A_L_K Re: netto closing down - 25th Aug 2011 10:58am

I'll miss the lovely staff who said customers smelt. haha
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 26th Aug 2011 10:27am
Originally Posted by lalaland

I'll miss the lovely staff who said customers smelt. haha

She wasn't wrong though!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 5th Sep 2011 8:53pm
Latest 'rumour': heard by Plusone. The person in front of him in the queue was chatting to the loveley cashier, Audrey- the store has been bought by Morrisons!!
They won't last long, i feel but Singsburys prices will 'give us a reason to shop at Morrisons'!!?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 5th Sep 2011 9:13pm
Latest 'rumour': heard by Plusone. The person in front of him in the queue was chatting to the loveley cashier, Audrey- the store has been bought by Morrisons!!
They won't last long, i feel but Singsburys prices will 'give us a reason to shop at Morrisons'!!?

I was in there about 19:55 tonight and I heard Audrey say 'Morrisons' but I thought she was talking about where she was going to work after the shut down. I really hope someone takes it over instead of leaving the, relatively, new building to stand there and rot like the nightclub next door.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 5th Sep 2011 9:29pm
Plus says 'NO'. At 1805 the bushy headed Bint was overheard....
Just want a local store for the day to day stuff like Milk and Bread!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 7:32am
Ye right am sure they would, that place is well to small for Morrisons..more like nice price or something like that. also with the new Morrisons opening in newbrighton, all the money they are spending in newbrighton they will want you to go down to that one.. The old netto and that place (forgot what it was called) over the road from the pa will all be knocked down I bet just like the ferry pub did, and more smackhead flats will be put ther....
Posted By: Handbag Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 3:05pm
I was told by a member off staff only a couple of days ago that the Netto was closing down at that it was to be converted to a Morrisons. I was told that all but the Managers would be keeping their jobs.

I liked having Netto there, really handy place to go for milk and butties on my way up to the allotment! I hope Morrisons do nice butties!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 3:09pm
Originally Posted by Frog_Eyes
Ye right am sure they would, that place is well to small for Morrisons..more like nice price or something like that. also with the new Morrisons opening in newbrighton, all the money they are spending in newbrighton they will want you to go down to that one.. The old netto and that place (forgot what it was called) over the road from the pa will all be knocked down I bet just like the ferry pub did, and more smackhead flats will be put ther....

If you are talking about the club, it was the Riverside.
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 3:12pm
I have also heard on the grapevine, that yes all Netto's have been bought by Asda - however not all of them are being converted into such.

the one in bidston is now an asda. the one in seacombe that is due to close shortly is going to be a morrisons...

but thats what i have heard, not sure whether it's the truth...
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 3:20pm
Have a look on the link on my f.b Sarah. May become a Ugo or a Co-op.
Mind you, we had nowt for years when the Kwiky first shut.
Theres also rumours of an Lidl being built adjacant to the Five Bars pub. Cant see it tho.

yay were going up in the world, excitement levels are rising. pity we couldnt get a nice big tesco. u no were gettin an aldi or simular!!!
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 3:21pm
by the five bars its meant to be a morrisons..
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 3:27pm
seems strange its that, with regards to the new brighton development, be happy if it is tho.
Posted By: arwen444 Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 3:56pm
it is going to be a morrisons express type shop like the tescos express
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 4:46pm

Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Originally Posted by Frog_Eyes

If you are talking about the club, it was the Riverside.

That's the one, confused

Originally Posted by HistoricalTony
seems strange its that, with regards to the new brighton development, be happy if it is tho.

withthat

Originally Posted by arwen444
it is going to be a morrisons express type shop like the tescos express

That explains it then, can't seeing it lasting to be honest..
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: netto closing down - 6th Sep 2011 9:59pm
the little Morrisons have higher prices though then the bigger stores, unlike Asda Supermarket which prices are the same as the Superstores.
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 7:57pm
Getting aquainted with singsburys, for the topping up my electric key, hate the dam thing, give me a normal meter any day. well im just getting used to the 2 big bottles of milk from netto for £1.80, think thats brill, doubt they will be that cheep at morrisons. but at least it give seacombe another dimension, i think of morrisons as being a posh shoppers supermarket. i can now say i live at the side of morrisons, sounds more upmarket than netto lol. I wish somebody would do something with that eyesore of a building at the bottom of my road, or pull it down. its stood derelict for years, how sad
Posted By: JellyStar Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 8:14pm
you're all wrong it's going to be a Marks and Spencer!!:D
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 8:25pm
I was in the new asda by Birkhead North Train station today. When did it open and the netto there close down?? Im sure it was still a netto, the last time I was down that way and that was about 3 weeks ago, Im sure
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 8:37pm
No milk in Netto today!! frown Singsburys must be buzzing. They are lovely people so i dont mind lining their pockets-short term.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 8:40pm
Yes, Sarah. Its an eyesore. Why have they knocked out all the upper floor windows?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 8:44pm
Used to be owned by the Labour Party!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:01pm
I remember taking my son there for boxing lessons. And around 1999 me and Plus went there with enough money for one drink each 'safe' in the knowledge he would win the Karaoke competition. He did, we took the £50 prize money and went elsewhere. grin
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:09pm
Aww bless Plus,what did he sing?
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:11pm
Hi Sarah I was in Singsbury`s today, only popped in for milk ,I bought some fab xmas wrapping paper for £1 a roll .He said he had just bought it in today not your normal cheap stuff either
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:23pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Aww bless Plus,what did he sing?
Haha Bezzy-it was 12 years ago!! Possibly 'Father Figure'-he has got that song nailed.
Or 'in the air tonight' Phil Collins. He won us a holiday in Blackpool Pontins-half board- with that performance!! Haha x
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:24pm
Good god,he's a star! Lol
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:26pm
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
Hi Sarah I was in Singsbury`s today, only popped in for milk ,I bought some fab xmas wrapping paper for £1 a roll .He said he had just bought it in today not your normal cheap stuff either
Have you moved now Sarah? May see you going wild in the aisles, very soon?! grin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:28pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Good god,he's a star! Lol

I've heard him sing, he would give that lot on xfactor a bloody good run for their money. He is GOOD!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:36pm
Back in the day, when the Netto was a Kwik Save-does anybody remember the 'grand' re-launch'. Peter Barlow was there. I got his autograph. Plus still calls me a "sad bitch" over that. Haha
Then when Kwiky become a Netto, they held an open evening the night before 'open day', i was there with the rest of the chavs and ate/ drank 'samples' of Netto food. Was full up! wink
Wonder whether Morrisons will 'beat that' then. Hmmm.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 9:53pm
Originally Posted by sarahdavo
I wish somebody would do something with that eyesore of a building at the bottom of my road, or pull it down. its stood derelict for years, how sad

That could be any building in Seacombe.......I'll get me coat! seeyu
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 10:14pm
Originally Posted by TudorBlue
I was in the new asda by Birkhead North Train station today. When did it open and the netto there close down?? Im sure it was still a netto, the last time I was down that way and that was about 3 weeks ago, Im sure

they take about 2 weeks to covert, I think that one opened on Monday.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 7th Sep 2011 10:15pm
Originally Posted by DodgyDave
they take about 2 weeks to covert, I think that one opened on Monday.

Last Wednesday.
Posted By: happy Re: netto closing down - 9th Sep 2011 9:42pm
i was told that asda bought them all but fair trading have said they have to sell 50 and told them what 50 they had to sell. morrisons have put in an offer and its been excepted but the fair trading need to pass it first, thats what netto staff said anyways before smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: netto closing down - 10th Sep 2011 1:26am
Originally Posted by happy
i was told that asda bought them all but fair trading have said they have to sell 50 and told them what 50 they had to sell. morrisons have put in an offer and its been excepted but the fair trading need to pass it first, thats what netto staff said anyways before smile
Its pretty close to the facts, they had to "unload" 47 of the stores to AVOID it being referred to the competition commission.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: netto closing down - 11th Sep 2011 9:39pm
Confirmation that Seacombe Netto is to be a Morrisons. Loads of signs up in store today telling all that the Netto will close on 30th September to make way for a shiny new Morrisons. Their words, not mine.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: netto closing down - 11th Sep 2011 11:04pm
Popped in the new Asda on the North end today, not a bad little shop, love the way it says on Netto's website that Birkenhead will close on 30th and become a Asda Supermarket lol whoops.
Posted By: mrsmonroe Re: netto closing down - 13th Sep 2011 8:46pm
Originally Posted by DodgyDave
Popped in the new Asda on the North end today, not a bad little shop, love the way it says on Netto's website that Birkenhead will close on 30th and become a Asda Supermarket lol whoops.

No the staff are moving to the new Asda site in B/head as it has taken over. But we all want to know what will become of the site? maybe a car park someone said?

Posted By: DodgyDave Re: netto closing down - 13th Sep 2011 8:50pm
Yeah I l know the Netto staff are moving to the new store but online it says the old store will become a "ASDA Supermarket" aka a mini Asda not a Superstore.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral