Forums
Posted By: MissGuided If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 8:41am
...you can't belong in Britain. A fair assumption or racial discrimination?

Article in The Telegraph

Australia requires applicants for work visas to have “vocational English”, which means they must be able to read, write, understand and speak English well enough to hold down a job. Applicants may be required to take an independent test of proficiency. Canada requires proficiency in either English or French, and also requires applicants to take a language test from an approved agency.

Posted By: StuyMac Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 8:44am
I think immigrants need more than just a grasp of the language if we are to let them in the country.....

...something useful maybe, certain medical qualifications and the likes.

Posted By: Silverback Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 9:50am
Obviously racially discriminating.

As is anything aimed at immigration from non english speaking regions.

All who have been refused entry previously for these reasons should be recalled to the country.

As compensation for such hidious treatment they should be given a house.

Disability living allowance, not being able to speak or read the language must surely be a disability, especially if you're an immigrant as well.

Mobility car, fitted with satnav with their own language pack.

Freedom from prosecution for any crime, If they can't understand the language, how can they be expected to understand the laws.

Anything I've missed I'm sure there are enough scummy, money grabbing human rights lawyers out there willing to add to the list for a fee!

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:06am
Ban them all and give our own population the jobs they are taking mad

Sick of this discrimination talk and I'm sick of company's walking on eggshells because it it.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:18am
Yes it should be done here,vocational english should be a must.
Enough said before i start ranting!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:19am
I think its vital because language is what brings us together - its communication ffs! I know we don't have a very good track record in this country for learning other country's languages. Let's face it Modern Foreign Languages have dwindled in importance in secondary schools (only just being brought back into necessity by means of the new English Baccalaureate). I digress, I think you need to know basics like 'Help' and 'Fire' and 'Where is the airport?' etc. How do you handle an emergency if you cannot manage the language?
Posted By: poodlepup Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:24am
Even second generation immigrants,born here are not speaking english,its a disgrace!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:39am
Ban them all and their stupid religions!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:50am
Yerr all religions!!!!
Posted By: yewgarth Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:50am
withthat
Posted By: yewgarth Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:52am
Je pense que chacun devrait avoir à parler l'anglais ou avoir une connaissance de base de l'anglais avant qu'ils ne soient autorisés nulle part à proximité du pays. Cela inclut les centres d'appels indiens et les Gallois
Posted By: sean Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 10:59am
withthat
Posted By: reddragon Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 11:19am
avez vous a cuppa
Posted By: Teardrop Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 11:31am
The thing is if they spoke english how many of us would talk to them anyway?

People are scared of new things, you say Ban them all and their stupid religions, but look at N-Ireland they've got the same religions that we have got but can't stand each other, people said the same thing when they saw black people move in to the uk, look at any 60/70s shows on the bbc eg (Love Thy Neighbour) even only fools and horses the other day taking the wee out of an asian man,

try this the farther you go the more english you become raftl

don't get my wrong like someone said on here they should know english so they can call the police and to get by in life.

who hates a person in there street?
who hates a person in the next road?
who here doesn't like liverpool the place?
who here doesn't like manchester ?
now london
where do we draw the line? smile

sorry just playing The Devil's Advocate wink

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 11:53am
Speak for yourself darlin, I ain't got no religion wink
Posted By: Becky02 Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 12:55pm
So true Teardrop.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 1:04pm
If you can't speak English then what use are you in a job over here? If you can't hold down a job then you become yet another leach.
Posted By: frogger Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 1:16pm
I know what you mean Nobody but, how many chippy's do you know where the people in the back don't speak English they have jobs, same with cleaners many don't speak english, cheap workers.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 1:19pm
If they have a guaranteed job to come to and the employer is willing to 'sponsor' them in a similar way to how Australia works, or if they can demonstrate sufficient monies in their account etc. then fine, I guess. If they can support themselves...
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 8:42pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
Yes it should be done here,vocational english should be a must.
Enough said before i start ranting!

I don't recall my friends who emigrated to live in Crete having to have a working knowledge of the language, though they have picked it up since.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 8:52pm
Reminds me of a question - Which country has the most English speaking population?

Answer ...

There are more people in China that speak English than any other country!
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: If you don't speak English... - 28th Jul 2011 8:53pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Reminds me of a question - Which country has the most English speaking population?

Answer ...

There are more people in China that speak English than any other country!

Lol
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: If you don't speak English... - 2nd Aug 2011 10:15am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
I think immigrants need more than just a grasp of the language if we are to let them in the country.....

...something useful maybe, certain medical qualifications and the likes.

There is a programme at noon today on Radio 4 on this topic
© Wirral-Wikiwirral