Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Seve Ballesteros dies at 54 - 7th May 2011 10:26am
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BBC News
Seve Ballesteros, one of golf's most gifted and charismatic players, has died after a long battle with cancer.

The 54-year-old passed away surrounded by his family at his home in Pedrena, northern Spain, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Ballesteros was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2008 after losing consciousness at Madrid Airport.

The five-time major winner had four operations to remove the tumour as well as undergoing chemotherapy.

Full Story
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seve Ballesteros dies at 54 - 7th May 2011 10:32am
Another sporting great gone. Rest in Peace.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Seve Ballesteros dies at 54 - 7th May 2011 11:15am
Rest In Peace
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Seve Ballesteros dies at 54 - 7th May 2011 2:19pm
One bloody good golfer who didn't have his head stuck half way up his own jacksie. A gentleman. RIP Sevvy.
Posted By: Helles Re: Seve Ballesteros dies at 54 - 7th May 2011 7:17pm
Did he have a brother who was also a golfer? Back in 1975 I think it was, we radio operators were loaned to Yorkshire TV to radio the scores back from each hole at the Dunlop Masters held at Ganton near Scarborough.

I remember Seve but he wasnt yet so well known then and I am sure he had a brother playing in the same event or am I just getting old?

He was a gent though. RIP.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Seve Ballesteros dies at 54 - 7th May 2011 8:06pm
Correct Helles, Googled

Ballesteros was born in Pedreña, Cantabria, Spain. He learned the game while playing on the beaches near his home, at the time while he was supposed to be in school, mainly using a 3-iron given to him by one of his older brothers. His uncle Ramón Sota was Spanish professional champion four times and finished sixth in The Masters in 1965.[1] Severiano's older brother Manuel finished in the top 100 on the European Tour order of merit every year from 1972 to 1983, and later became Severiano's manager. Brothers Vicente and Baldomero, and nephew Raúl are also professional golfers
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Seve Ballesteros dies at 54 - 7th May 2011 8:08pm
Ditto
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
One bloody good golfer who didn't have his head stuck half way up his own jacksie. A gentleman. RIP Sevvy.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral