withthat

RIP either way frown
Posted By: Sanchez Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 9:23pm
He was a boxer jase!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 9:26pm
R.I.P frown how did he die?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 9:29pm
Biography

Cooper was born in South East London. He and his identical twin brother, George, grew up in a council house on the Bellingham Estate on Farmstead Road, South East London, although during the Second World War they were evacuated to Lancing on the Sussex coast.

Around 1942, their father, Henry Senior was called up to serve in the war; the rest of the family did not see him again for almost three years. The twins attended Athelney Road School in Lewisham. The Cooper brothers were particularly close growing up and, in his biography, Henry talks of how they came to each other's aid when things turned nasty in the school playground. One particular incident landed the young Henry his first knockout in the playground. At school, the only subject that seemed to interest Henry was history, where he enjoyed acting out scenarios.[citation needed]

Life was tough in the latter years of the Second World War, and London life especially brought many dangers during the blackout. Henry took up many jobs, including a paper round before school and made money out of recycling golf balls to the clubhouse on the Beckenham course. All three of the Cooper brothers excelled in sport, with George and Henry exercising talents particularly in football and also cricket.[3]

George Cooper, Henry's twin, died on 11 April 2010 at the age of 75.

Henry Cooper is best known for knocking down Muhammad Ali. However he defeated a string of well known heavyweights during his career, including; Zora Folley, Roy Harris, Karl Mildenberger, Alex Miteff, Wayne Bethea, Brian London, Joe Erskine, Jose Manuel Urtain, Piero Tomasoni, Dick Wipperman, Dick Richardson, Billy Walker, Tony Hughes, Jack Bodell, Jefferson Davis and Gawie De Clerk. He died on the 1st of May 2011.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 9:31pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
He was a boxer jase!

Just done a search on the net. smile that's one boxer I have not heard of. Mad.

R,I,P
Posted By: TheDr Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 10:12pm
Originally Posted by _jase_
Originally Posted by Sanchez
He was a boxer jase!

Just done a search on the net. smile that's one boxer I have not heard of. Mad.

R,I,P

I remember him boxing and later always seeming to be around when 'arry Carpenter was interviewing Bruno, he didn't lose it like a lot of boxers seemed to, he got out whilst he still had most of his marbles in the bag...... and then went on to advertise "The Great Smell of BRUT" (aftershave smile )

We all go in the end, just as you get older there seems to be more...
Posted By: poodlepup Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 10:28pm
Sad news,RIP Sir Henry Cooper.
Posted By: Brass Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 10:48pm
RIP Sir Henry Cooper
Posted By: StuyMac Re: rip henry cooper - 1st May 2011 11:54pm
RIP
Posted By: poodlepup Re: rip henry cooper - 2nd May 2011 1:22am
Topic title needs to be changed,the Sir is missing.
Posted By: davaw1 Re: rip henry cooper - 2nd May 2011 2:29am
RIP to a legend that should of beaten Muhammed Ali but was cheated out of the fight.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral