Forums
Posted By: brady petrol down 1p a litre - 23rd Mar 2011 7:43pm
What a joke, he puts petrol up 3p a litre 3 weeks ago and knocks a penny off in the budget the cheating bas**rd

THE BBC
Posted By: hoseman Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 23rd Mar 2011 8:12pm
1 Fooking penny, not worth the hot air from the lying cheating political gob!!!
Why bother?? somad
Posted By: johncon Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 23rd Mar 2011 8:13pm
taken it off at the pumps but taxed the oil companies to compensate they will just put it back on their end !!!!!!!!!!
thumbsdown
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 23rd Mar 2011 8:53pm
dunnoGood News!!!
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 23rd Mar 2011 9:49pm
I think the petrol places knew this, most put a 1p price rise this morning, clever or cheating bar stewards???
Posted By: DavidB Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 23rd Mar 2011 10:25pm
Loads have done it, changed the signs, and then will change them back tomorrow.
I'm sure someone will be on to say how this is somehow a good thing.

1p really doesn't matter, who buys 1 litre of fuel anyway - you can't even buy a litre. It's like taxing ciggies, but raising it per cigarette.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 7:48am
pathetic, like thats a saving for anyone

this government needs hanging form a high jibb
Posted By: MattLFC Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 8:20am
Firstly, its an effective 6p per litre duty cut, since according to the old Labour system, it should have gone up 1p above inflation next week, which would have mean an extra 5p per litre.

Fuel was never put up by 3p per litre 3 weeks ago, it was increased by 1p per litre in January and that it is. VAT was increased to 20%, but for those with sense or an understanding of the EU VAT system, you will understand that there is a fundamental reason for this, and that is due to the fact each member state is only allowed 3 levels of VAT, with the UK choosing to utilize 0%, 6% and 20%. Considering how Darling has said a rise to 20% was a serious possibility, even a sniff of likelyhood to is, under a Brown-Darling government, then I fail to see any difference. In reality, we all know it would have gone up to 20% regrdless of government, given the financial shit were in.

This government, is the first in 18 years, to indefinately suspend the fuel duty escalator, unless oil prices return to a reasonable level. I didnt see Labour put an end to it - in fact, they increased the escalator to 6% the minute they got into power!

As always, its easy for those in opposition to critisize, because they don't need to have a credible or viable plan themselves. Millibpede and Balls-Brown were wrongfooted by the government yesterday, and stuggled to make a single comment relating to the 1p reduction, nevermind the suspension of the fuel escalator. - they obviously hadnt thought of it themselves.

And I take it all the above posters in this thread, won't be moaning about the cuts when they come in, since you all want to cut the tax revenue supply rather than pay for public services??

And for those that don't know or are politcally unaware, on of the fundamentals of Conservative ideology is low taxation, if any government is likely to lower your tax levels, it is a Conservative/Conservative-led government, not a Labour government.

Personally, id like fuel to hit £2.00 per litre, because it would force all the peasents off the road, and leave them nice and clear for me to use!! Selfish I know, but ive actually noticed a fair drop in traffic locally, in recent weeks! I eagerly await for the day when the roads are as quiet as they are in 60's TV programmes lol.

Anyway, these high fuel prices are helping everyone to be more green (whatever haha, but it keeps the green brigade happy).
Posted By: Sanchez Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 9:47am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Firstly, its an effective 6p per litre duty cut, since according to the old Labour system, it should have gone up 1p above inflation next week, which would have mean an extra 5p per litre.

Fuel was never put up by 3p per litre 3 weeks ago, it was increased by 1p per litre in January and that it is. VAT was increased to 20%, but for those with sense or an understanding of the EU VAT system, you will understand that there is a fundamental reason for this, and that is due to the fact each member state is only allowed 3 levels of VAT, with the UK choosing to utilize 0%, 6% and 20%. Considering how Darling has said a rise to 20% was a serious possibility, even a sniff of likelyhood to is, under a Brown-Darling government, then I fail to see any difference. In reality, we all know it would have gone up to 20% regrdless of government, given the financial shit were in.

This government, is the first in 18 years, to indefinately suspend the fuel duty escalator, unless oil prices return to a reasonable level. I didnt see Labour put an end to it - in fact, they increased the escalator to 6% the minute they got into power!

As always, its easy for those in opposition to critisize, because they don't need to have a credible or viable plan themselves. Millibpede and Balls-Brown were wrongfooted by the government yesterday, and stuggled to make a single comment relating to the 1p reduction, nevermind the suspension of the fuel escalator. - they obviously hadnt thought of it themselves.

And I take it all the above posters in this thread, won't be moaning about the cuts when they come in, since you all want to cut the tax revenue supply rather than pay for public services??

And for those that don't know or are politcally unaware, on of the fundamentals of Conservative ideology is low taxation, if any government is likely to lower your tax levels, it is a Conservative/Conservative-led government, not a Labour government.

Personally, id like fuel to hit £2.00 per litre, because it would force all the peasents off the road, and leave them nice and clear for me to use!! Selfish I know, but ive actually noticed a fair drop in traffic locally, in recent weeks! I eagerly await for the day when the roads are as quiet as they are in 60's TV programmes lol.

Anyway, these high fuel prices are helping everyone to be more green (whatever haha, but it keeps the green brigade happy).

It would be nice to see the number of cars drop agreed. But come on matt. If fuel hit £2 you know as well as I do the bigger picture would be food costs shooting up, resulting in empty super markets (NO pheasants with trollies wink ), resulting in mass starvation. This what u want bud?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 10:13am
Whilst being unhappy about the price per litre, I do take some consolation from the prices around Europe. We also have one of the lowest prices in the UK due to our location near Stanlow(?), as the average UK petrol price is £1.32.9 and we are below that.

Here are some other european fuel prices as a comparison.

(Source - AA's monthly report - March 2011)

Country, Petrol/l, Diesel/l

Belgium 131.05 119.15
Denmark 144.51 132.63
Finland 139.05 118.71
France 136.87 126.45
Germany 140.09 125.23
Greece 138.44 120.88
Netherlands 145.92 122.22
Ireland 125.58 120.36
Italy 133.05 123.49
Luxembourg 113.93 104.11
Estonia 108.80 113.58
Norway9 157.26 150.66
Portugal 133.14 119.49
Spain 114.71 112.98
Sweden 134.16 136.66
Switzerland 122.25 131.18
USA 58.37 63.95

Still unsure why our Derv is more than petrol though, when it is consistantly lower over the rest of europe think

Maybe this doesnt justify why the price here is so high, but in comparison, we are quite lucky frown
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 3:05pm
That's fine but it is even cheaper in Bahrain. At the end of the day whether it's petrol, food or any other commodity they will take off us as much as we are willing to pay and then bring the prices down when nobody pays. Remember an article from a bloke who wrote that his company would love to charge cheaper prices for golf clubs but if they did charge lower prices then golfers wouldn't pay for them because they would think they were crap, ergo, they have to keep the prices up. Funny thing the human condition.

Either way we have to get out of the crap that Mr Brown and Mr Balls left us in.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 3:08pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
That's fine but it is even cheaper in Bahrain. At the end of the day whether it's petrol, food or any other commodity they will take off us as much as we are willing to pay and then bring the prices down when nobody pays. Remember an article from a bloke who wrote that his company would love to charge cheaper prices for golf clubs but if they did charge lower prices then golfers wouldn't pay for them because they would think they were crap, ergo, they have to keep the prices up. Funny thing the human condition.

Either way we have to get out of the crap that Mr Brown and Mr Balls left us in.

So true bud.
Posted By: DavidB Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 6:00pm
Firstly, .

Both are as bad as each other at managing money in this country, so it's really no good bringing up a Labour vs Conservative argument, it's in the hands of the current government to try to do something about it. If only they would.
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 6:19pm
My mate lives and works in Qatar. He put on his facebook last week "robbing b@stards have put the petrol prices up I'm now paying 17p a litre!!"
Posted By: StuyMac Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 24th Mar 2011 7:03pm
He probably drills it out from under his garden raftl
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 25th Mar 2011 11:34am
Originally Posted by DavidB
Firstly, .

Both are as bad as each other at managing money in this country, so it's really no good bringing up a Labour vs Conservative argument, it's in the hands of the current government to try to do something about it. If only they would.

Put it closer to home then - let's just say that you work hard get a bit put by and then have to go away for a while, you come back and the missus who was left in charge has not only spent what you had saved but has also built up a considerable debt burden. You realise that you are going to have to do without for quite a while and do quite a bit of overtime into the bargain to pay off the debt and try and get your savings back up. Because of this everyone in the family has to do without the usual little luxuries until its sorted. Then explain to the kids and the missus why this has all come about and insist that this is how it is going to be. Who is going to get the blame for the austerity measures, you or your missus? Indeed, who would you blame?

fight
Posted By: DavidB Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 25th Mar 2011 11:37am
I think it's a bit more complex and incestuous than that.
Whenever someone asks a politician what they're going to do about a problem, the reply is 'well, it's the fault of the previous government'. Does anyone get a bit sick of hearing this line?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: petrol down 1p a litre - 25th Mar 2011 11:51am
It's just an analogy David but you have to use your own nous as well and then judge for yourself. The answer to it all I wouldn't have a clue, somebody has to run things.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral