http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPmw3OVQMo&feature=player_embedded
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 8:30am
would cr*p myself if that happened!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 8:39am
Did the cars horn stop working think
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 8:40am
Did the cars horn stop working think
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 12:13pm
There is a story about this on the Sky News site.
Posted By: raymondo Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 11:18pm
gone
now
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 11:25pm
Originally Posted by raymondo
gone
now

Search more, lol, what a buzz that must of been grin Who needs banger racing eh??? laugh

[youtube]lze88sU9IGg[/youtube]

Hmmm think i thought lorrys were meant to stick to the left lane??
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 11:41pm
Yeah a real buzz if the damn car flipped over eh Ste
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Lorry not see car???? - 18th Mar 2010 11:54pm
Originally Posted by bobi1
Yeah a real buzz if the damn car flipped over eh Ste

yeah man, good way to die grin

better than being stabbed or shot wink
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Lorry not see car???? - 19th Mar 2010 12:01am
Rather you than me.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Lorry not see car???? - 19th Mar 2010 1:09am
Yeah, well thats me, i don`t give a f**K

The peeps involved were ok so alls well.

If i were to snuff it. this would be a cool way wink

Ha ha harrrrrrrrrr smirk
Posted By: bert1 Re: Lorry not see car???? - 19th Mar 2010 6:15am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Yeah, well thats me, i don`t give a f**K

The peeps involved were ok so alls well.

If i were to snuff it. this would be a cool way wink

Ha ha harrrrrrrrrr smirk

Yeah, and if it was a refrigerated lorry, it would be even cooler. seeyu
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Lorry not see car???? - 19th Mar 2010 9:57am
Have you thought about joining the Army Ste. Lots of buzzy ways to cop for one there, more brown adrenalin than you could handle I think.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Lorry not see car???? - 19th Mar 2010 8:55pm
i did something similar in work about 15 years ago but in reverse.i was loading one of the wagons in the yard and went off to get something,came back and jumped in the wagon to reverse over to another area,did not realise that a mini had parked right behind me whilst i had gone..pushed it about 10 feet and then squashed it in to a large stack of concrete bricks.the driver had only come in to buy a box of screws lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Lorry not see car???? - 12th May 2010 1:13am
I witnessed an incident like this video a couple of months ago - albeit at a slower speed and the lorry driver soon realised something was wrong.

The video is very suspicious, I can't see the car tyres surviving that for long, even in the wet. I would expect a LOT of smoke from the tyres and eventually loads of sparks from the wheels.

I am wondering if the incident and the video are really related.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Lorry not see car???? - 12th May 2010 2:30am
I thought it was a bit suss as well at first, surely the driver would have been on the horn or pulled ahead of the lorry flashing his hazards to try and slow him down, rather than keep pace so it can be videoed...however..

A few nights after this video became popular I saw an interview on the news with the "owner" of the lorry firm (the name is quite clearly displayed on the side), he said that they knew of the incident but didn't realise how serious it was and that now the video had been brought to their attention the driver had been suspended pending further enquiries, so I'm tempted to believe it is probably genuine.

Tyres, now part of it would depend on the type, the water disperal of the tread is designed for a forward rotation (you will see many tyres have a direction of travel arrow)so a sideways force applied to the vehicle would (depending on the tread) cause a flow of water under the tyre resulting in a lift or aquaplane, so it is likely that the tyres could have withstood this for some time, having a relatively low level of resistance and the water itself reducing the temprature.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Lorry not see car???? - 26th May 2010 4:26pm
YouTube lorry shunt driver keeps licence

A lorry driver who was shown on YouTube driving along a motorway with a car trapped in front of his cab has been told he can keep his licence.

The footage showed a Renault Clio being pushed at high speed along the A1(M), near Wetherby, Yorkshire, in January.

The lorry driver, John Tomlinson from Lancashire, appeared before North West Traffic Commissioner Beverley Bell.

She told him he could retain his LGV driving licence because he could not see, hear or smell the car.

At the hearing at the Traffic Area Office in Warrington, Cheshire, Ms Bell praised Mr Tomlinson's coolness and "clear head" on discovering the Clio attached to his lorry.

Sean Joyce, Mr Tomlinson's solicitor, told the hearing how Clio driver Rhona Jane Williams was joining the southbound carriageway of the A1 (M) at junction 44 when the incident happened at around 0830 BST on 13 January.

The slip road joins the middle lane of the motorway, so she was effectively undertaking the 44-tonne tanker, Mr Joyce said.

Ms Williams, a vet from York, told police she felt a "bump" as the vehicles came together and her car pivoted 90 degrees.

Unaware of the incident, Mr Tomlinson continued driving until a motorist began flashing his hazard lights.

Mr Tomlinson, from Clitheroe, brought his lorry to a stop on the hard shoulder and only became aware of Ms Williams in the Clio when he got out of his vehicle.

'Indescribable' pressure

He tried to free her but the door was jammed so he reversed his tanker about 3ft (91cm) to release the car. Neither driver was injured.

Ms Bell told Mr Tomlinson: "It is absolutely clear that you could not see the Clio as you were driving.

John Tomlinson said the pressure of the investigation was "indescribable" "What you found when you pulled into the hard shoulder must have come as a complete shock and I think what you did, in reversing your tanker to release the Clio, was of huge credit to you.

"You showed, in my view, coolness and a clear head.

"I feel it is entirely inappropriate for me to take away your licence.

"You, your employers and the haulage industry should be able to hold your heads up high after this incident."

Ms Bell added that the case illustrated the dangers of lorry blind spots and urged firms to install close proximity mirrors on older vehicles. It is now law for them to be installed in new lorries, she said.

After the hearing, Mr Tomlinson, a lorry driver for 29 years, appeared close to tears and said the pressure of the investigation was "indescribable".

His solicitor added: "This incident was, as they say, a freak of nature and purely accidental."

Video footage of the incident was captured on a mobile phone by a passenger in a passing car and has attracted more than half a million views since it was uploaded to YouTube last February.

West Yorkshire Police investigated the incident but took no further action against Mr Tomlinson following advice from the Crown Prosecution Service.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Lorry not see car???? - 26th May 2010 11:11pm
Sorry all, need to quote source, my fault

BBC News
© Wirral-Wikiwirral