Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 12:06pm
Originally Posted by Telegraph
Sainsbury's is to start selling milk in a bag in all of its supermarkets in an attempt to cut down on plastic packaging.

Instead of picking up their milk in a plastic bottle, customers will be encouraged to pop a bag of the liquid into their trolley.

Using 75 per cent less packaging, the bags cost slightly less than the bottles. A two pint milk bag – the only size available – costs 80p, compared with 86p for the same size bottle.

Full Story
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 12:09pm
wont the bag be prone to bursting in the trolley ? from sharp edges of say the supernoodles packets and other stuff ?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 12:11pm
Im pretty sure the bags will be as robust, if not more so, than the plastic bottles.

Im sure I remember having milk in bags before though, maybe 15-20 years ago think
Posted By: bert1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 12:19pm
Bore you with this [youtube]VTPgd4HUk4w[/youtube]
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 12:23pm
Milk Jugs think [Linked Image] raftl

...seriously though, I remember milk in a bag and using a jug in that manner to pour it...
Posted By: bert1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 12:27pm
Milk is better in a bottle, and i thought the idea was to rid the planet of plastic bags or were doomed. shocked
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 12:28pm
didnt know u were canadian stuy lad. lol
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 1:20pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Milk Jugs think [Linked Image] raftl

...seriously though, I remember milk in a bag and using a jug in that manner to pour it...

withthat
Posted By: bert1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 1:39pm
Having always had a milk man deliver i don't recall milk in plastic bags, however, a piece of useless information, there was a milk bottle shortage around 1940-41, questions were raised in government, was there another bottle shortage that made them use plastic bags since.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 2:11pm
Its odd, its all to do with recycling.

When we had milk delivered, the packaging was alwaysrecycled!

Out of interest, how much is a pint of milk when its delivered?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 25th Feb 2010 5:46pm
off our milkman, it works out 58p a pint.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 12:38am
not too bad then Bert, I mainly buy Gold Top but also Tesco Organic Whole if im a bit skint and thats similar price to 58p a pint, two pints are about £1 odd. The milkman wouldnt deliver to me because im in flats, if I had a house, at that price, I would probably consider it to show support for the local milkmen who are struggling more and more.

Milk in bags has been available in many other countries for years, I watched a Tonight recycling programme last year and they were saying about it coming soon, but they did mention many drawbacks, both enviromentally and practicality wise. Personally I will be sticking to cartons.

Interestingly, a bag of milk should be cheaper to produce the packaging by a couple of pence, I bet the retail prices dont reflect this - as always, its an increase profit excercise portrayed as being an enviromental scheme.

If they really care about the enviroment, why do all their products have so much packaging, why do they have open fridges and freezers, and why don't they turn the air-con and lighting down a touch?

One thing I have always wondered with milk, is why watered down milk (ie. skimmed and semi-skimmed) is always the same price as whole milk... if I were in a bar and ordered a whisky, knowing it had been watered down, I wouldnt expect to pay the same price.

wink
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 12:47am
The only milk you could get in the corner shops of the north of Scotland were in those bags decades ago. I remember fondly fondling the bags on my way home from the shops-just had to remember not to turn the whole stuff into curds lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 1:23am
That explains a lot to be honest.

laugh
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 1:28am
offtopic
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 1:31am
Like staying on-topic ever mattered to a troll?

raftl

Would you care to explain to the fine people of Wikiwirral why you feel it was off-topic? It was, after-all, in direct reference to your post previous to it. So either your original post was off-topic or...
Posted By: bobi1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 1:39am
Yawn
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 1:41am
offtopic
Posted By: bert1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 7:10am
Originally Posted by MattLFC

One thing I have always wondered with milk, is why watered down milk (ie. skimmed and semi-skimmed) is always the same price as whole milk... if I were in a bar and ordered a whisky, knowing it had been watered down, I wouldnt expect to pay the same price.

wink

I was in a bar once and got a whiskey, and when asking the barmen for water his reply was "don't worry you won't need it", which spoke volumes. Anyway that's another story. Its always annoyed me that when anything is deemed healthier for you, regardless of possible lower production costs, it always cost more over the counter. When all food stuffs were organic and they started putting chemicals in and on them, the cost went up to pay for such additives, now that there going back to organic, they have made them more expensive. There seems to be a new formula, less for more cost.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 9:19am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
One thing I have always wondered with milk, is why watered down milk (ie. skimmed and semi-skimmed) is always the same price as whole milk...

Nothing is added to the Milk (ie water), they skim the cream off the top to reduce the fat content and therefore it tastes weaker, but it is not watered down.

Im guessing its the same price as it comes out of the cow full fat, therefore an extra process is required to remove the fat.
Posted By: Wench Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 9:20am
It tastes SO much nicer straight from the cow yumyum
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 9:22am
WHat about filtered milk? Another gimmick...

Organic - never touch the stuff - my body's probably so used to antibiotics and organo-phosphates that I might get ill if I don't keep them topped up omg
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 9:22am
*refrains from a "milking" joke raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 9:23am
Originally Posted by Wench
It tastes SO much nicer straight from the cow yumyum
I hope she don't mind you sucking on her teats raftl
Posted By: bert1 Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 9:32am
I knew this thread would go belly up, or at least slightly up from the belly.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Milk in a bag at Sainsbury's - 26th Feb 2010 9:40am
Its just gone udderly out of control smack
© Wirral-Wikiwirral