Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Over-65s - keep working? - 25th Jan 2010 10:39am
Originally Posted by BBC News
People should be allowed to work beyond the age of 65 and with more flexible hours, the Equality and Human Rights Commission has said.

In the UK a worker can see their employment end at 65, even if they do not want to retire.

Source
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Over-65s - keep working? - 25th Jan 2010 10:40am
That would keep the queues shorter in the Post Office - what a splendid idea grin
Posted By: bert1 Re: Over-65s - keep working? - 25th Jan 2010 10:59am
We should be encouraging people to retire at 65, not make them work longer or even encourage them to. On reaching that certain age we should allow people to rest and live their final years enjoying themselves. Also provisions should be made through out a persons working life that they don't suffer financially, It also frees up jobs for the younger ones who have a life time ahead of them.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Over-65s - keep working? - 25th Jan 2010 11:01am
A counter arguement I heard on the radio this morning was that some people actually like working past 65 - keeps them busy think
Posted By: bert1 Re: Over-65s - keep working? - 25th Jan 2010 11:07am
My father worked till he was 84, against my wishes, only because he was lonely after my mum died, didn't need the money.
I can see that point of view, but there's loads retired people can get up to, you don't need work, should be enjoying yourself.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Over-65s - keep working? - 25th Jan 2010 11:08am
Different strokes for different folks. I wanted to keep on working, they wanted me to, but my pension was salary linked for the last couple of years of service so if I'd stayed on then my pensh would have been reduced because I would have been on pro rata pay. 35 years of radio experience gone to waste as far as I'm concerned, I used to find the job a doddle and could probably do it until I become unable to actually get to the job. Too late now, it's done and dusted and I couldn't be arsed being told what to do by anyone now, which was always my problem anyway if they were talking shoit. Retire, enjoy it, and let the youngsters get a job.

On top of that I worked for 50 years anyway and was due a rest.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral