Forums
If you spent your holiday indoors as rain lashed down on the beach outside, you might have thought that the British summer was a miserable affair. But you would be wrong.

In fact, we basked in three months of above-average temperatures, the Met Office said. The only thing that marred the “barbecue summer” was the wettest July for a century.

With summer coming to an end, figures show that the country’s temperature over the past three months has been 14.8C (58.6F), 0.7C above normal. All three summer months of June, July and August were above the norm.

August turned out to be the warmest for many of us, with England 1C (1.8F) hotter than normal. And over the summer, one of the best regions was the West and North of Scotland, which recorded 1.0C (1.8F) above their regional average for summer.

Source
I have one thing to say......

BOLLOCKS!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Britain has had a hot summer, Met Office claims.. - 1st Sep 2009 10:25am
Originally Posted by Snooze
I have one thing to say......

BOLLOCKS!

withthat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Britain has had a hot summer, Met Office claims.. - 1st Sep 2009 10:45am
I've not seen the sun since early July!
The thing I hate is the nights closing in. Although the recent wintery rain/wind over the weekend which was meant to be in the mid 20's took the piss. I can't say it's been too bad.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Britain has had a hot summer, Met Office claims.. - 1st Sep 2009 10:54am
Originally Posted by Violet
The thing I hate is the nights closing in. Although the recent wintery rain/wind over the weekend which was meant to be in the mid 20's took the piss. I can't say it's been too bad.

I was over in Liverpool for the Music Fest on Sunday and it pissed down all afternoon. Ruined my drinking outside the Ship & Mytre.
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I've not seen the sun since early July!
Did you get locked under the stairs again? think
Originally Posted by summer01
we haven t had a summer at all .this has been 3 years now .i went to a barbicue on sat and it was bucketing down .the guy i felt sorry for trying to do the sausage and burgers.
Its difficult flipping burgers with a brolly in your other hand raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Britain has had a hot summer, Met Office claims.. - 1st Sep 2009 12:09pm
Only summer I saw was the poster above!
Only summer i saw is bright lights in a frigging shop.. As far as i am aware its rained and rained.. smile
But you all forget. We did have a summer at the start of the seson. Remember, heat wave conditions...people constantly complaining that they couldnt sleep. None A/C car owners with their windows fully down 24/7!!

I know, as I had to work with the race cars during that time. Pushing cars around a paddock, working from 7-11 in ridiculous heat, getting sunburnt as we waited for the race to start etc etc.

We had a superb summer, but it caught people by surprise, and no-one was prepared for it. No-one went camping etc. They all waited for the later months, when it starts raining, then we all complain.
My mum actually bought an AirCon unit back in June raftl Maybe she'll get to use it next year think
Originally Posted by Snooze
My mum actually bought an AirCon unit back in June raftl Maybe she'll get to use it next year think

Handy for hot flushes
i dont know where most of you have been this summer but if you thought this summer was bad what did that make last year when we had all them floods in august, and this years wimbledon was the driest for years and the new roof never got used for any rain.
Craig, 7 days of heat is not a summer; it wasnt exactly stellar, and a summer to me should be like 2006, when we had a non-stop heatwave for practically most of June, July and August, with very warm conditions generally between May and September.

We should be glad that we are now in September and looking forward to cooler weather, but we have had that practically all summer.

frown
The trouble is that because we once had a red hot summer from May through to September, we seem to think that should be the norm.
We don't live in the Med and should treat heatwaves as a bonus not an expectation - IMVHO
What hot summer ??
We live in the UK. We're supposed to get nothing but rain. When I was younger, I remember summers being warmer, but do you know why? Its because we used to go on holiday a lot. To me the temperature here hasnt exactly changed as much as everyone suggests.

The Wirral is kept wam during winter months as its by the sea. Unfortunately that also means its kept cooler during the summer months.

If you dont like it, go move to Birmingham happy
It is not so long ago there was hose bans up and down the country and the weather was still crap.We were told to have a bath together and don"t flush the loo unless it"s a Number 2.Bring back Micheal Fish at least we took no notice of him and took waterproofs with us anyway.What happened on barbie weekend?? pisssssed down
Global warming was blamed for the regular droughts and heatwaves throught the 1990's and early 2000's... bring it fookin on if thats the case, everyone should decat their cars and use CFC's till our hearts content.

I love hot, dry summers, at the end of the day, we have long, generally wet and cold, winters, a few months of heat isnt going to hurt anyone!!
We got back from that fine English county of Majorca-shire this morning and frankly I am glad of a break from the heat. 38 degrees with no Aircon was not fun. The overnight temperature in the house was 25.

It's so nice to be able to walk around in dry clothes again!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral