Forums
Posted By: MrPhil Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 5:03pm
Felipe Massa is to undergo surgery after suffering skull damage, cuts and concussion during a high-speed accident in Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying.

The Ferrari driver, 28, slammed head on into a tyre wall after a piece of debris that had fallen off Ruben Barrichello's Brawn car hit his helmet.

Ferrari said his condition upon arrival at a Budapest hospital was "stable" and that the Brazilian was conscious.

He will remain "under observation in intensive care" after the operation.

The incident comes less than a week after Henry Surtees, 18, was killed in what was described as a "freak" accident during a Formula Two race at Brands Hatch.

The son of motorsport legend John Surtees was struck by a wheel which flew off a competitor's car.

Massa - winner of 11 grands prix in his career - did manage to briefly apply the brakes as went off the Hungaroring track before his car hit the tyre wall at around 125mph.

The incident was caused by a car part that had minutes earlier fallen off the rear suspension of Barrichello's Brawn, which subsequently flew up and hit Massa's helmet causing considerable impact.

Massa was swiftly attended to by trackside medics before being taken to the circuit's medical centre after which he was airlifted to hospital for further examination.

sky news

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 5:12pm
Skull damage? Oo-er. I thought he was ok
Posted By: DavidB Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 5:41pm
[youtube]yQlSS2YsMTs[/youtube]
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 6:51pm
looks nasty that!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 7:32pm
breaking news - SSN say hes in life threatening condition following surgery on skull fracture

but ment to be stable
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 8:12pm
not looking good man! frown
Posted By: Wench Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 8:56pm
So sad - very talented driver. I hope he recovers.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 11:37pm
Marshalls should have spotted the debris somad
Posted By: Wench Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 25th Jul 2009 11:55pm
How when it was flying off his car at that time and at that speed ffs. You can't predict something like that happening ergo you can't place the blame at the marshal's feet. Just an unfortunate accident that looks like it may prove fatal judging by that picture of him. Looks like his right pupil is blown - not a good sign.

Rant over grin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 26th Jul 2009 12:26am
It fell off somebodies car earlier, then was kicked up.
Posted By: Wench Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 26th Jul 2009 12:34am
They can't be expected to pick up every single piece of debris "just in case" though. I mean what's the average lap time on that circuit?? 1.30 ish. There is no way that the track can be cleaned up with that kind of lap times, especially as the cars don't all come through together, unless they stop after every lap and have a little brush up.

It's extremely sad but by the very nature of the "job" there are risks that the drivers know and willingly take every time they get in the cars.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 26th Jul 2009 12:44am
F1 - if a marshall spots any debris on track he should wave yellow and red striped flag immediately.
Posted By: Wench Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 26th Jul 2009 12:55am
In practice it's not that easy though. Do they know how long it was between it coming off and being kicked up? We can sit and debate until we're blue in the face but it won't change anything frown

Do we blame the team that own the car it came off? The company that made the car and all parts? The Marshals? The driver who flicked it up? Massa for being there at the wrong place at the wrong time?? Do you see what I'm getting at?? It was just a series of events that yes, probably COULD have been avoided, unfortunately they weren't.

I'm sure they will investigate it though.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 26th Jul 2009 1:06am
There will be an inquiry as to how and why the part came off.

There are two stories as to when the part came off, one says "four seconds", the other says "some minutes", both stating the same car (Barrichello's). I am wondering if it came off Barrichello's car on one lap and was kicked up by Barrichello on another lap, hence the time confusions.

It would be highly unlikely the Marshalls would be penalised, unless it was very obvious they should have seen the part, or they did see it and ignored it.

However I hope it is a reminder to the Marshalls that they have to keep a look out for stuff like this - it can kill.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 26th Jul 2009 1:17am
fookin ell looks bad. hope all is well for him.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 26th Jul 2009 11:54am
Watched this yesterday. Ross Brawn himself said that the spring came off and hurtled down the track towards Massa, so im not sure if people were expecting a race marshall to do a superman act or something, but there was a matter of seconds between the part coming off the car, and hitting Massa, so blaming the marshalls is simply unfair and untrue.

I hate the way people always look for someone to blame and some conspiracy theory in these cases. Even is a marshall did miss it, mistakes happen. If they made an incorrect judement, with only a few seconds to do so, again, mistakes happen. Of course, there are some people in this world who never make a mistake... At the end of qualifying yesterday, nobody knew who was in pole position, thanks to a screw-up by F1, all the drivers were asking each other - F1 obviously made a mistake somewhere along the line, that should'nt happen, but it does. I also love the way people always think they know better than the F1 authorities and teams themselves, just because they watch the races from their armchair (in fact some don't even watch the race and merely comment on what they believe to be happening). BBC 606 is full of this crap.

F1 is a highly dangerous sport, just like any motor racing, accidents will continue to happen from time to time, and it will be the freak accidents that will happen more often, because the safety laws are so strong in F1. Anything that can be predicted has been addressed.

I think Jaci's point is very correct, if people want to look to blame someone, then lets blame everyone involved, including Massa and even the spring itself. Personally, I will just wait for the results of the investigation and in the meantime hope that Massa makes a full recovery.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 28th Jul 2009 9:45am
Heard about this whilst still in Spa at the weekend. Not nice frown

Am I the only person who doesnt like that picture? Seems like if ever anyone is badly injured.. life threatening injuries etc, we have to get pictures as soon as possible.

Request it is removed pleased?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 28th Jul 2009 10:47am
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig

no if we moved everythink that peeps dont like we would have nothink left on the forums. wink
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 28th Jul 2009 11:43am
A lot of the stuff shown on the site shouldnt really be shown in the first place tbh....especially if it concerns local families and friends of families.

If I was involved in a horrific accident, and was badly injured, the last thing Id want would be to have my face pasted everywhere.... not only because Id like to keep some dignity, but its also not the nicest thing for people to see.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 28th Jul 2009 12:11pm
Compromise?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 28th Jul 2009 12:15pm
I see your ponit bud but at the end of the day if its in the news we can post it,were not breaking any laws.
yes Family & friends may get a bit up set seeing the news of there loved one up on a local site but in other cases we have helped family get things of there chest and helped in other ways as you know. wink
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 28th Jul 2009 1:40pm
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig
Heard about this whilst still in Spa at the weekend. Not nice frown

Am I the only person who doesnt like that picture? Seems like if ever anyone is badly injured.. life threatening injuries etc, we have to get pictures as soon as possible.

The pic i posted was on the FRONT page of most Sunday tabloids. Now pick up you dummy.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 28th Jul 2009 6:16pm
Some on here may know that I've moaned about things being posted on here a few times.
As Phil says it was on most front pages the next day and whilst not pleasant, it's nothing that the tabloids aren't showing. Unfortunately, it a sign of the horrible times we live in.

What Craig is saying is a whole different matter. There were a few occasions earlier in the year where the line was over stepped but IMO the balance is about right just now.

Sorry, I know this is off topic!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 29th Jul 2009 9:33am
Looking good... smile

Originally Posted by BBCNews
Doctors treating Ferrari's Felipe Massa say the injured Formula 1 driver may leave hospital within 10 days.

Source
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 29th Jul 2009 11:55am
excellent good news. smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Massa to have surgery after crash - 30th Jul 2009 9:11am
Michael Schumacher's dramatic return to Formula 1
© Wirral-Wikiwirral