Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Private tenant evicted by council - 8th May 2009 11:11am

Private tenant evicted by council

A woman has been evicted from a privately-rented home by a council after neighbours complained of anti-social behaviour by her visitors.
[Linked Image]
Rhonnda Cynon Taf council said the case against Michelle Neal, 38, was the first premises closure order in Wales.

The end-of-terrace house in Aberdare has been boarded up after magistrates heard weeks of abuse, threats and violence led to six arrests.

A neighbour said: "It made our life absolute hell."

The magistrates court hearing last Friday heard that neighbours had complained of continual anti-social behaviour as soon as Ms Neal began renting the Chapel Row property from a private landlord in February this year.

Police were called out 20 times, and a list of 29 incidents was put before magistrates after the council sought a Premise Closure Order, a power which became available to local authorities in December 2008.

Magistrates were told incidents included loud arguing and shouting, with demands for money, kicking of doors, punching windows, groups of young people outside drinking alcohol and blocking the entrance to houses, fighting and loud music.
[Linked Image]
A male visitor urinated over the footpath to another house and exposed himself, the court heard.

One neighbour, who asked to be named only as Mr Davies, said he and his wife made numerous calls to police.

He said: "There was shouting, fighting in the street. I've been verbally threatened, then it escalated to threats to damage our property and to burn our house down and kill our pets."

The court was told a sofa was set alight outside the property.

Mr Davies, 28, said the same night the male visitor was arrested for allegedly exposing himself, the family's car was attacked and £2,000 damage was caused.

He said: "I phoned the police so many times I've lost count. There was one occasion they were fighting outside the house. They threw a glass. It smashed centimetres from my head. It has just been like that."

Mr Davies was one of those who gave evidence against Ms Neal, who faced three charges at Aberdare Magistrates' Court relating to allowing the property to be the focus of persistent disorder and nuisance.

David Jones, head of public safety and protection at Rhondda Cynon Taf council, said the local authority had reluctantly taken out the landmark closure order due to the "extreme circumstances".

'Disgraceful behaviour'

He said: "This is very much a measure of last resort. The visitors to the property were causing such problems to neighbours we acted to return that neighbourhood to quiet normality.

"Our officers tried to get the landlord to intervene but he was reluctant to do so. We would much prefer to deal with this through persuasion and mediation, but the landlord did not want to be involved with all of this."

Insp Steve Meek of South Wales Police said: "This is an extremely serious case and one which I hope will send out a clear message to all communities that we simply will not tolerate such disgraceful behaviour.

"Should this occur elsewhere then the culprits can rest assured that they will feel the full force of the law."

THE BBC
Posted By: ponytail Re: Private tenant evicted by council - 8th May 2009 11:40am
Makes you wonder that if landlords could ask for a deposit and a CRB check then this may not happen!
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Private tenant evicted by council - 8th May 2009 11:55am
I'm afraid "some" landlords don't give a hoot! So long as they are getting the rent paid direct to them from the DHSS or whatever it is now!

I know of a landlord, that admitted to a resident, that had phoned him to complain about a family, that he was under contract to the tenants & he would loose money if he evicted them!
Posted By: Jubbly Re: Private tenant evicted by council - 8th May 2009 11:58am
It annoys me how eviction is always a last resort. It should be 3 strikes you are out end of story. Given that 29 incidents went before the magistrates I am only surprised people didnt take matters into their own hands. We are Such a restrained nation its a joke...
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Private tenant evicted by council - 8th May 2009 12:39pm
Originally Posted by topofthepops
I'm afraid "some" landlords don't give a hoot! So long as they are getting the rent paid direct to them from the DHSS or whatever it is now!

I know of a landlord, that admitted to a resident, that had phoned him to complain about a family, that he was under contract to the tenants & he would loose money if he evicted them!

The law has just recently changed and the rent will no longer be paid from DSS to land lords but to the tenant. It will then be the tenant's responsibility to pay the land lord - can't see that happening.
Posted By: topofthepops Re: Private tenant evicted by council - 11th May 2009 10:05pm
Thanks for the info. I suppose this might only apply to new tenancies?

On initial thoughts, sounds like it my get rid of the trash tenants as they will be spending the rent on drugs, booze & the latest BIG LCD TVs! Then the landlord will be glad to evict them and be more careful who they let the property off to.

But then again, there will be people who just can't manage their money!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral