Forums
Posted By: Wench Grayling declares war on youth violence - 10th Apr 2009 12:48pm
Grayling declares 'war' on youth violence
Thursday, April 9 12:15 pm

The shadow home secretary has called for a clampdown on youth violence, with a pledge to "go to war" on anti-social behaviour. Chris Grayling made the call, following the "grotesque attack" on two young boys in Doncaster.

Speaking at an event hosted by think tank Policy Exchange, he said the incident served as a "stark snapshot" of Britain's 'Broken Society'.

Grayling made a connection between minor acts of anti-social behaviour and the "brutality" of more serious violence.

He warned that a small minority were now causing "a life of misery for all", and that aggression between children had become "too much of a norm",

It is time to "reclaim our streets", as more law-abiding people feel like prisoners in their own homes, he said.

Grayling outlined plans for a new "grounding order" tackling anti-social behaviour.

But he warned that fixing the 'Broken Society' will be a long and difficult process.

"One step we can take quickly is to go to war on antisocial behaviour," he said.

"It's about time we learned, as a society, as parents, as teachers, as police, to say no. It's time we spent a bit more time worrying about the wrongs in our society, and a bit less about the rights of those who are disrupting it.

"It's time that children realised that they can be told to stop it by a teacher or a policeman and that, sometimes, they just have to do what they are told."

He added: "Young people have to learn that when an adult makes a decision they have to listen - the adult doesn't have to "earn the respect" of the young person."

Source

I have to say that I don't agree with the last statement - respect does have to be earned to a point in this case. How can you respect an adult that acts in such a way that is, in certain situations, worse than the children in question?? Do children not learn by example think
Posted By: DavidB Re: Grayling declares war on youth violence - 10th Apr 2009 1:11pm
Unfortunately, he is the shadow home secretary, and I think this is just something to get the votes. frown
The police need to get out of their cars and back on the beat, and take all the concentration away from motorists. It's been said for years and years, but nothing is ever done.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Grayling declares war on youth violence - 10th Apr 2009 1:16pm
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. "

Written by Socrates around 400BC, it's nice to see the topic of conversation hasn't changed much after all these years.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Grayling declares war on youth violence - 10th Apr 2009 2:26pm
Nice!
Though I think he'd be horrified if he saw them today.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Grayling declares war on youth violence - 10th Apr 2009 5:22pm
Quote "Unfortunately, he is the shadow home secretary"

You can hope he (or some similar thinking successor) will not have shadow status for ever

My Mrs is from outside UK and is generally horrified at the weakness of the UK law (or at least the interpretation of it) and the excessive bowing to so-called "human rights". She and I have both lived in countries where the law is law (a life sentence means life) and any application of human rights is with a large slug of common sense.

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral