Forums
Posted By: Wench Boris gives thumbs up for St George!! - 22nd Mar 2009 2:09pm
Mayor announces St George's plans
Sunday, March 22 10:02 am

St George's Day will be celebrated in London with a week of free events after being "ignored" in the capital for "far too long", Mayor Boris Johnson said.

Mr Johnson will hop on an iconic Routemaster bus to visit London's historic Leadenhall Market for food and drink-based festivities on April 23, after flying the St George's Cross outside City Hall.

The celebrations will also include a concert of folk-inspired music in Trafalgar Square and a Shakespeare day at the Globe theatre.

Mr Johnson said: "St George's Day has been ignored in London for far too long, but I'm truly pleased to announce some fantastic events to mark this occasion.

"We have much to be proud of in this great country; England has given so much to the world politically, socially and artistically.

"St George's Day is a time to celebrate the very best of everything English and the Cross of St George will proudly fly outside City Hall on April 23."

The Trafalgar Square concert 'Contemporary Music, English Roots' will be staged on Saturday April 25 from 12.30pm to 6pm. Artists include singer/songwriter Seth Lakeman, violinist Eliza Carthy and folk singer Bishi.

On April 19, a free family event will take place at the Globe to mark the 400th anniversary of the publication of Shakespeare's sonnets.

Well done Boris!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Boris gives thumbs up for St George!! - 22nd Mar 2009 2:36pm
Excellent news.

And if anyone complains that its racist etc...then they can go back home raftl
Posted By: bert1 Re: Boris gives thumbs up for St George!! - 22nd Mar 2009 2:41pm
Now the rest of the country should follow.
Posted By: uggla Re: Boris gives thumbs up for St George!! - 22nd Mar 2009 3:51pm
Boris is a complete pratt but this is about time
Posted By: Wench Re: Boris gives thumbs up for St George!! - 22nd Mar 2009 3:59pm
Couldn't agree more uggla - I'm starting to like him.....a lot raftl
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Boris gives thumbs up for St George!! - 22nd Mar 2009 4:14pm
Does this mean I can get my flag out and wave it in the street without being arresticated?
Posted By: Wench Re: Boris gives thumbs up for St George!! - 22nd Mar 2009 4:16pm
I'm hoping so raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral