Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV - 24th Jan 2009 11:30pm
A teenage pupil has been withdrawn from her school after CCTV cameras were installed in the pupils' toilets.

Anthony White, from Llandysul told a newspaper that the cameras at Ysgol Dyffryn Teifi in Ceredigion were an "outrageous invasion" of privacy.

He said his 14-year-old daughter has also said she will not return to school while the cameras are still there.

But Ceredigion Council said it had installed the cameras after incidents of "major concern" were reported.

Mr White told the Carmarthen Journal that he had taken his daughter out of the school over the cameras.

"I think its an invasion of her privacy," he told the paper.

"The whole place is like they're on Big Brother. There are cameras all around the school, outside and in the corridors."

Cleaning staff

Ceredigion Council, which is the school's local education authority (LEA), issued a statement saying the CCTV footage in the school's toilet was only examined if an incident was reported.

"The LEA understands the equipment to have been installed owing to pupils and cleaning staff reporting incidents that were of major concern to them," the statement said.

"However, it is further understood that the CCTV footage is only examined should an incident be reported either by pupils or the cleaning staff.

"Any such viewing of CCTV footage is undertaken by senior members of staff having Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) clearance. "

'Appropriate action'

The council said no other schools in Ceredigion are using CCTV in toilet areas used by pupils.

"The Ceredigion LEA draws attention to the fact that pupil surveys undertaken throughout the country continually show situations that arise in school toilet areas are one of the main concerns expressed by pupils," the statement continued.

"Schools are, of course, required to consider the views and concerns of their pupils and take appropriate action.

"In this instance, the Ceredigion LEA concludes that Ysgol Dyffryn Teifi considered the concerns expressed by its pupils and acted accordingly.

"The Ceredigion LEA further understands that the school's actions have already shown significant improvements."

THE BBC
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV - 24th Jan 2009 11:39pm
As an ex CCTV engineer,I understood that CCTV was illegal to be placed in toilets even if there was signs informing people that they maybe filmed in the area.The school can actualy be prosecuted under many legislations,voyeurism being one of them.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV - 25th Jan 2009 1:45pm
A DOZEN schools across Wirral have installed CCTV in toilets, according to Wirral Council.

The revelation follows our story last week about a pupil at Hilbre High School in West Kirby who was given a detention for blocking a toilet camera with Blu-Tack.

His parents said they were horrified to find the school had installed CCTV and said it was an invasion of his privacy.

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...-cameras-in-toilet-areas-80491-21982073/
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV - 25th Jan 2009 2:17pm
I new there was a school in the paper not so long ago about it. thanks Shambo[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rhobit Re: Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV - 27th Jan 2009 8:49am
Sue em for emotional distress and a breach of human rights legislation I say.

all them fooking little hitlers should be find up the ying yang for it.
Posted By: Wench Re: Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV - 27th Jan 2009 1:14pm
I believe there is cctv in the toilets in the Mersey Clipper.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Pupil withdrawn over toilets CCTV - 27th Jan 2009 1:27pm
that would be correct

Mersey Clipper does have CCTV in the toilets
© Wirral-Wikiwirral