Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 3:08am
From the bbc site.

Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.

The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.

The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.

Ministers are planning to help councils draw up digital maps with details of the legal speed on every road.

The system uses satellite positioning to check its location and when the speed exceeds the limit, power is reduced and the brakes are applied if necessary.

It has been well-trialled, and the Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, which both advise the government, are calling on ministers to promote a wide introduction of the system.

The advisers believe it should be voluntary but say drivers who have tried it, liked not having to worry about exceeding the limit.

However, the BBC's transport correspondent Tom Symonds said the report is likely to be rejected by some motoring groups which believe the government overestimates the importance of speed in causing accidents.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 10:46am
If an accident occurs such as a tyre blowout on a truck, and your by the side of it.. you wont be able to accelerate away from the large piece of metal hurtling towards you !!!!!!!

Pathetic idea IMHO

Stop Wasting Tax Payers Money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 2:02pm
Originally Posted by AlfaCraig
If an accident occurs such as a tyre blowout on a truck, and your by the side of it.. you wont be able to accelerate away from the large piece of metal hurtling towards you !!!!!!!

Pathetic idea IMHO

Stop Wasting Tax Payers Money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is a good point bud. i never looked at it like that.

Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 5:16pm
Does this apply to emergency vehicles too? if you were stuck in front of one you would be slowing them down on single track roads.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 5:21pm
2 very good points

ALSO

what if the system get's it wrong?

what i mean by this is look at the current sat nav systems... occasionally they think you are on a totalling different road

Say you are on a motorway running 70mph by the machine, it gets it wrong and says you are on the 40mph road running alongside.... is it going to make you brake to reduce speed ??

Quite a few accidents are caused by the idiot a few cars ahead breaking for no reason

They need to go away and think about this

WASTE OF TAX PAYER'S MONEY
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 6:15pm
stop wining, it`l never happen anyway!
Posted By: Ducko Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 6:26pm
what a load of bollocks
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 6:27pm
Im sure I saw a trial for this sort of thing on Tomorrows World years and years ago and they said it would be in use by now.

Its not, its a stupid idea, and it wont grin
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Calls for 'speed-limiting' cars - 30th Dec 2008 7:49pm
It's a load of cr*p. My Sat Nav now will tell me if (when!) I'm going over the speed limit. If I want to slow down then I take my foot off the gas, I don't need some limiter doing it for me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral