Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 25th Aug 2008 11:38pm
THE Home Office has lost 43 laptops and 94 mobiles over the last three years in the latest data bungle to hit the gaffe-prone department.

It comes days after a memory stick containing the details of all 84,000 prisoners in England and Wales was misplaced.
The loss of the computers and phones was revealed after a query by Tory peer Lord Hanningfield. He said it was a “woeful failure” and called for an inquiry, adding: “Given the sensitivity of the Home Office’s work — including its lead role in the fight against terrorism — this is all the more worrying.

“This is, of course, also the Government department with responsibility for ID cards.
“There now needs to be an urgent review of what data was lost on these laptops, its sensitivity and possible impact on any work — as well as a wider review of the Home Office’s security policy.”

A total of 15 laptops and 47 mobiles were lost by Home Office staff in 2007.

The year before 14 laptops and ten mobiles went missing, while in 2005 14 laptops and 37 mobiles were mislaid.
It is the latest in a string of embarrassing IT losses for Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.
Last November, two discs containing the financial details of 25million families on the child benefit database went missing.
And it emerged last week that Government officials lost the details of 300,000 people a MONTH in the year up to April 2008.
A laptop containing the details of 17,000 Sats exam markers was also stolen.
Last December it emerged that details of three million learner drivers from the UK had gone missing in America.

Shadow Home Secretary Dominic Grieve said last night: “If the Home Office cannot safeguard such basic equipment, how can they be trusted to deliver ID cards containing the personal data of millions?”
A Home Office spokesman said they did not believe the lost laptops or phones contained “sensitive or classified information”.
He added: “The Home Office is determined to learn from earlier security breaches and is committed to ensuring our systems and processes to protect personal data are as good as they can be.”

no
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 1:35am
huh?

Thats an awfull lot to go missing (convieniently)
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 1:42am
well that might explain how crap our country is as if they cant look after the techcnology then how they gonna look after our country.

but i agree wid ste its a hell of alot to go missin think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 1:43am
thinking the same me self are kid. think(or are they getting sold for beer money) laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 1:46am
lol laugh
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 2:00am
Originally Posted by jason24v6
think(or are they getting sold for beer money) laugh

wouldn put it past our country to do sumit like this
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 8:32am
alot of technology using applications on demand delete all data onn a laptop if it hasn't been connected to the network in x amount of days. Wonder if they do anything like this? If the government was a blue chip company, they would be fined millions for this.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 9:45am
thats a very good point there ax 125 wink
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 10:03am
Christ smile the goverment are meant to destroy all data.. Not sell it.. Well if you think about it they would get loads of money for a laptop with personal details wouldnt they or the fact the goverment employ noobs and there so dumb to leave there car window or something..
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 4:53pm
So now they're going to hold yet another enquiry which will cost you and me god knows how much!
Let's do it for them...............
Some over paid know it all broke every rule in the book.
Sack the little fecker and all his / her bosses
Charge them with breaking the Offical Secrets Act - I'm assuming that if it's government data, they would have had to sign.
Stick them in the nick and throw away the key.
Sorted!!!!
That'll be £1 million please
somad
Posted By: jadeCere Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 4:57pm
please have a look

Attached picture Jade's world.JPG
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 5:00pm
offtopic offtopic offtopic offtopic

Its getting beyond a Joke now
Posted By: mike849 Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 5:01pm
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
offtopic offtopic offtopic offtopic

Its getting beyond a Joke now

raftl raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 5:03pm
jade your well offtopic i think you need to go an give ye head a wobble and come back when you have grew up
Posted By: mike849 Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 5:03pm
Originally Posted by jason24v6
jade your well offtopic i think you need to go an give ye head a wobble and come back when you have grew up

raftl thumbsup
Posted By: mike849 Re: Home Office has lost 43 laptops - 26th Aug 2008 5:07pm
what is it with laptops going missing recently a military one was stolen about 6-7 months ago and it had my details on it the MOD sent me a letter to tell me what details were on the laptop luckily not my bank details
© Wirral-Wikiwirral