Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Those flyovers! - 26th Jan 2021 3:12pm
Liverpool looks so much better without the horrible disfiguring flyovers.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of the Wirral road engineers to find a way of rejigging the road system in Birkenhead to get rid of those in Birkenhead too. A lot of it runs over existing road systems, or where they used to be so it shouldn't be too difficult. Improved public transport and the new tunnel has actually reduced the traffic from the days when they were built.

Time to get rid, I say!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Those flyovers! - 27th Jan 2021 3:29am
It can be done.

Widen the Clifton Crescent Roundabout on the south side to make it bidirectional (basically killing it as a roundabout) then head into a rejigging of Kings Square and Borough Road East for the borough road tunnel traffic.

Change the route of the A41 to go down the haymarket/railway line instead of round Woodside.

A few other bits would need some smaller changes, I haven't mapped out the traffic flows.

There is a good chance that this could be done without long winded road closures with some decent planning.

But its the cost, Liverpool was forced to take down their flyovers because they were falling apart and irreparable. I'm sure we have more important thing to spend money on in the next few years of recovery than the aesthetics of having flyovers.

I'm sure the nice open area created in Liverpool with views of the old buildings will be filled up with yet more high-rise junk student accommodation even though the student accommodation market will collapse. Probably end up as even more half-finished projects.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral