Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Leisure Centres Re-Open - or NOT - 27th Oct 2020 9:59pm
Big news from the Council yesterday that the Leisure Centres were re-opening - well look at this list and judge if that is true. (note that "opening" may not mean open immediately)

West Kirby Baths - Opening
West Kirby Gym - Opening
Guinea Gap Gym - Opening
Guinea Gap Baths - Opening
Europa Baths - Opening

Europa Gym - Closed
Oval Baths - Closed
Oval Gym - Closed
Oval Sports Hall - Closed
Wirral Tennis Gym - Closed
Wirral Tennis Sports Hall - Closed
Leasowe Gym - Closed
Leasowe Baths - Closed
Leasowe Sports Hall - Closed
Woodchurch Baths - Closed
Woodchurch Gym - Closed
Woodchurch Sports Hall - Closed

I guess squash courts are closed, there are separate details for outdoor sports.

So basically the smaller places are opening and the larger centres are being closed.

Why people can swim together but people even from the same household can't play Badminton is crazy. The amount of airborne Chlorine at the baths is not sufficient to instantly kill airborne CV and I doubt the chlorine in the water is sufficiently strong to do likewise.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Leisure Centres Re-Open - or NOT - 28th Oct 2020 9:31am
It is strange that only a small number are allowed to open.
Regarding the Oval and Leasowe, it states "The Oval and Leasowe Leisure Centres will remain closed for the foreseeable future as the buildings continue to provide essential support to the COVID response, both now and over winter."
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Leisure Centres Re-Open - or NOT - 28th Oct 2020 9:51am
Could some of these leisure centres be closed for possible use as field hospitals? Or Morgues?
Posted By: granny Re: Leisure Centres Re-Open - or NOT - 28th Oct 2020 10:55am

They probably don;t need a large number open atm. and chosen the ones that provide for the majority.

Mostly classes at Oval and Leasowe, for which they possibly can;t get the instructors, and not viable if people haven;t registered and paid for classes, so to open just for swimming is a huge expense.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Leisure Centres Re-Open - or NOT - 28th Oct 2020 11:22am
Originally Posted by granny

They probably don;t need a large number open atm. and chosen the ones that provide for the majority.

Mostly classes at Oval and Leasowe, for which they possibly can;t get the instructors, and not viable if people haven;t registered and paid for classes, so to open just for swimming is a huge expense.

But the Oval and Leasowe are being used, 'to provide essential support to the COVID response,' so I'd assume opening the baths will bring in extra income.

Originally Posted by Excoriator
Could some of these leisure centres be closed for possible use as field hospitals? Or Morgues?

Highly unlikely, that is something that would be all over the news.
As for a need of large scale morgues, I don't think we are anywhere near needing one.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Leisure Centres Re-Open - or NOT - 28th Oct 2020 1:39pm
I think they have in mind that the sports halls are reserve Morgues but that is no reason to have them closed beforehand, You can have a container outside full of bodybags in readiness and chill systems can be set up in hours.

I thought they would use the Sports Halls as large classrooms to maintain distancing between kids and staff, but anything to do with social distancing and face-masks just isn't happening with schools, outside the school gates at leaving time its like a Merseyside derby match with parents and kids climbing over each other.

Europa baths are opening but Europa is a Covid test centre?

I though the Oval was a test centre but its not listed?

Covid is right on the edge of a cliff, its continually mutating, some mutations are going to be less harmful but some could be more virulent or more deadly. Some other countries are struggling more than us to control their strains despite having stricter measures in place.
Posted By: granny Re: Leisure Centres Re-Open - or NOT - 28th Oct 2020 9:25pm

They aren;t going to be reserve morgues !!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral