Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper HSBS Banks Closing etc - 25th Feb 2020 6:03pm
Heswall and Wallasey HSBC banks are to close.

From my reckoning, those banks that are left ..

Barclays - Six --- Birkenhead, Liscard, Bromborough, West Kirby, Heswall and Moreton.
Lloyds - Six --- Moreton, Wallasey, Birkenhead, Prenton, Heswall and Bromborough.
Natwest - Four --- Bebington, Birkenhead, Liscard and West Kirby.
Santander --- Three - Birkenhead, Wallasey and Heswall.
Nationwide --- Three - Birkenhead, Bromborough and Heswall.
HSBC - Two --- Birkenhead and Bromborough
Co-operative --- none.
Tesco????

However some of the banks' services can be found at the Post Office, please use the Post Offices as much as possible to keep them alive.

Feel free to inform of any errors.
Posted By: lincle Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 25th Feb 2020 6:49pm
Dont think Lloyds in Moreton anymore Digging.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 25th Feb 2020 6:52pm
Originally Posted by lincle
Dont think Lloyds in Moreton anymore Digging.

It was supposed be closing 6th May 2020 apparently.
Posted By: granny Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 25th Feb 2020 8:38pm

What happens if our bank closes. Looks like mine will do.

Do they send you to another branch. Issue and new Debit card, Inform all the companies, and Gov. pensions etc. ?

It seems like another rigmarole to plough through. I'm tired of all this change. Too much to grasp.

We can now pay cheques on our phones apparently . Well, half the time I can't even remember my security code to log on..... doing it all on those little screens is a recipe for disaster. IMO.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 25th Feb 2020 9:14pm
Some (all?) banks have a central address for all direct debit handling etc, so that nothing needs changing in the event of branch closure. They don't need a bank address any longer, many don't ask for it. In reality it never mattered which branch it went to.

The sort-code is usually re-tagged to another branch. One of my accounts has had to change branch three times with successive closures, I think the sort code is the same for multiple branches in the area.

I do most of my banking on my phone, its far easier than doing it on the computer, fingerprint login so I don't need to remember the plethora of pin numbers etc.

I haven't had a cheque book for years, as I can hardly write its no great loss. Do people still carry cheque books and pens with them?

I also have at least two current accounts on the go, two debit cards and two credit cards so that if anything happens to one I still have another to play with, its got me out of a pickle a few times. At the moment one of my cards has randomly stopped working yet again, happens once or twice a year.
Posted By: granny Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 25th Feb 2020 11:03pm

OK. Thanks for that. I'm not convinced it will be all smooth flowing, but one step at a time. I still get cheques through the post a few times a year. Don't know how that one will be sorted.

NatWest still have a branch (or sub branch) at Port Sunlight. Open everyday.
Posted By: MisterSmiff Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 26th Feb 2020 12:41am
A whole three Halifaxes in all of Wirral, apparently (Birkenhead, Liscard, Heswall).

I can't remember when the cubicle inside Jones & Chapman's in Moreton closed, but I hope I get to keep their extremely easy-to-remember sort code when I have to renew my Debit Card.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 26th Feb 2020 5:51pm
Originally Posted by MisterSmiff
A whole three Halifaxes in all of Wirral, apparently (Birkenhead, Liscard, Heswall)

I knew I'd forgotten some banks, I think there is at least one more yet, I lost track with all the takeovers between banks and building societies.
Posted By: assassin Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 26th Feb 2020 7:41pm
Yorkshire???
Posted By: Greenwood Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 26th Feb 2020 9:36pm
I have to go into Birkenhead if I want to visit my HSBC branch, which to be fair is not that far, but I can pay in cheques at my local Post Office. I don't do online or telephone banking.
Posted By: assassin Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 26th Feb 2020 10:10pm
Lol I wonder if I can ring the bank and say "this is a stick up put the money in a bag and post it to..... Lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 27th Feb 2020 1:48am
Originally Posted by assassin
Yorkshire???

Good one (literally).

Yorkshire Bank - Birkenhead.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 27th Feb 2020 9:45pm
Yorkshire Building Society in Liscard.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 27th Feb 2020 11:38pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Yorkshire Building Society in Liscard.

There are Yorkshire Building Society in Heswall and West Kirby as well but I don't think they offer full banking services (?) whereas Birkenhead is a bank.
Posted By: casper Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 28th Feb 2020 9:16am
All in the master plan to force us to use automated and on line banking, supermarkets have cut down on manned tills by half, cash machine broke down yesterday, big queues at the window the way forward they tell us, well I like good ole sausage and mash, bees and honey, lemon dash.
Posted By: BultacoAstro Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 28th Feb 2020 9:52am
My Bank the Halifax opposite the Pyramid is constantly busy as believe with other Banks shutting most just joined. As you can still transfer money to Family members as the other banks wear stopping it. I only like cash as once just before Xmas went in to Bank put card in got balance and just walked away. So lucky a Nice lady closed and ejected card and handed in. If criminal type behind me could of changed pin and emptied my account over Xmas as never Noticed till New Years Eve. Need to go to Bank before it shuts have few thousand in old £20 to hand in before worthless
Posted By: Fidelio Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 28th Feb 2020 12:43pm
Hi Bultaco, it may not be wise to advertise on here the fact that you have thousands of pounds at home, the low life may be able to recognise you from your interest in motorbikes and other snippets that you have revealed. I hope not.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 1st Mar 2020 11:19pm
Right naffed off when they closed the Lloyds in West Kirby and the Nat West in Heswall as I have an account in one and am treasurer for a club which has an account in the other.
Posted By: granny Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 2nd Mar 2020 2:03pm
I'm not too sure what they are hoping to achieve with all the closures over the years. It's certainly not a service for the general public any longer, although it became a necessity to have a bank account.

A bit like the brown bins... we had to have one, and then we were forced to pay for it ! laugh

Plus, it's not doing too much towards the environment and the carbon footprint . laugh laugh
Posted By: Touchstone Re: HSBS Banks Closing etc - 6th Mar 2020 5:34pm
Yorkshire Bank is Birkenhead to close this August.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral