Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Huge Tide - 21st Feb 2019 10:25am
After the recent supermoon we will have a huge 33ft tide today just after noon.
Posted By: granny Re: Huge Tide - 21st Feb 2019 11:04am

Yikes ! At least it's not windy.

I remember a few years ago when Woodside terminal was flooded. Water up through the entrance hall and out through the front doors !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Huge Tide - 21st Feb 2019 2:00pm
Fair bit of water at Parkgate, plenty of birdwatchers around seeing what pops up.

Attached picture P1320550-s.jpg
Attached picture P1320551-s.jpg
Attached picture P1320553-s.jpg
Attached picture P1320554-s.jpg
Attached picture P1320555-s.jpg
Attached picture P1320560-s.jpg
Posted By: venice Re: Huge Tide - 21st Feb 2019 8:06pm
Weird isnt it , sometimes a much less expected height turns out to come in much higher even without wind . Was lovely down there today though in the sun. Little water vole or something like that was sitting timidly by the donkey stand grooming himself and chomping on something in one of the cut throughs in the wall. Dead cute.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Huge Tide - 21st Feb 2019 8:47pm
Yes, we went there today, glorious day, lots of voles and shrews scurrying around.A great sight to behold, saw a pintail dive onto a vole that was trying to get to dry land and fly off with it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Huge Tide - 21st Feb 2019 9:55pm
I should have mentioned the high tides also bring the low tides and you see a bit more than usual around Hilbre Island etc.

We went to New Brighton for the high tide, even though the waves were small they were splashing over the wall in places. Shot down to Parkgate afterwards so about 30 mins after high tide.
Posted By: granny Re: Huge Tide - 25th Feb 2019 3:52pm

Hilbre Island rescue over the weekend !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-47355484
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Huge Tide - 25th Feb 2019 5:32pm
It would be pretty scary on Little Eye but it is beyond me why anyone needs rescuing from the tide on Hilbre, you just wait a couple of hours and the tide goes out.
Posted By: granny Re: Huge Tide - 25th Feb 2019 8:48pm

Could depend on the time of day, but when panic sets in, there's not really any alternative to those who are obviously unaware of tide times, and they obviously were not aware ..
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Huge Tide - 25th Feb 2019 9:11pm
In these technologically advanced times you'd think there'd be some sort of electronic noticeboard by the slipway like they have on the motorways, programmed with the tide times and showing 'last safe crossing time/ next safe crossing time/' DO NOT CROSS' etc. This weekend was ridiculous and could have been tragic. Some idiots will always take unnecessary risks, but it might stop the merely unwary getting into trouble.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Huge Tide - 25th Feb 2019 9:53pm
There is a limit to how much you can wet-nurse some people, surely everybody has heard of "tides". There was a board up at one time but it was still being ignored with people heading out (with kids!) even though there were loads of people arriving back. Then there are the ones that try to cut the corner and finding they can't.

It would be a legal nightmare putting up a sign that says it is "safe" (even inferred), the amount of required small print would fill the lake.

There is an extensive notice board outside the ice cream shop, I bet it gives details of times.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Huge Tide - 26th Feb 2019 10:03am
I sometimes think they do it on purpose for a free ride in the hovercraft or speedboat.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral