Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Brief brown-out in New Ferry - 11th Feb 2019 10:53pm
Mid-morning today, the lights suddenly went very dim, and slowly got dimmer for about five or ten minutes. Clearly a big drop in voltage.It was then just as suddenly restored.

It was enough to scramble the brains of my piano (electric) changing the settings on it, and the boiler was so baffled by the event it stopped work entirely, and had to be coaxed back to work by power cycling it.

My desktop carried on as normal and so did the monitors on it. I guess they have switchmode supplies that will operate down to about 100 volts.

Did anyone else notice this?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Brief brown-out in New Ferry - 12th Feb 2019 12:15pm
I have an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) beside me which kicks in very quickly (and noisily) with any drop. This happened a few nights ago sometime between 3am and 6am iirc for less than one second. Not noticed anything today in CH42 land but I wasn't here between 1030 and 1130.

I got fed up with my computers etc getting corrupted by brown/black outs and the occasional elcb tripping out (failing kettles, washing machines etc) hence I invested in a UPS when I installed CCTV. I still panic when it kicks in.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral