Forums
Posted By: assassin Birkenhead tip on fire - 6th Nov 2018 12:11am
Someone has set the tip on firelink
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Birkenhead tip on fire - 6th Nov 2018 2:24am
At Duke St Cleveland St.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead tip on fire - 6th Nov 2018 2:43am
No, it was recycling place on corner of Cleveland and Cavendish, they have been piling up rubbish for a while now. i said it was going to have a fire, fairly predictable, the same as many other waste/recycling places on Merseyside have.

The building was piled high with stuff as well as the outside yard, it didn't look like they were recycling so much as collecting.

I think it is Eco Recycling NW Limited.

There are an awful lot of waste/recycling companies with "Eco" in their name had fire all around the country.
Posted By: OldRed Re: Birkenhead tip on fire - 6th Nov 2018 7:04am
Wirral Council Environmental Health department should be held to count over this. The place has built up consistently with no evidence of any recycling taking place. For the local residents it must have been a nightmare watching this tip grow and not knowing what vermin or rubbish was present. A huge eyesore has now become a huge fire, I wonder if insurance is involved.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Birkenhead tip on fire - 6th Nov 2018 7:53am
OldRed, I doubt insurance is involved. Probably more a case of reducing the amount of rubbish on the site in the cheapest way possible.Over the time it has been building up I have seen hundreds of tons going in, never have I seen anything coming out. How the council had not spotted what was going happen is beyond me. Everyone i ever spoke to all thought the same, that it would either have a mysterious fire or the people running it would disappear and leave the clean up to someone else.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Birkenhead tip on fire - 9th Nov 2018 11:30pm
First time i passed it i thought wow thats some flytipping
Posted By: venice Re: Birkenhead tip on fire - 11th Nov 2018 8:14pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
First time i passed it i thought wow thats some flytipping

A Firefly? laugh

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead tip on fire - 19th Dec 2019 3:04am
A prosecution was brought against Gareth Wyn director of the now dissolved Eco Recycling NW Ltd for operating an illegal waste site by Environment Agency. The outcome was a sentence of 6 months imprisonment suspended for 18 months, 200 hrs of unpaid work & up to 15 days rehabilitation activity. He was also ordered to contribute £1,500 towards the cost of bringing the prosecution and to pay a victim surcharge of £115.

The last thing I heard from the site's owner was that he didn't consider himself responsible for the accumulating waste and more was still arriving without his permission. This ended up in a bit of a gridlock between the owner W & J Kern Properties and the Environment Agency as to who was going to pay for the removal of the waste which would be in the tens of thousands of pounds. W & J Kern Properties lost an appeal against an enforcement notice.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral