Forums
Posted By: venice Crash on A540 Leahurst entrance. - 18th Apr 2018 7:33pm
Im hoping no-one was hurt in a crash outside Leahurst Vet Centre this afternoon . Lord knows what had happened as there was a modern mini involved one side of the dual carriagway , and an old Fiesta on the Leahurst side . The Fiesta only seemed to have a bashed wing, but the Mini was more crushed up from the bonnet .The two damages didnt seem to make sense, so there may have also been a third vehicle maybe already removed. I was interested (never seen airbags post accident) and pleased to see all the airbags had gone off in the mini - right round in front of the side windows, as well as the dash/boss airbags. Hopefully that will have meant the occupants were not hurt badly , and Im guessing it will have kept most of the side window glass away from their faces too.
Someone was telling me airbags shoot out at phenominal speeds which is why in the current test , they expect you to know that that is one of the reasons you hold the wheel at 10 -2 to both protect your arms from being broken ,and to not interfere with the expanding of the bag --anyone know if thats true or rubbish?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Crash on A540 Leahurst entrance. - 18th Apr 2018 8:21pm
The arms thing sounds like something dreamt up after the event, the bags are unlikely to break an arm but they could dislocate a finger or two I suppose. They can really hurt you skin with the massive slap on your face and the slightly dodgy powder doesn't help.

Th Chester High Road has always been a dangerous road, on one occasion it had the highest insurance payout of any car accident in the UK and also had the highest accident rate of any road outside London. I used it every day and was only was involved in one accident (someone went through a red light straight in front of me) but I had a lot of near misses, many of them caused by drivers panicking when there is a car tailgating them at silly close distances.

The Leahurst section used to be bad for accidents in winter but there have been non-weather related accidents there as well. The Leahurst junction has been improved and has good visibility now (unless the grass has grown too high and not been cut, something which caused a bad accident near Two Miills) but drivers are only human and mistakes are made.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Crash on A540 Leahurst entrance. - 18th Apr 2018 8:34pm
As far as I know people have always been taught to drive with their hands at 10 to 2, I know I was in the early 60s, and all my family has.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Crash on A540 Leahurst entrance. - 18th Apr 2018 8:57pm
Originally Posted by locomotive
As far as I know people have always been taught to drive with their hands at 10 to 2, I know I was in the early 60s, and all my family has.

Yes, they say 10-to-2 and have added quarter-to-three as an option. I do quarter-to-2 on bends but find any high position tiring on the arms if used for long periods (unless you are right against the steering wheel) so on motorways etc I do 25-to-3 roughly.

If the 10-to-2 position is used at higher speeds during relaxed driving there is a tendency to over-steer and yank it round too fast in a situation and totally lose control.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Crash on A540 Leahurst entrance. - 18th Apr 2018 9:29pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-broken-bones-warns-danger-a7883716.html

Never put your feet on the dashboard!
Posted By: venice Re: Crash on A540 Leahurst entrance. - 18th Apr 2018 9:31pm
Ah, there may be something in it. Thought Id flick through some sites - theres quite a few but mostly American .

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/wheel-of-misfortune/
Posted By: venice Re: Crash on A540 Leahurst entrance. - 18th Apr 2018 9:33pm
Good advice Rude lol-
© Wirral-Wikiwirral