Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Cold Weather Payments - 7th Mar 2018 11:00pm
Cold weather payments have been triggered for most (or maybe all) Wirral postcodes for those in receipt of certain benefits (see HERE).

The criteria is that "the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days".

I can only presume I'm living on a different Wirral because the temperatures I've seen don't meet that criteria. Its unusual for the Government to be handing out money so I guess its not a bad thing. The amount is £25 for each 7 day period.

Eligible Wirral postcodes are CH41, CH42, CH43, CH44, CH45, CH46, CH47, CH48, CH49, CH60, CH61, CH62, CH63 and CH64.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Cold Weather Payments - 8th Mar 2018 8:38am
The Temperature is decided by the Crosby weather station, so maybe Crosby was suffering more than the Wirral. Shhhh!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Cold Weather Payments - 8th Mar 2018 9:24am
Originally Posted by Habdab
The Temperature is decided by the Crosby weather station, so maybe Crosby was suffering more than the Wirral. Shhhh!

Crosby is colder but I can't see 7 consecutive days where the average was below zero, perhaps it was forecasted.

Attached picture 2018-03-08_092115.jpg
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Cold Weather Payments - 8th Mar 2018 11:42am
There are other criteria too. You have to be receiving benefits to receive it at all. I suspect the wind-chill factor may be taken into consideration as well.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Cold Weather Payments - 8th Mar 2018 1:58pm
The Cold Weather Payments (Wind Chill Factor) Bill was filibustered in 1998.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cold Weather Payments - 8th Mar 2018 11:27pm
looking forward to a nice fat cheque through the letterbox. It says the "average" was below zero so if you get a few days at -4 0r-5 that will help bring the average down if its gone above 0 . Wonder who gets paid it... I potentially have 2 people in the household who could be eligible ..neither are the home owner
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Cold Weather Payments - 9th Mar 2018 12:34am
Eligibility criteria is here https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility

You have to look at the detail further down the page, not just the initial list.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cold Weather Payments - 18th Mar 2018 10:00am
£25 cold weather payment received. Covers a bit of the increase in council tax..
© Wirral-Wikiwirral